Indian Mint and Sweet Potato Salad | Vrat Ki Chatpati Pudina Shakarkandi Chaat
Packed with punch of flavor from mint, this Vegan and Gluten free salad is staple during Navratri Season!
Posted By Savita
Today, sharing with you a tongue-tantalizing, sweet n' sour, gluten free, sweet potato salad dressed in zesty mint dressing!
Remember? I told you, that I will share few of my all-time favorite Fast Season recipes, which I love eating and serving during auspicious occasion of Navratri in India. I have also made a special collection for all those recipes, here is a link for you: Navratri Food and Recipes
Navratri Fasts, meant to be Gluten Free and Meat-free, are actually fun times to enjoy a lot more foods.... fast friendly but scrumptious and packed with ton of flavor! Trust me! NO one misses regular food during those days :) Instead, we often do miss all that scrumptious fast treats, all year round... like I keep craving for Buckwheat Flat Bread and Potato Curry
Other, one of such recipe is Mint and Sweet Potato Salad! I'm calling it a "salad" for you, but actually it is a complete mini-lunch meal during Navratri Fasts. Savory foods like these are often finished with a gluten free, egg-free sweet treat. but... you know me, I'm a...
- 2 Sweet Potato (boiled, peeled, and cubed)
- 1 Apple (sweet red apple, cored, and diced)
- 1 Cucumber (peeled, and diced)
- 2 Tomatoes (medium size, diced)
- 1/4 Cup Golden Raisins (or black raisins)
- Mint (for garnish)
- 1/2 Cup Mint (a handful leaves)
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (dhaniya)
- 2 tsp Sugar (Or use honey)
- 2 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Powder (plus half jalapeno or 1 green chili (seeds removed), if you really like hot)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Canola Oil (optional)
Boil or steam sweet potato until knife tender.(about 15 minutes if boiling) While potatoes are boiling, in a food processor jar, add rough chopped mint, cilantro, and all other chutney ingredients. Process everything to a coarse paste.
Additional Notes:If not using oil, scrap the bowl once or twice to make processing easier.
- 2. Transfer chutney to a wide bowl. Add peeled and diced cubes of sweet potato, cucumber, tomato, raisins, and apple. and toss to coat everything in chutney.
- 3. Garnish with some fresh mint leaves. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Save time!! while sweet potatoes are boiling, you can ready chutney and dice all rest of ingredients like apple, cucumber, and tomato.