Posted By Savita
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour (plus 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Cup Almonds (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coffee (Instant)
- 1-2 Red Food Color (drops)
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg(s) (small or half large)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Using electric mixture at high speed beat the butter till creamy and pale yellow. Add sugar and continue beating till sugar is all dissolved. Now lower the blender speed and blend in egg, vanilla and salt. Add in sifted flour and baking powder mixture gradually till just combined.
Additional NotesDo not over mix the flour.
2. Divide the dough in three equal parts. Mix cocoa powder and coffee in 1 tbsp warm water. Mix one portion dough with almonds and coffee mixture. Mix portion two dough with 2 drops of food color. Mix nutmeg with the third portion of dough.
3. Line a medium size loaf pan with a sheet of wax paper or cling sheet. Add coffee dough layer at the bottom , level it with spectula. Add second layer of nutmeg dough and finally add last layer of pink colored dough. (You can arrange these layers in any order you like). Refrigrate until firm - overnight or 12-14 hours.4. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silicon sheets or baking paper. Remove dough from loaf pan, cut lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch slices crosswise to make strip cookies.
5. Arrange cookies on cookie sheet keeping 1-2 inch distance between cookies.6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or till cookies are set and pale gold on the bottom. To ensure even baking, make sure to turn the cookie tray half way through baking.
Savita's Notes:I used homemade red food color for this recipe. To make homemade color, mix 1 finely sliced beat root with 1 cup Vodka and leave it for 1-2 weeks. Use this natural inexpensive preservative free food color for desserts like multi colored Neapolitan Cookies, red velvet cakes.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.