Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Feta Salad
A bold Mediterranean flavor inspired Chickpea Salad with roasted Sweet Potatoes, feta, delicious lemon-herb dressing. Make once use many ways - filling lunch, hearty dinner-side!
Posted By Savita
Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Feta Salad with roasted sweet and smoky sweet potatoes and seasoned chickpeas and feta, coated in a tangy lemon-herb dressing. This vegetarian salad makes a great side for grilled/roasted meat main-course. It is also a good filling lunch. Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Protein-Packed, Vitamin-Packed. Above all, delicious! Flavorful where every bite has smoothing delicious to offer.
Let's give it try!
My favorite about this salad is that it is so easy to put together. By the time sweet potato roasts in oven, you can assemble the rest of salad. Once sweet potatoes are ready, add to salad and serve. Really, it is That simple! Worth a mention that this Chickpea Salad is also all-season salad. Enjoy any time of year! If you prefer, grill sweet potatoes or pan-roast instead of roasting sweet potato in the oven.
Chickpeas are staple in our home. You can tell that from number of recipes I have on blog. :) I'm always thinking about news ways to eat chickpeas. Chickpea goes great with curries, stews and is perfect to fold in salads.
Life Update: Last few months have been crazy-busy for me. I had to clear few exams for my day job. This one addition to my routine disrupted everything else. I could not attend to blog, had no time to even think about a new recipe. I passed the exam.. (yeah!) But really.. missed sharing update on blog.
Now that I'm back, I wanted to share the salad I ate many a times in past two months. Honestly, this salad had been regular on our lunch/dinner table for two simple reasons; 1) needs very less time to prepare. 2) it is hearty and delicious. Worth a mention that you can make it ahead and serve as hearty-side any time.
Worked perfectly for me because as I wanted to spend any minute I saved on exam preparation. :-)
I hope this delicious salad will make to your lunch box and dinner table as well! It is a pantry-friendly salad. If you like sweet potatoes and chickpeas, you can actually enjoy this salad on side tonight with your favorite main-course.
Stay safe and keep smiling. -Savita
Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Feta Salad
- 4 Cup Chickpeas (2 of 15.5 oz can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 lbs Sweet Potato (about 2-3 medium Red Garnet Sweet Potatoes)
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- 1 Cup Green Onion (thin sliced, white and green)
- 2 tbsp Pickled Jalapeno (small chopped, See Note 2)
- 1 Cup Fresh Herbs (1/2 Parsley, 1/2 Basil, fresh leaves, rough chopped)
- 1 tsp Paprika (medium paprika)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Lemon (juice)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder (preferably toasted and ground)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (3-4 cloves of garlic, minced)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (half and half)
Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad
1. Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a large baking sheet (sheet pan) with cooking oil spray. Set aside.
2. Prepare Sweet Potato: Clean and scrub sweet potato. Slice into 1/2 inch half-moon slices. In a large bowl, add half of olive oil, salt, garlic powder and paprika. Mix well. Add sliced sweet potato into the bowl. Massage potatoes in oil-paprika mixture. Spread the potatoes on baking sheet (for even cooking spread sweet potatoes as evenly as possible)
3. Roast Sweet Potato: Roast Sweet Potato in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and slightly blistered. (Use a wide spatula to turn potatoes upside down half-way through cooking.)
4. Prepare Chickpea Salad: While Sweet Potatoes roast, in a large mixing bowl, add dressing ingredients and whisk well to emulsify oil and citrus. Add in drained and rinsed chickpeas, chopped scallion, jalapeno, parsley, and basil. Toss to coat chickpeas in the dressing sitting at the bottom of the pan. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice. Top with Feta cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Additional NotesSee Note 1
5. Assemble Salad and Serve: Once sweet potatoes are roasted, let stand for 5 minutes before mixing into the chickpea salad. Gently toss. Garnish with more scallion and parsley. Serve and enjoy.
- For best flavor results, cover and chill Chickpea Salad for 2 hours, up-to 4 hours. Mix in Sweet Potato just before serving.
- To avoid heat, use 3 tablespoons of chopped relish or dill pickle.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.