Creamy Cucumber Salad
Absolutely delicious, refreshing and creamy Cucumber Salad with sour cream and fresh dill dressing. Perfect accompaniment to any summer meal.
Posted By Savita
The best ever creamy Cucumber Salad with delicious sour cream and fresh dill dressing. This salad is refreshing treat for all Cucumber Salad Lovers. Sliced cucumbers with quick mix of dressing, and it is The perfect addition to a summer meal. Gluten Free.
Dressing is absolutely delicious, and you’ll want to put it on everything. It’s great as a dip for raw veggies, served on side with grilled chicken, or spread on your favorite toast. It is sour cream and mustard based dressing with 2 special ingredients that make extra it creamy, and surprisingly flavorful. (must try)
Oh, also sharing tips to make an crunchy-never-watery-cucumber-salad. Don't miss to read.
CREAMY CUCUMBER DRESSING
This cucumber salad is all about creamy dressing. Dressing is creamy, refreshing with vibrant lemon, mustard and dill weed flavor.
I'm sure you guess it already; The main ingredients for dressing are: sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, and fresh dill weed leaves. My special touch in dressing is just 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil mayo, capers and hint of garlic.
- Mayonnaise keeps dressing creamier. A little goes long way. Just 2 tbsp of mayo makes cucumber salad creamy and also helps sour cream not release water.
Note: To make vegetarian cucumber dressing, substitute mayo with either 2 tbsp of thick Greek yogurt or good quality Vegan Mayonnaise.
- Capers gives dressing salty bite. If you can't find capers. Add a tbsp of small diced pickle.
- Garlic adds delicious depth of flavor. Not a whole lot but just one clove of grated garlic takes the creamy dressing from fab to fabulous. Be sure to use the freshest garlic you can find. A little goes the long way. one clove is more than enough. Grate it on fine grated. You don't want chunks of garlic in dressing but smooth depth of flavor.
Optional Ingredients: I also recommend adding some chopped red onion, or scallions and minced jalapeno if you like some heat.
CRUNCHY CUCUMBER FOR CUCUMBER SALAD
Cucumbers are full of water. This water naturally release when cucumbers are mixed with dressing or salted. Treating cucumber with salt before hand helps extract some water out. This way, the cucumbers will not dilute the creamy dressing as quickly. I recommend, for creamy crunchy cucumber salad:
- Make dressing and refrigerate separately in an airtight container. Slice cucumber just before serving. Combine dressing with cucumber just before serving. Serve immediately.
- Salt Cure Cucumber (make cucumber loose water beforehand): Slice the cucumber and slightly salt. Leave aside in strainer for 15-20 minutes. After 15-30 minutes, transfer to paper towel to soak extra moisture hanging outside completely. Or Pat dry with clean paper towel. Cucumber are ready to join a creamy salad dressing.
Friends, this Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe is just two steps: 1) Prepare the dressing, 2) Prepare the cucumber. Mix and serve for a refreshing accompaniment to any summer meal. Remember to:
- Don't skimp on dressing.
- If serving later, mix dressing and refrigerate separately in an airtight container. Slice cucumber just before serving. Or slice cucumber and salt-cure (explained below), then refrigerate separately. Combine dressing with cucumber just before serving. Garnish with fresh cracked pepper and chopped parsley.
- For best flavor, serve salad chilled.
I hope this refreshing cucumber salad will make to your summer dinner menu this week. Make some tonight!
More Cucumber Recipes to try:
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 Cucumber (English cucumber, sliced lengthwise)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise (See Note 4 for vegetarian substitutes)
- 2 tsp Mustard (coarse Dijon mustard)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice or 1 tbsp white vinegar )
- 1/2 tsp Garlic (1 small clove, micro grated)
- 2 tbsp Capers (optional)
- 1/3 Cup Dill Leaves (fresh leaves, rough chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional)
1. Slice cucumber length-wise into 3-4 inch long pieces. Put in a colander, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside to sweat water for 20-25 minutes. When ready to use, drain and dry excess water on cucumber with clean kitchen towel. Set aside.
Additional NotesSee Note 2 for more details.
2. In wide bowl, add cream, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, garlic minced, capers, chopped dill leaves. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning - salt and black pepper. Add sliced cucumber and coat in dressing.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs. Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve chilled.
- Dressing doubles easily. Make a double batch with 4 cucumbers for serving a gathering.
- Cucumbers are full of water. This water naturally release when cucumbers are mixed with dressing or salted. Treating cucumber with salt before hand helps extract some water out. This way, the cucumbers will not dilute the creamy dressing as quickly.
If you are serving Cucumber Salad right after assembling then skip Step 1 from directions.
- Make-Ahead: If keeping Cucumber Salad overnight? I recommend storing salt-cured cucumber and dressing separately. Mix just before serving. Stored separately will keep good for overnight.
- Cucumber Dressing Without Mayo: To make vegetarian cucumber dressing, substitute mayo with either 2 tbsp of thick Greek yogurt or good quality Vegan Mayonnaise.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.