8 Layers Fried Black Beans and Quinoa Burrito Bowl
Posted By Savita
Start eating healthy with a vegetarian, whole grain burrito bowl for breakfast or lunch. Burrito bowl may be famous as Breakfast food but in my home, we enjoy it for lunch and even for dinner. A hearty serving of fried spiced black beans, healthy quinoa, veggies, and creamy sauce on top! I call this is a perfect no-effort and healthy dinner! Won't you?
I'm certain you have seen glimpse of this burrito bowl in Chipotle Burrito Sauce recipe... I decided to share two in separate posts because chipotle burrito sauce is like one-magic-sauce that I use on many things other than burritos. So it certainly needed it's own post blog.
Plus, this burrito bowl is so delicious, flavorful and self-sufficient that I often enjoy it even with just a dollop of yogurt or sour cream. The secret for that flavor is 8 delicious layers of must-have-in-burrito ingredients. One of which is spiced garlicky fried black beans.
- 2 Cup Black Beans (low sodium beans, rinsed)
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika (medium hot, or chipotle chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (1.5 AND 1/2 TBSP divided)
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2-3 Cactus (leaves, needles trimmed)
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (or Mexican cheese blend, shredded)
- 1 Lettuce (head, chopped)
- 2 Avocado (ripe, peeled and diced)
- Lime (wedges, for serving)
- Tortilla Chips (for serving)
Fried Black Beans
Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- 1. Cook quinoa as package directions. I like to boil 1 cup rinsed quinoa with 2 cups of water with some salt for 10 minutes or until quinoa is tender, then cover and let cool until all water has been absorbed.
- 2. While quinoa cooks, heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan, add garlic and let it perfume oil for 20 seconds. Add smoked paprika, cumin powder, as oil sizzles, add beans and fry with salt and spices for 1-2 minutes. Remove in a bowl.
- 3. If using Cactus (Nopales), brush leaves with oil, and grill until soft. About 2-3 minutes each side. Let cool slightly, then slice per preference.
To build burrito bowl, layer all 8 ingredients: salsa, cheese, avocado, cactus slices, lettuce, spiced black beans, quinoa and tortilla chips. Add a splash of lime juice on avocado to prevent browning.
Additional Notes:If serving for brunch, serve family-style with all ingredients in separate bowls. Enjoy!