Chicken Burrito Bowl (Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker)
Chicken Burrito Bowl, chipotle adobo chicken, black beans, rice, veggies all prepared in Instant Pot for quick weeknight meal. You will love the flavors.
Posted By Savita
Chicken Burrito Bowl prepared in Instant Pot start to finish for a weeknight dinner ready in 25 minutes. It has all you want from a hearty yet quick weeknight meal. Delicious chipotle chicken, black beans, corn, bell pepper, rice, and spice. Gluten free, nuts free. Also dairy-free (when served without dairy toppings).
Burrito Bowls are my favorite when it comes to early Meal Prep. Even though Instant Pot ready this hearty meal in 25 minutes starting with fresh chicken and raw rice.. Yet it is even better to spend those 25 minutes over the weekend and keep weeknight free. It keeps well in refrigerator for up-to 5 days. Freeze well for up-to 6 months.
Honestly, weeknight dinner can't get easier than this.
What do you say? Let's make Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowl?!
Oh, and before we check the recipe, I highly recommend trying my 5 Minutes Magic Burrito Sauce to serve with this burrito bowls.
This Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe has rice and black beans which makes it a hearty complete meal. Still, it is low-carb than regular burrito because these is no extra tortilla. I find it filling and very satisfactory. No tortilla required.
In my home, chicken and rice are everyone's favorite. You can tell from all the Chicken (or other protein) and Rice recipes on blog.
Instant Pot Curry Chicken Rice, Lamb Rice, Shrimp Etouffee, Buffalo Chicken Rice and Slow Cooker Mojo Chicken Rice and more.. (I just realized, I have more meat and rice recipes than I thought. Time to club these under one roof. I'll share soon)
Honestly, it is all about the comfort of one-pot meal. If I get chances to sneak-in some veggies.. that rice recipe is a winner! This is where Burrito Bowl outshines my other chicken-rice recipes. It has red bell pepper, corn, beans, veggie-full salsa. Plus the option to top with more veggies. That much and still family loves it.
This is how the (usual) dialog goes:
What's for dinner?
Me: Chicken Burrito Bowls?
Oh, yummy. (Make some Chipotle Burrito Sauce too.)
Me: Sure thing! ;)
Life is peaceful. No ifs or buts, burrito bowls are everyone's favorite.
You know, Vishal would carefully remove any tomatoes I add to rice dishes. Mostly from all chicken and rice dishes. But not from Chicken Burrito, ever! I call such recipes a keeper.
What makes this Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe Special?
1) Flavor: Friends, the flavor of these chicken burrito is simply awesome. So tasty that it does not even need a lot of toppings. Some crunchy jalapenos, and some salsa. These tastes scrumptious even without cheese.. Seriously, I'm a fan!
2) Instant Pot: Another special here is the cooking method. Our hot favorite Instant Pot. drum rolls! 20-25 minutes, actually only 15 minutes of cooking and you have kitchen smelling like Mexican Restaurant. Delish! I use pressure cooking setting of IP (details in direction) for this recipe. It works perfectly every time.
3) Make Your Own Burrito Bowl: No kidding, you can make any changes you like to make this recipe suitable for your family. Like,
a) I skip chicken when we are on vegetarian diet for a wholesome Veggie burrito Bowl.
b) Skip beans if you don't like beans in burrito. Or replace black beans with pinto beans. (always drain and rinse beans before using in the recipe.)
c) Recipe is dairy free. Only don't use any dairy toppings and your dairy-free family member is covered too.
TIP: I like to slice a red onion and season with salt and lemon juice. Leave aside while Chicken and Rice cook in Instant Pot. In this time, onions get quick pickled, have less sharpness and more deliciousness. Top on burrito bowls before serving. A perfect replacement to tang of sour cream.
I made these bowls for Meal Prep this weekend. So glad that covered for at-least two weekday meals.
I hope get chance to try this recipe this week. Burrito Bowls are perfect for a Hearty Taco Tuesday. (hint hint)
Wish you a wonderful week ahead.
Chicken Burrito Bowl (Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker)
- 1.5 lbs Chicken (boneless breast or thigh, small cubed)
- 8 Oz Black Beans (low sodium, drained)
- 1 Cup Corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 Bell Pepper (small diced)
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (small diced)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (2-3 cloves, minced)
- 10 Oz Salsa (about 1.5 cup salsa, **check notes)
- 1 Cup Rice (long grain white rice, ***check notes)
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Chipotle in Adobo (**check notes)
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock (preferably low-sodium)
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeno (thin sliced)
Chicken and Rice
1. Heat Instant Pot to saute setting. Add oil and let it heat. Add diced onion, garlic and cook stirring often until onions are soft. (about 2-3 minutes)
2. Now, add minced chipotle chili and adobo sauce, oregano, cumin and diced bell pepper. Saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add diced chicken with generous pinch of salt. Saute with mixture for 1-2 minute or until chicken is no longer pink. There is no need to fully cook the chicken in this step. Just make sure it is no longer pink, seared from outside (juices locked-in).
4. Add drained black beans, corn, salsa, and stir to combine. Add washed rice. Top with 1 cup chicken broth. Stir to combine. Set Instant Pot to cook on Manual - High Pressure - 5 minutes. Once ***cooking time is over, quick release the pressure on Instant Pot.
5. Leave covered until ready to serve. When serving, gently mix everything, ladle into bowls. Top with chopped cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocado, and more salsa. Serve and enjoy!
**1 chipotle chili and about a tsp of adobo sauce makes a tbsp. No or less than tbsp mild, 1 - 1.5 tbsp - medium, 2 or more tbsp - hot. You can also use Mexican chili powder.
***I used long grain basmati rice. These cook perfect with QR in 5 minutes. If you using short grain or brown rice, time and liquid quantity will be different. Let me know the kind you using, and I can help.
Use ready-to-use medium salsa. Or blend 8 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, 1/2 jalapeno, 1/2 red onion, 4 tbsp. cilantro leaves with juice of 1 lime. Season with salt and pepper.
Leftovers stay good for 3-4 days.
On special requests, here is method to cook with Brown Rice:
1. 1 Cup Brown Rice will need 1 and 1/4 cup of chicken stock/broth.
2. Cooking time for Brown Rice = 22 minutes. (I only use long grain brown rice, which cook perfect in 22 minutes, other variety may take little longer, Read manual for that)
3. Since everything will cook for long time, here are few suggestions:
Use chicken as-is (not-diced) and shred later.
If you prefer little sturdy veggies (I mean bell pepper and corn only, or what you using), mix-in veggies later. After finishing cooking, add veggies, mix. Cover the lid (off instant pot) for 5 minutes for just lite tender veggies than mushy.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.