Cucumber Avocado Salad
Creamy without mayo, refreshing Lettuce Cucumber Avocado Salad with tangy sour cream herb dressing. A delicious side salad that I love to serve my family whole summer long. You will love the flavors!
Sharing delicious seasonal Cucumber and Avocado Salad with amazing creamy Mexican salad dressing with cotija cheese and crunchy pepitas. Dressing is creamy without mayo, needs simple pantry ingredients to make. My favorite part is the tangy quickly pickled red onions on the top which give citrusy bite to the salad. (taste so yum with creamy avocado). You will love the flavor!
This salad comes together in just 15 minutes. It is a great summer side salad. It is gluten free, mayo-free, and can be vegan (simply replace sour and cheese with vegan alternatives).
To make it a dinner salad, just add cooked protein such as grilled shrimp, cooked rotisserie chicken. If you are a salad-for-dinner fan like me, try these easy Protein recipes to serve with this salad as Dinner Salad.
What Do You Need to Make Cucumber Avocado Salad?
This salad is inspired from Mexican flavors. I make a creamy dressing which is tangy, lite and refreshing without mayo. It pairs well with creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber. Plus, also works as a great dipping sauce.
We love little heat in such creamy salads. I use few pickled jalapeno coins for peppery tangy bite (so so good with avocado)
Here is a list of ingredients to make this salad:
- Sour Cream
- Lime Juice
- Fresh herbs
- Olive Oil (preferably toasted sesame oil)
- Jalapeno Pickled (Try homemade Pickled Jalapenos)
- Cotija or Feta cheese, for serving
How To make Cucumber Avocado Salad?
A salad is all about good dressing and freshest possible ingredients. I recommend go for ripe avocados, English seedless cucumbers and romaine hearts for perfect crunch.
For added layer of flavor, I like to use quick pickled red onions. It is very easy to quickly pickle red onions. Simply, mix thin sliced red onions with some lime juice, and salt. Toss well to fully coat onion in the dressing. Set aside to pickle. Pickled onions last 2 days in refrigerator. You can also make ahead. When making the same day, first pickle onion and then prep for the salad. This will give onions time to marinate and get citrusy bite.
That's it. Mix the dressing and slice cucumber and avocado. Toss everything in a salad bowl. Top with pickled onions and pepitas. Sprinkle cheese on top. Salad is ready to enjoy!
Tip: Salad works best when served right away!
How To Serve Cucumber Avocado Salad?
I often serve this salad on top of lettuce or just mix avocado and cucumber with dressing (as shown in picture above) It tastes great either way.
Lettuce makes it a filling salad. I would say, use lettuce to serve it as dinner side or salad-for-dinner topped with protein. Serve as cucumber-avocado salad on the side of BBQ.
Try a different way to enjoy your favorite summer cucumbers with this creamy-dreamy Cucumber Avocado Salad. With lite and cooling no-mayo herbs and sour cream dressing and sprinkle of cotija cheese on top, this is a salad worth trying many times in summer.
Cucumber Avocado Saladreviews) (3
- 1. Quick Pickle Red Onion for Salad: Dice red onion into thin half moon slices. Add in a small bowl. Add half lime juice and pinch of salt and pepper on the top. Toss well. Set aside to marinate while preparing rest of the salad.
- 2. Prepare Salad Ingredients: Slice cucumber lengthwise, then dice into big half moon chunks. Pit and peel avocado. Dice to big bite-size chunks. Small chop herbs - cilantro and oregano leaves (or basil leaves, if using). Grate or micro-plane garlic. Set aside.
- 3. Make Dressing : In a small bowl, add a tbsp water, half of the salt and remaining dressing ingredients except herbs. Whisk to mix salt with sour cream. If dressing is too thick, add a tbsp of the water at a time, mix after each addition until it has consistency of thick sauce. I use about 2-3 tbsps of total water. Mix in chopped herbs. Taste and add more salt if desired. Set aside.
- 4. Assemble Avocado Salad : On a salad platter/bowl, add chopped romaine lettuce. Top with diced cucumber, avocado, and pickled red onion. Spoon dressing on the top. Garnish with fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
- 5. Garnish and Serve: Top with cotija cheese and garnish with more chopped oregano/basil leaves. Serve immediately. See Note 1.
- Best when served right way or after chilling for 30 minutes. To make ahead, make dressing separately without salt. Dice cucumber, avocado and mix with dressing just before serving.
- If heat sensitive, skip pickled jalapeno and use chopped dill pickle with some fresh cracked black pepper.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.