Devil's Diablo Sauce Chicken
Posted By Savita
Chicken Diablo, or Diablo Sauce Chicken is a spicy hot Chicken main course prepared with freshly made hot diablo sauce. If you love smoking hot chicken then this recipe is for you! This recipe comes together very fast. All you need is a heavy-bottom pot, chicken, chipotle, and few basic pantry ingredients.
We are a family of heat seekers so this chicken is one of our favorite. In our home, we love surprising our guests with something unexpected for dinner parties. Deep red color of chipotle in adobo sauce does magic to this recipe. The color on Diablo chicken is so tempting that no one resists grabbing some even with all the heat. Not just it looks devil-ish delicious but it tastes great too. Rich and smoky aroma of adobo, chicken, smoked paprika, garlic, oregano.... diablo chicken is dream-dinner-with-devils for a chicken and heat lovers.
This is also a twin recipe. You can either follow the instructions to the end and make Chicken Diablo. Or skip chicken and make Sweet and Spicy Diablo Dipping Sauce to serve with chips. (more on this ahead).
So, today, let's make some spicy hot Chicken!
I originally shared this recipe 3 years ago.. (can't believe it is 3 years already!) ..for a Halloween Party Main Course/Appetizer. I decided to make this chicken again yesterday and share with you main-course recipe for halloween party.
I think, the deep red-orange-ish color of diablo looks very festive and is sure to make a presentation on Halloween Dinner Table! You can certainly tag it "Devil's Diablo Chicken" or just "Diablo Chicken" (diablo means devil in Spanish) to tie it with red-hot-spicy theme!
Diablo Sauce is not just a hypothetical name. There is actually a diablo sauce, served and enjoyed a lot with crabs or seafood. Traditional diablo sauce has all ingredients I used, except chipotle in adobo.
Now, if you just want to make some diablo sauce to serve with chips or with seafood? Continue the recipe instructions up-to step 6, then don't add chicken but add 2 tbsp of brown sugar, bring to boil with water as per instructions and then process mixture in food processor until smooth. Diablo Sauce is ready!
This recipe is Gluten Free, and also Dairy Free.
I recommend serving Diablo Chicken with rice or a soft bread to scoop the sauce. A side of refreshing salad with be perfect for a complete meal. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.
Devil's Diablo Sauce Chicken
- Diablo Sauce Chicken
- 2 Chipotle in Adobo (fine chopped)
- 1 lbs Chicken (drumets and bone-in breast sliced half)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (sliced thin half-moons)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (3-4 cloves, 2 tbsp when fine chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (smoked)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Tomatoes (1 medium roma tomato, 1/2 cup when grated)
- 2 tbsp Lemon (lemon juice)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Salt (adjust per taste)
- Serving Suggestions
- 4 Cup Rice (cooked, steamed or boiled rice for serving)
1. Thin slice onions, fine chop garlic, and fine chop chipotle peppers2. Heat oil in a deep, heavy bottom pan. Add chicken (skin side down if using chicken with skin). Shallow fry chicken until brown both sides. (about 3-4 minutes per side).
3. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer on a plate lined with paper towel. Add sliced onion, garlic, paprika, and smoked pepper to same pan (heat on)4. Saute until onions are reduced and are bit brown at edges. (about 6-7 minutes)Additional Notes: Don't worry about pepper and bits on bottom of the pan. These will add flavor to chicken when we de-glaze pan later.
5. Add chopped chipotle, tomato paste, grated tomato, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.Additional Notes: You can also use 1/2 cup peeled, canned tomatoes instead of fresh regular tomato.6. Cook tomato mixture until oil separates, and tomatoes are all one-tone in the sauce. (about 5 minutes). At this point add oregano and cumin and continue cook 1 more minute.
7. Return chicken to the pan, add water, about 1 and 1/2 cup. Bring everything to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered on medium-high heat for another 5-6 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and sauce has reduced to about half the original.8. Add lemon juice, taste and adjust salt. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with steamed rice on the side.
Savita's Recipe Notes:
Update 3rd Oct 2017: This recipe was first shared on October 2014. Today, I have updated the images with more clear images and updated the description.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe