Red Quinoa and Apple Salad
Filling wholegrain salad loaded with antioxidants and vitamins
Posted By Savita
It comes in colors? Yes it does and red quinoa has just as much wonderful healthy goodness as regular white quinoa. This Red Quinoa and Apple salad has my fall favorite tart Granny Smith green apple, making it a perfect fall special salad. The vibrant red colored quinoa with tangy orange dressing, little tart Granny Smith green apple and sweet california raisins is sweet, sour and filling at the same time. But you know what I love most? - Quick serving time, just 15 minutes from kitchen to lunch table.
Red quinoa can be a great addition in soups and baking. Recently, I had a sprouted quinoa salad in a local Deli that was super crunchy and delicious. I never sprouted quinoa before, so next time I am going to make sprouted quinoa and will share my experience with you. Stay tuned and enjoy this filling Red Quinoa and Apple salad loaded with antioxidants and vitamins for lunch today.
Red Quinoa and Apple Salad
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa (Red Quinoa)
- 1 Apple (Granny Smith Apple cored and diced into bite size pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Raisins (dark California Raisins)
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper
- 1-2 tbsp Capers (Optional)
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved or 1 medium size Roma tomato diced into big bite size pieces)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (grated 1 inch fresh root of turmeric - Optional)
1. Bring 1 cup of water to rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium, add 1/2 tsp salt and rinsed quinoa (rinsed well in a fine-mesh sieve). Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5 more minutes. Quinoa will absorb all water. Fluff grains of quinoa with fork very gently and set aside to cool down.
2. In a bowl, add salt, orange juice, olive oil, and mix well. Add diced apple, tomatoes, raisins, and cooked and cooled quinoa and toss with fork or salad tosser. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Season with fresh crushed black pepper and grated turmeric root (if using) just before serving.
Savita's Notes:Many readers often ask me about how to use turmeric in their diet if they are not eating curry. I always suggest grating fresh turmeric over salads and yogurt. It tastes very mild and will never overpower the taste, yet will give you all health benefits. Even though it is totally optional for this salad, but if you like fresh turmeric, please grate an inch of turmeric root on this salad for all good health benefits.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.