Yellow Lentils Soup
Posted By Savita
In my childhood, whenever I were sick, my Mom always feed me lite yellow lentils soup with piece of white soft bread because both are easy to digest. But frankly I never liked it. Back then, Yellow Lentils soup was like - soup for sicks, for me. And now-a-days, I love it, more than any other soup. Lite and healthy and above all ready without paying much attention. You don't need any stock or broth to enhance its flavor. Just some turmeric, splash of lemon and garnish of fresh herbs like cilantro and chives are sufficient to make this tasty and tummy friendly soup.
Yellow Lentils Soup
- 1 Cup Yellow Daal
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (fine chopped)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Lemon (lemon juice and zest of one lemon)
- 2-3 tbsp Chives (I have used Garlic Chives)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (Optional)
- 1 Garlic (1 clove of garlic)
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro (fresh and fine chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Optional)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Wash lentils under running water till the water runs clear and leave lentils aside soaked in two cups of water while you prep the other ingredients.2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil, add chopped onion, cumin seeds(if using) and saute till onion are translucent.
3. Now, add chopped garlic and saute till onion are slightly brown on the edges (about 5 minutes) Add turmeric, red pepper powder and stir and cook for 1 minute.4. Add lentils along with soaking liquid and additional 1 cup water, salt, lemon zest. Bring to boil and then simmer till yellow lentils are fully cooked and soup is thick (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, chopped cilantro, some fresh black pepper, (taste and adjust salt if needed). Serve hot garnished with slice of lemon and fresh chopped chives.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.