Firecracker Popcorn Chicken
No-mess crispy chicken with double flavor of firecracker sauce! Perfect for game day munching!
Posted By Savita
Firecrackers of tangy buffalo hot sauce with sweetness of sugar, and crunch of fried chicken make these popcorn chicken bites - simply irresistible!
What better than to enjoy weekend watching Sunday games while munching sweet and spicy Firecracker Popcorn Chicken!? All popcorn and game-day lovers, raise your hands! :) My hands are sure up!
Today's popcorn are no ordinary popcorn.. These are Popcorn Chicken with double flavor of firecracker sauce - inside and outside!
I thought to give you guys something delicious to serve for Sunday Games. Actually, delicious but easy to prepare and not messy!
I know!! Breaded crispy popcorn chicken and not messy?!
Yes, trust me, it is "no mess popcorn chicken". You don't have to touch the chicken from breading to fryer! After that, you can, to eat it of course! ;)
Jump to recipe and check now!
My inspirations behind this popcorn chicken recipe are - hot and sweet flavors of firecracker sauce and football games.
- 1 lbs Chicken (boneless chicken breast, diced to bite-size pieces)
- 2 tsp Sambal Chili Paste
- 1.5 tbsp Canola Oil (more for frying)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs (such as panko or Italian)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Hot Sauce (buffalo hot sauce)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (prefer lite brown sugar)
- 2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sambal Chili Paste
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1. Marinate Chicken - Place diced chicken in a plastic bag, add all marinade ingredients - sambal chili paste, 1.5 tbsp oil, sugar, and generous 2 pinches of salt. Seal the bag and rub the chicken to distribute the marinade. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or 1 hour.
- 2. Make Firecracker Sauce - While chicken marinates, in a small microwave safe bowl, add all firecracker sauce ingredients. Mix well, then microwave for 10 seconds. Remove from microwave, stir well, then microwave again for 10 secs until sauce is shiny and sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- 3. Dredge Popcorn Chicken - Heat 2 inch of oil in fryer or deep sauce pan. While oil is heating up, in a plastic container (which has lid) add flour, breadcrumbs, 1/2 tsp salt and generous 1-2 pinch of black pepper. Mix well. Add marinated chicken, close box and shake 6-7 times to evenly dredge all chicken pieces.
- 4. Cook Popcorn Chicken - Open container, fry flour-dredged chicken pieces, in 3 batches, in hot oil until golden brown and crispy (2-3 minutes each batch) Never overcrowd the frying pan with lots of chicken or it will not get crispy. Drain on a wire rack.
- 5. Serve - If serving later. serve firecracker sauce on the side. If serving immediately, coat the chicken in sauce! Serve and enjoy!