Posted On: Dec, 11 | Author: Savita
These crisp tri-color cookies are fun to eat and very delicious. Also known as “Neapolitan Cookies”, these are special cookies for me since I used to love these cookies as kid and now whenever I make these, it is like old childhood memories coming to life. In Neapolitan Cookies, each layer has phenomenal taste. I specially love hint of nutmeg in one layer, taste of dark espresso with crunch of almonds in second layer and taste of pure vanilla and beautiful light pink color from homemade red coloring in third layer. Try these buttery rich crispy cookies for holidays and win a major wow factor.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time: Cuisine: American (Dessert)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour (plus 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Cup Almonds (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coffee (Instant)
- 1-2 Red Food Color (drops)
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg(s) (small or half large)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1. Using electric mixture at high speed beat the butter till creamy and pale yellow. Add sugar and continue beating till sugar is all dissolved. Now lower the blender speed and blend in egg, vanilla and salt. Add in sifted flour and baking powder mixture gradually till just combined. Additional Notes: Do not over mix the flour.
- 2. Divide the dough in three equal parts. Mix cocoa powder and coffee in 1 tbsp warm water. Mix one portion dough with almonds and coffee mixture. Mix portion two dough with 2 drops of food color. Mix nutmeg with the third portion of dough.
3. Line a medium size loaf pan with a sheet of wax paper or cling sheet. Add coffee dough layer at the bottom , level it with spectula. Add second layer of nutmeg dough and finally add last layer of pink colored dough. (You can arrange these layers in any order you like). Refrigrate until firm - overnight or 12-14 hours.4. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silicon sheets or baking paper. Remove dough from loaf pan, cut lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch slices crosswise to make strip cookies.
5. Arrange cookies on cookie sheet keeping 1-2 inch distance between cookies.6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or till cookies are set and pale gold on the bottom. To ensure even baking, make sure to turn the cookie tray half way through baking.
Savita's Notes:I used homemade red food color for this recipe. To make homemade color, mix 1 finely sliced beat root with 1 cup Vodka and leave it for 1-2 weeks. Use this natural inexpensive preservative free food color for desserts like multi colored Neapolitan Cookies, red velvet cakes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @SAVITACHEFDEHOME on Instagram and hashtag it
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Craving For More? Subscribe Weekly Newsletter Check Products We Use (affiliate links) Request a Recipe