Spicy Pickled Chicken
Vinegar Based Spiced Chicken Pickle
Posted By Savita
To make Pickled Chicken, chicken is cooked in vinegar, spices and my special secret which makes this pickle recipe a star i.e. Nigella Seeds. Nigella seeds are used very often for oil based pickles. Seeds, vinegar and spices make chicken very flavorful and aromatic.
Often, chicken pickles are consumed fast. In my home, I hardly get to see any leftovers!! Howevere, this pickle gets better when it sits in refrigerator for 1-2 days. So this is definitely a make ahead chicken recipe. You can cook it a day before event or party and just heat it before serving.
I usually use Skinless Chicken Thighs for chicken pickle. You can pickle chicken wings to serve it as appetizer or use mixed thighs and breasts to serve for dinner/meal. Chicken
Pickle stays good in refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Spicy Pickled Chicken
- 2 Cup Red Onion (grated 2 large onions)
- 1 lbs Chicken (Chicken Thighs Bone-in)
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Nigella Seeds (Also known as Kalunji)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 5 Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
1. Par boil chicken with 2 cups of water and 1/2 tbsp salt. Discard or keep chicken stock for later use. Pat dry chicken to absorb any moisture. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add chicken and fry till light brown on all sides.
2. Remove chicken with slotted spoon, add 2 tbsp remaining oil, grated mixture of onion, ginger, garlic. Stir fry till onion are light brown. Now add all spices and salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes. If mixture sticks to bottom of the pan, add 1 tbsp vinegar at a time to de-glaze the pan.
3. Return chicken to the pan, add remaining vinegar and fry for 5-10 minutes or till chicken is fully cooked and mixture of onion and spices fully coat the chicken and kitchen is filled with smell of tangy vinegar and sweet onion and spices.
Additional NotesIf onion mixture burn or stick to bottom of pan while frying, never add water. Just add little more vinegar or oil to make frying easy.
If onion mixture burn or stick to bottom of pan while sauteing chicken, never add water. Just add little more vinegar or oil to make stirring easy. Never use water or tomato for this recipe or chicken will not stay good for 10 days. Only use oil, vinegar. Water is only used to par-boil chicken and then chicken is pat dry and shallow fried to get rid of any moisture.
Recipe doubles easily. In-fact, I often increase the amount of chicken for same amount of masala to serve 4 people.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.