Hasselback Sweet Potatoes Casserole with Chipotle
My kind of Hasselback Sweet Potatoes - Savory Sweet Potatoes nestled in casserole with sweet and smoky chipotle dressing. Easy to prepare, down-right delicious casserole perfect for holiday dinner.
Serve something different for holiday dinner with this sweet, smoky and savory Hasselback Sweet Potatoes Casserole. This casserole is delicious combination of two special recipes - Hasselback Potatoes or Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Where looks of baked Hasselback "sliced and layered" sweet potatoes make great presentation, the comforting moist and savory Sweet Potatoes cooked with garlic and chipotle wins everyone's attention. There will second and third servings. I guarantee!
This casserole is Gluten Free. Can be veganized with one simple ingredient swap. (check in Recipe Card). Freezes well and can also be cooked ahead. Above all, flavor is soo good that this will become your favorite Sweet Potatoes Casserole recipe!
(Oh, and if you ever struggle with evenly baking sweet potatoes? This recipe is answer to make always-perfectly-cooked sweet potatoes. Read on to uncover one simple step needed to ensure even cooking.)
Let's make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes Casserole today!
This is just not any Sweet Potato Casserole. One of my favorite way to bake sweet potatoes in a casserole.. I'm sharing the perfect way to make always tender and moist Sweet Potato Casserole. Plus the flavor of sweet and savory Chipotle seasoning/dressing is to-die-for delicious. It is also a break from ever sweet sweet potato mash. And makes a wonderful presentation on holiday dinner table.
What Kind of Sweet Potatoes are good for Casserole?
I highly recommend a garnet sweet potato for this casserole. These dark orange-red skin, orange flesh, sweet, moist and flavorful. Plus they retain their lovely orange hue even after baking. which conceals bright orange flesh. In fact garnet potatoes are great for all kind of baked sweet potato recipes; sweet potato pie, mashed sweet potato, sweet potato gratin, or casserole.
Hasselback or Sliced Sweet Potatoes
I love making Hasselback Baked Potatoes for dinner side. For long time, I also wanted to make and share hasselback sweet potatoes recipe with you all. But last week when I finally got time to test recipe.. Slicing Sweet Potatoes for Hasselback look took me so much time. I also discovered individual sweet potatoes too longer to cook.
If you are making this recipe one-third, say 2 sweet potatoes for a quick weeknight dinner. You are welcome to slice to sweet potatoes as hasselbacked and bake with one-third of the sauce. But for a family-dinner or a holiday dinner, I highly recommend opting the sliced sweet potatoes nestled in casserole. It looks just like Hasselback Potatoes, only easier to manage, cook evenly, absorb flavor better and easy to serve.
How to Evenly Cook Sweet Potato Casserole?
The success of this Baked Hasselback Potatoes recipe depends on two things; 1) Even Cooking, 2) Flavorful Seasoning/dressing.
To ensure even cooking, I cook sweet potatoes casserole covered with foil until these are tender and moist. Covering ensure even cooking and prevents over-browning. Once potatoes are tender, next I bake'em uncovered until tops of potatoes start to caramelize and turn golden brown. This step brings out sweetness of potatoes and marry flavor of dressing with potatoes very well. Read recipe card to follow the steps for even coking.
For delicious flavor, I chose to pair casserole with bold, not sweet but savory dressing with notes of smoky chipotle, garlic and lemon. Seriously, this dressing makes all the difference in making this casserole a delicious side. Something which everyone will enjoy alike.
You can make this 3-4 days ahead. Heat in pre-heated oven same way you re-heat rest of holiday sides. This casserole can also be frozen. Assemble, cover and freeze. Thaw at room temperature and then bake as instructed in Recipe Directions card.
Friends, try something different for holiday dinner this year. This sweet potatoes casserole makes a statement and it's bold flavor will win everyone on your dinner table.
Try more Sweet Potatoes recipes:
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes Casserole with Chipotlereviews) (6
IngredientsHasselback Sweet Potatoes Casserole
- 1. Prepare Chipotle Dressing: In a food processor jar, add chipotle, olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, tomato paste, garlic cloves, salt and black pepper. Pulse until smooth and everything is fine pureed. Transfer half into a small bowl and remaining into a wide large prep bowl and set aside.
- 2. Prepare Sweet Potatoes: Wash and peel Sweet Potatoes. Using a mandilion slicer or food processor slicer attachment, slice all sweet potatoes to 1/8 of an inch thick slices.
- 3. Prep Oven and Garlic-Butter for Basting: Position an Oven Rack in the middle. Set oven to preheat at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small microwave safe bowl, add butter, minced garlic clove (optional), and 1 tbsp from the reserved chipotle dressing. Heat for 30 seconds at time or until just melted. Set aside.
- 4. Assemble Casserole: Transfer half of sweet potato slices into large bowl with half of dressing. Massage slices with dressing gently to evenly coat all potatoes in dressing. Stack 10 slices of sweet potatoes at a time in hand and then transfer to baking dish. Arrange in circular pattern. Repeat until all dressed sweet potatoes slices are transferred to baking dish. Repeat this step with remaining half of sweet potatoes and reserved dressing.
- 5. Cover and Bake: Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and set to bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- 6. Prepare Topping: While sweet potatoes bake, heat a dry skillet. Add pine nuts and toast for 1 minute or until slightly golden. (don't leave any longer on heat as pine-nuts tend to burn quickly.) Set aside. In a food processor jar, add toasted pine nuts and herbs. Pulse until fine chopped. Additional Notes: You can also rough chop herbs and pine nuts with knife.
- 7. Baste and Continue Baking: At 1 hour mark, carefully take the casserole out of the oven. Baste with one coat of garlic-butter mixture. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edges of pie dish with foil. Return to the oven. Repeat basting with garlic-butter once more after 15 minutes. Bake until most sweet potatoes are golden on top (slightly caramelizing). Take out, let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 8. Garnish and Serve: Garnish casserole with chopped nuts-herb mixture. Serve and enjoy! Additional Notes: It tastes amazing with a dollop of sour cream. Or on the side with roasted meat and stuffing.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.