Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Shells
Delicious and easy Jumbo Pasta Shells stuffed with spinach, artichoke, and cheese, baked with flavorful tomato sauce for comforting family dinner.
Posted By Savita
Starting Monday with an easy recipe for baked Stuffed Shells with delicious, vegetarian spinach, artichoke and cheese stuffing.
This recipe is special because it is:
1) perfect for easy, comfy, weeknight family dinner.
2) good for meatless Monday.
3) lite, not heavy. Serve with suggested side of salad to keep your New Year goals on track.
Often, stuffed shells are filled with ricotta cheese or meat. But I decided to share today, my meatless-Monday-favorite stuffed jumbo shell with filling of herb, spinach, artichoke, and cheese, baked with a flavorful tomato sauce. Lite on cheese yet tastes so good. It will soon become your family favorite.
Let's get cooking.
To make baked pasta shells which are moist, perfectly cooked, and delicious, two steps are very important:
1) Par-Baking Pasta Shells: This step helps get perfectly cooked baked pasta shells. Whenever you intended to finish cooking pasta in oven i.e. baking. It is best to par-bake pasta. To par-bake, cook it 2-3 minutes less than time suggested on Pasta Package Container. e.g. If package suggested cooking time is 12 minutes for al-dente... Cook 9 minutes for par-bake. Rest it will cook in moisture of sauce in oven while baking.
2) Cover in Pasta Sauce: For any baked pasta, and specially for jumbo pasta shells.. It is important that pasta does not dry out when baked. So, 1) layer good amount of sauce at the bottom, 2) top pasta with sauce, and 3) bake covered with tinted aluminium foil for to help pasta cook perfectly in moisture of sauce.
Try these and make every baked pasta cooked to perfection.
This week I'm finishing my India trip. Felt so good meeting family after 6 long years. Hoping to be back soon and sharing more delicious new recipes on blog. Stay tuned.
In meanwhile, enjoy these baked shells.
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Shells
- 16 Oz Tomato Sauce
- 15 Oz Pasta (Jumbo Shell Pasta)
- 8.5 Oz Artichokes (water packed, drained, water squeezed and chopped)
- 100 Grams Spinach (frozen, thawed, water squeezed and chopped)
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp Olives (green or black, minced)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Parsley (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil spray. Set aside. Spray a 10 inch round baking dish with cooking oil spray. Set aside.
2. Cook Shell Pasta: Bring water to rolling boil. Season with salt. Cook shells for 9 minutes or until just al-dente. Once cooked, drained. Spread spaced apart on baking sheet. Set aside.
3. Prepare Stuffing: In meantime, in a small bowl, small diced artichoke, chopped spinach, feta cheese, olives, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 of mozzarella. Mix well. Set aside.4. Prepare Sauce: In 10 inch round baking dish, add half of tomato/marinara sauce. Mix in minced garlic, remaining oregano, 1 tbsp olive oil, chili flakes. Season with generous pinch of salt. Mix well. Add heavy cream and swirl into sauce.
5. Stuff Shells: Stuff each shell with about a tbsp of spinach-feta stuffing. Arrange each stuffed shell, in baking dish, in spiral. Once all stuffed shells are arranged in baking dish. Top shells with remaining tomato sauce. Season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle remaining tbsp of olive oil on top. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover loosely with tinted aluminum foil.Additional Notes: For more moist cooked pasta shells, cover shells as-much-as possible with tomato sauce6. Bake: Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese has melted. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe