Strawberry Jam Swirl Breakfast Bread with Marzipan
Slightly sweet rich brioche-like breakfast bread with layers of strawberry jam, festive marzipan almond candy and sliced crunchy almonds.
Posted By Savita
Today, I'm sharing with you a scrumptious breakfast strawberry bread made with jam and surprise of baked nutty marzipan in the center. Strawberry Jam Swirl Breakfast Bread is like holiday-breakfast-wrapped-in-package! Soft light-sweet bread with layer of strawberry jam, and baked marzipan almond candy in center.. this bread is special favorite among kids.
Jam filling and baked marzipan are my favorite too. I love the fact that I can serve it as-is for breakfast and even for tea-time snacking without serving jam or butter on the side.
Holiday are all about family and food in our home.. I'm sure it is same in yours. When we have lots of guests at home, our breakfast usually becomes a brunch. Lunch becomes almost as grand as dinner. And by evening everyone want a lite supper… yet there is room for anything served over family-stories that go on until midnight! For such busy occasion, two things are clear must haves - lots of delicious holiday food and lots of pre-planning. :)
So, this week I'll share with you some of my favorite holiday recipes that are always in our family-times menu.
Take for example this Strawberry Jam bread, this bread is self-sufficient that it can be served as-is, just out of the oven and will still make great presentation. Sweetness of strawberry jam swirls through rich brioche-style bread with surprise of soft baked marzipan in the middle.
Where most breads will need serving of jam/butter/cheese on the side... this Strawberry Jam bread is delicious on its own. Served sliced on the breakfast table or snacking-table, it is as good to impress the guests as it is delicious!
Instead of making one huge bread, the recipe makes two mini loafs. I like to keep one warm in while one is served to the guests. Also, I like to slice the bread just before serving. This prevents bread from drying out and it stays moist and fresh.
I recommend making this bread fresh but you can also make it ahead of time of serving. If you making bread a day in advance. I recommend wrapping it in lite damp paper towel and microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time until bread is soft again.
Since bread is very simple, I recommend using good quality strawberry jam and marzipan candy. If you can't find marzipan, you can make just with strawberry jam too.
In-fact, bread itself is very soft and slightly sweet. If you prefer low sugar, or don't like/find strawberry jam. Use a sugar-free jam or a seasonal homemade preserve - orange preserve, wild berry preserve. Even applesauce will go great in this.
I hope you get chance to try this breakfast bread soon.
Wish you all a wonderful week ahead.
Add colors and flavor to Holiday Breakfast with these treats:
Strawberry Jam Swirl Breakfast Bread with Marzipan
- 4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (I tbsp less than 4 cups)
- 2 and 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast (1 package)
- 1 Marzipan - Almond Candy Dough (1 package)
- 1/2 Cup Strawberries Jam
- 2 Egg(s) (slight beaten)
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water (lukewarm, 110 degree Fahrenheit approx.)
- 1 Egg(s) (mixed with 1 tbsp water for glaze)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (sliced)
Strawberry Jam Bread Dough
Glaze and Topping
1. In a wide bowl (mixer bowl), add lukewarm water and mix in 1 tbsp sugar. Now sprinkle yeast on top and let bloom for 10 seconds. *Once yeast has bloomed, add in 3 cups of flour, salt, remaining sugar, slightly beaten eggs, and oil. Stir with spatula to combine. Dough will be of a sticky batter consistency.
2. With paddle attachment on low speed, add 1/4 cup flour at a time until dough leaves sides of the bowl. Now shift to dough hook and knead for 5 minutes. Or transfer to a flour dusted work surface and knead using stretch and fold action for 5-6 minutes. Transfer dough to oiled bowl, flip to coat. Cover and set aside to rise for 1.5 to 2 hours until doubles in size, at room temperature.
3. Once risen, punch down the dough and transfer to flour dusted board. Gently roll to large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the strawberry jam on the rolled dough in one even layer. Top with small dots of marzipan.
4. Roll the dough into a log. Divide in half. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Tuck the open ends inwards. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let it rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
5. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush risen dough with egg wash, and sprinkle sliced almonds on top. (you can also sprinkle some crystal sugar on top for a little sweet crunch.) Bake until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped at the bottom, about 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely!
* If yeast does not bloom, start again with fresh yeast.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.