Vegan Beets and Carrot Falafel Tacos
Colors of Spring in a plate!
Spring is showing it's color every where around us. Today, I have tried to capture few of the colors in my healthy and vegan, Beets and Carrot Falafel Tacos. Served over wheat tortillas with sweetness of beets and carrots, moist texture of chickpeas, and hint of spices, these Falafels are not just bursting with flavor but are also fit and healthy for you!
Yesterday, I made these tacos for lunch and captured a few shots to share the recipe with you. The inspiration behind these tacos were: beautiful colors of spring and my love for chickpeas. Chickpeas are one of the widely popular grain all over world. And very famous for being gluten free, good source of fiber and protein. I often love adding chickpeas in curies, salads, and stews.
Traditional Falafels are made with raw, dehydrated chickpeas, but for today's recipe, I have used mix of cooked and mashed whole chickpeas and chickpea flour. Chickpea flour acts as a good binder and falafel patties don't fall apart. So, you don't have to use egg or any other kind of binder. Also, cooked chickpeas make very moist Falafel. If you have tried traditional Falafel before, I bet you know what am I talking about. :)
I chose to call'em tacos, but essentially you can also call'em Falafel Wraps, if you prefer. Tortillas used are homemade wheat flat breads. However, Falafels are gluten free, so if you want, use Corn Tortillas to make Gluten Free tacos. Ask me, I won't mind even eating the Falafels alone with some ketchup on side.
Sweetness of beets and carrots, plus moisture of cooked chickpeas keep inside moist yet outside gets crispy due chickpea flour. I topped my beet falafel with some fresh sweet radish, pickled ginger, scallion, and cilantro. Trust me, I didn't find need of any sauce or crema on these falafels. Just a splash of lemon compliments the sweetness of Falafels very well.
All-in-all a great lunch, perfect to pack for school, or wrap and eat on go! Not messy yet bursting with fresh flavors of spring. Worth mentioning that these are also healthy for you. Vegan, gluten free (if you use corn tortillas), nut-free, and have good serving of vegetables as well!
I hope you like my take on "spring in a plate"!
Enough of me chatting! You tell me, what are your favorite flavors of spring?
Have a great day!
Make homemade Tortillas or use these delicious toppings for tacos:
Vegan Beets and Carrot Falafel Tacos
- Beets and Carrots Falafel
- 2 Beet Root (medium, peeled and grated )
- 1 Carrots (grated)
- 1 Cup Chickpeas (boiled, or use canned, rinsed and slightly mashed)
- 4 tbsp Chickpea Flour (or little more, as per need)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Garlic (fine minced)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (or paprika)
- Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
- 4 Tortillas (corn or wheat, for serving)
- Salt and Black Pepper (per taste)
- Green Onion (or scallions, thin sliced)
- Radish (thin sliced)
- Ginger (pickled, thin sliced)
- Lemon (juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1. In a bowl, mix all ingredients - grated carrot, beet root, garlic, cumin, mashed chickpeas, pepper powder, salt, and chickpea flour.
- 2. Mash with hand to bring everything togther. Use a tsp chickpea flour more at a time, if mixture is too wet or sticky.
- 3. Heat oil in shallow pan. While oil is heating, divide chickpea mixture to make 6 small falafel patties and place on a plate. Shallow fry all falafel until crispy from both sides (about 2-3 minutes each side)
- 4. To assemble tacos, warm tortillas on gas-grill until nicely warm and pliable. Top each taco with 2 falafel, pickled ginger, radish, and cilantro, and splash of fresh lemon juice! Serve and enjoy!
Falafel are also gluten free. Just use corn tortillas instead of wheat to make gluten free tacos!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.