Curry Masala Cauliflower Tacos
Today, I'm sharing with you delicious fusion of, two of my favorite cuisines on this earth, Indian and Mexican, with my spicy curry cauliflower Masala tacos!!
Curried Cauliflower is one of very commonly prepared, North Indian, vegetable curry in my home. You might think, I just invented the name. Actually I have, but these tacos I have eaten my whole life.
How? Good question. Let me tell you how!
Well... just a few years ago, until I found about Mexican Tacos, these were, Indian Version, called Punjabi Cauliflower (Gobi) Sabji (side dish) and Roti (Wheat flat breads) with side of sliced onion and yogurt, that's it! Sounds familiar?? Thing is, I have always loved a big splash of lemon on my Cauliflower Curry, and that's what fueled me to call'em: Tacos. Mexican Version: Corn or Wheat Tortillas, topped with curried (small, almost minced) cauliflower and peas, diced white onion, drizzle of sour cream or yogurt, some fresh cilantro, and big splash of lemon juice. And some cotija cheese (if you prefer). Pretty close!
So, technically, this is not even a fusion recipe! It just co-exists (with exception of curry powder, of course!)!
Don't you think? ;)
Even though, Tacos are most popular Mexican food, vegetarian tacos are not very common. People only want fish or meat on their tacos. We are on meatless diet for almost half of the week and whenever we visit Mexican Eateries, only option for vegetarian tacos is roasted vegetables. Here this gave me another reason to make vegetarian fusion tacos, at home! Since I love combination of part-cooked and part-fresh crunchy vegetables on a piece of flat bread.... I started making vegetarian tacos a lot... I mean, A LOT, at home. and lot of times, my inspiration comes from my day-to-day Indian cuisine!
Diet News :)
These tacos, are gluten free, can be made vegan if you use vegan cream and cheese alternatives, and are nut-free, and soy free too!
IF you can avoid corn tortillas, cream, cheese, and use lettuce wraps you can also make'em fit for paleo diet.
I hope you will enjoy'em as much as I do! And remember, always go for good splash of lemon or lime. A little secret, curry and lemon is like match-made-in-heaven!! Scrumptious every time! and coincidentally, lemon or lime splash is nothing new to Mexican Cuisine as well! :)
See... I'm telling yaa, I've not invented anything here :) Just have put the pieces together.
Enjoy my friends and have a great day!
PS: I have included the step pictures with my earlier recipe for Curried Masala Caulifower. In case you want to follow the steps with step pictures, please follow the link here to previous recipe.
Curry Masala Cauliflower Tacos
IngredientsCurry Masala Cauliflower
- 1. Wash and dice cauliflower into small pieces. Also, grate onion and set aside. Puree tomato, ginger, and garlic and set aside. Additional Notes: Small chopped cauliflower gets even curry coating and taste better.
- 2. Make Curry Masala - Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, fry for 1 minute. Add grated onion and fry until they turn lite brown. Now, add pureed tomatoes, ginger and garlic mixture with 1/4 teaspoon salt and then fry till tomatoes are fully cooked and oil separates ( about 7-10 minutes). 4-5 minutes into cooking, add curry powder and red pepper and then continue frying.
- 3. Add cauliflower, coat in masala with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Fry for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, then turn the gas stove to low and cook for 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked but not mushy. Additional Notes: add 1-2 tbsp water if masala sticks to bottom of the pan.
- 4. Just before finish cooking, add frozen peas and cook for yet another 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt. Mix in fresh chopped cilantro and set aside.
- 5. To Assemble Tacos: Warm tortillas shells in microwave or on gas flame until soft and ready to serve. On each taco add 2-3 tablespoon curry cauliflower, top with fresh chopped onion, cilantro, cheese, and good splash of lemon juice. Serve and enjoy. Additional Notes: You can serve these tacos family style with toppings of the side.
If using fresh peas, add them while cooking cauliflower or blanch them in boiling water before adding to the curry.
Vegan: Curry Masala is vegan vegetarian side. If looking for vegan tacos, just skip using cream and cheese with vegan alternatives.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
jayashreeLovely tacos,Savita, could send me some..lol
Savita:) all yours, Jayashree! thanks my friend!
ThaliaThese tacos look VERY delicious. I love the curried masala cauliflower filling especially.. I never have tried tacos with a filling like it before!
SavitaThalia, curried masala really makes these tacos SO delicious that you won't miss meat! :) thanks for stopping by! Glad you like this tacos.
Olivia @ Olivia's CuisineLove these pictures!!! :D
Anu-My Ginger Garlic KitchenSavita, tacos look insanely delish and I’m completely loving theses. Loved your creative name too! :)
SavitaAnu, thanks :) I know ;)
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy HappyI love cauliflower tacos. But the spices on this one sound really good.
SavitaThanks, Dannii :)
Keri @ Fashionable FoodsThese look so good - love all the flavors!
SavitaKeri, thanks :)
GingiThis looks DELICIOUS!!!! www.domesticgeekgirl.com
SavitaGingi, You should try these tacos! I'm sure you will love :)
Manalihaha I know right, its like eating gobhi ki sabzi with roti, you gave it a fancy name ;) Love it! Pinned!
Savitayou got it my friend ;)