Chicken And Rice One Pot Meal
One Pot Chicken Dinner
Posted By Savita
A home-cooked chicken dinner that requires very little effort - Chicken and rice are paired with an olive and tomatoes sauce that cook together for a delicious one-dish meal, easy to make and easy to clean up.
Don't be intimidated by cooking chicken and rice in the same pan. It's no harder than cooking either ingredient on its own.
Two star ingredients in this one pot meal (you guessed it), Basmati Rice and Bone-in Chicken. I have used basmati rice for two reasons – low GI + quick cooking time and bone-in chicken so that chicken does not dry up while cooking in water with rice.
Try this recipe and enjoy!!!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Chicken And Rice One Pot Meal
- 1 & 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 lbs Chicken (Bone in skinless chicken breasts or thighs)
- 1/2 Cup Olives (pitted)
- 1 Cup Tomatoes (fine grated or 1 cup canned tomatoes)
- 1 Cup Red Onion (Or Yellow Onion chopped)
- 4 tbsp Cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (or chop 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 inch ginger root)
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep heavy bottom pan, add chicken and fry till crisp and brown on both sides.
2. While chicken is browning, chop onion, ginger and garlic and grate tomatoes if using fresh tomatoes.
3. Remove chicken from pot, in same pot add remaining oil, onion, garlic, ginger and fry till onion are light pink about 5 minutes.
Additional NotesDon't worry about brown bits attached to bottom of the pot, these add nice flavor to the chicken and rice.4. Add ground coriander, cumin, and bay leaf, pepper and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add grated tomatoes, salt and fry for 3-4 minutes. Water in tomatoes will take out all brown bits and spices stuck to bottom of the pan and will mingle well in the onion and tomato gravy.6. Add chicken, olives and mix well.
7. Add rice and 3 cups of water, stir well. Bring to rolling boil and then cover with a tight lid. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until rice are cooked through..8. Switch off heat after 15 minutes, let it rest for 10 minutes (lid still tight shut) before opening the pot. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with yogurt on the side. Enjoy!!!
Savita's Notes:Saute onion and tomatoes sauce in the morning. In evening, just mix in chicken, water and rice and leave it on stove heat to help itself. Just in 15 minutes, by the time you ready the table, dinner will be ready. Enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.