Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Apples
Aromatics, herbs, cooked savoury apples, flavor-soaked toasted sweet cornbread and plum tart cherries.....
Friends, I'm talking about a comforting, quintessential turkey stuffing which is must try this holiday season! If you are here looking for a last minute perfect Thanksgiving stuffing/dressing recipe idea?! I'm certain your search will end here.
Not just for Thanksgiving dinner, I'm addicted to enjoying this dressing way before the Thanksgiving day! The day we have fresh seasonal apples in stores and temperature permits cranking-up ovens, a small batch of cornbread stuffing is sure cooking in my kitchen.
I'm so crazy for baked stuffing that even stuffing leftovers get special treatment in my home! How about a Turkey Stuffing and Arugula Salad!? A big flavor bomb, this salad tastes like Italian Panzannella Bread Salad.... perfect to enjoy leftover stuffing (if you are lucky to save some).
I first tried stuffing in a Thanksgiving Holiday Feast in one of my old office. My first reaction to stuffing (or dressing if you wish to call it,) was : "Oh, Yumm!! this is like a savory bread pudding! Totally my style!" Love love savory dishes a lot! You can say, I'm a savory and spice freak! ;-)
The best thing I remember about my stuffing tasting experience was delicious cooked apples, fragrance of herbs, those crispy bits of toasted sweet corn bread! Wow! Why don't we have holiday food all year long!?
Thanksgiving is not our traditional Holiday but I'm in love with THE food so much that we are often looking forward to enjoy some comforting Thanksgiving meals, every-time this year. No, I've not roasted the whole turkey at home yet. Honestly, it will be way to big for two of us. :)
So, last year we roasted game hens and made some healthy Wild Rice Stuffing and lots and lots of cranberry sauce too! LOVE cranberry sauce and can eat by bowl full! This year, we decided to go for cornbread stuffing and store-bought pre-sliced turkey and of-course homemade cranberry sauce!
Our thanksgiving feast not really is on thanksgiving day unless we are visiting some friends. This time of year, stores are so so full of Thanksgiving stuff that I start craving and feasting way too early. This batch of stuffing we devoured last weekend with some roasted turkey soup.
This is official Thanksgiving week now. So I have decided to share my-kinda easy recipes with you whole week.
Oh, yeah! Stay tuned for some holiday feast recipes coming your way!!
Happy Monday my friends and Happy Holidays! -Savita
Thanksgiving Stuffing and Dinner Recipes:
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Apples
- 3 Cup White Bread (day old bread, small cubed)
- 1 Cup Corn Bread
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock (low-sodium, or homemade preferred)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 Cup Celery (1-2 stalks, small diced)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (half medium onion, small diced)
- 2 Apple (medium gala apple, cored and small diced, or use handful of Crab Apples)
- 4-5 Sage (leaves, chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries (or dried Tart Cherris)
- 2-3 Thyme (sprigs, leaves only)
- 1. Pre heat oven at 350 F. Spread cubed white bread on a sheet tray and toast for 15-20 minutes until moisture has evaporated. Keep an eye, don't let bread burn or over-brown.
- 2. While bread is toasting, heat butter (or oil) in a pan, saute onion and celery until onions are soft (3-4 minutes). Add 1/2 tsp each of salt and black pepper, chopped sage, thyme, and diced apple, then continue cooking until apples are cooked a little but not mushy (about 6-7 minutes).
- 3. In a large bowl, combine, toasted bread, corn bread (just crumbed or small cubed). Add cooked onion-apple mixture, and cherries. Also add chicken stock and use a spatula to toss everything together.
- 4. Raise the oven temp to 375 F. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minute covered, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until top is toasted, crispy, and golden.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe