Easy Tzatziki Sauce
Traditional Greek Tzatziki sauce with cucumber, dill and mint!
Posted By Savita
Flavorful and easy Tzatziki sauce, a Greek yogurt and cucumber sauce with traditional tzatziki seasonings - garlic, cumin, black pepper, lemon, and fresh herbs. If you have never tried Tzatziki? then this yogurt sauce is must try! It needs less than 10 minutes to make a big batch! It is also healthy, gluten free, carb-free, and very refreshing side!
I mean, low-fat yogurt, garlic, herbs, spices, cucumber makes it a fit and refreshing dip! I consider Tzatziki Sauce the official healthy summer dip of 2017!!
Serve it on side of grilled meats, or kabobs like I served it with Chicken Souvlaki, or serve it with veggies chips or pita... all dippers go great with this garlicky creamy tzatziki!
So, let's make some Tzatziki [tsä'tseke]!
Greek Falafel platter is my favorite menu item in Greek restaurants but I'm never so happy with a tablespoon serving-size portion of tzatziki. A plate of 4-6 falafels and 1 tablespoon tzatziki! Really? Why do restaurants cut-cost on sauces, the quintessential flavor makers!?
- 1 Cucumber (medium hothouse cucumber, grated)
- 500 Grams Yogurt (about 2 cups, plain Greek thick yogurt, low fat)
- 2 tsp Garlic (4-5 fresh garlic cloves, grated)
- 3 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder (roasted and ground cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (freshly cracked, adjust per taste)
- 3-4 tbsp Dill Leaves (chopped, more for garnish )
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional, for garnish)
- 3/4 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 2 tbsp Mint (leaves of 2 fresh mint sprigs, chopped)
- 1. Grate cucumber, place in muslin cloth, and squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2. In bowl, add yogurt, grated garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, half of cumin powder, half of salt, black pepper. Mix well.
- 3. Fold in cucumber, dill leaves, and mint leaves. Taste and adjust salt and more lemon juice (if needed). Sprinkle remaining seasonings on top just before serving! Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with pita chips or on side of grilled meats. Enjoy!
If using regular cucumber with seeds. Discard the seeds before grating. Seeds will not taste very appealing in Tzatziki and also it will dilute the dip as it sits longer.