Deep Fried Salted Crackers
Posted On: Sep, 11 | Author: Savita
Crisp Golden Mathri snack (known as Namak Pare - Salted Crackers) are all time favorite tea time snack. Addition of Semolina flour and butter give a crispy texture to this tasty treat. Mathris are similar to salted crackers and are a popular afternoon snack. Traditionally, mathris are served with spicy pickles. You can store Mathri in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. When needed, just fry for crisp flaky mathri snack (Namak Pare). In India, Mathri is a special snack and is generally cooked on marriage occassions. Private Chefs (Called Halwaii) make Mathri by order in big batches and then families serve it to all guest and save a lot for later use too. From youngesters to old people, every one love to enjoy Crispy Mathri Snack with tea or coffee.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time: Cuisine: Indian (Appetizer, Snack, Bread)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Semolina
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Thyme (or Ajwain)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper (Coarsly Cracked)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (Ghee)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Yogurt (Mixed with 2 tablespoon water)
- Canola Oil (for frying)
- 1. sift together, white flour, Semolina flour, salt and baking powder. Add ghee and rub the flour mixture together till it resembles bread crumbs.
- 2. Mix in yogurt and little water to make a pillable dough. Cover it with wet cloth and set aside for 30-40 minutes.
- 3. Pour the dough on a working surface dusted with some white flour and make small 2" size balls. Flatten each ball with rolling pin to 4 inch diameter flat bread. Make sure not press it to much with rolling pen. Use very little pressure to roll it.
- 4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry each flat circle (2-3) at a time till crisp golder brown from all sides.
- 5. Drain it on a papper towel. Serve hot or at room temprature with Tea or Coffee.
Savita's Notes:You can also make some extra dough balls and frezee those for later use.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @SAVITACHEFDEHOME on Instagram and hashtag it
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Craving For More? Subscribe Weekly Newsletter Check Products We Use (affiliate links) Request a Recipe