Creamy Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
Creamy spicy Curried Sweet Potato Soup with ginger, curry powder and coconut milk. This soup is naturally sweet, vegan, has pleasant heat and spice of curry and is ready in Instant Pot in no time!
Creamy Curried Sweet Potato Soup with ginger, curry powder and coconut milk. This soup is naturally sweet, vegan, has pleasant heat and spice of curry and is ready in your favorite Instant Pot with just 10 minutes of Pressure cooking. Gluten Free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free.
With ginger, thyme and curry powder.. this sweet potato soup packs a punch of curry flavor and is supper healthy. Every sip will warm you head to toe. For me, it is the perfect winter-night-dinner fix with a crusty bread on the side.
So, let's cook some Sweet Potato Soup today!
Today's Sweet Potato Curry Soup is special for three reasons; 1) it gets natural sweetness from apples. No refined sugar or sweeteners. 2) gets creaminess from coconut milk. Dairy free and vegan. 3) Has healthy curry flavor with ginger and thyme. Not only flavorful, these herbs and spices are good to warm you from within, help fight flu season and harsh winter weather.
Look at how creamy this soup is? Almost like a Sweet Potato Bisque! But healthier and vegan. High five!
This Sweet Potato Curry Soup recipe completes my hat-trick of coconut curry recipes on the blog. Honestly, I'm obsessed with curry and coconut milk combo. Curry and coconut milk make unmistakably delicious combination which is also healthy, good-for-you and dairy-free. All of previous recipes - Instant Pot Creamy Thai Curry Lentils, Coconut Curry Shrimp have distinct and different curry flavor but are low-fat and dairy-free.
Tip: If you ever need to make a curry-in-hurry? Simply reach for ginger, garlic, onion, curry powder and coconut milk. With a protein of your choice, these simple 5 ingredients can yield a flavorful curry without need to follow any recipe.
If you like Curry with coconut Milk? Try more recipes from the blog:
What is your favorite way to enjoy Sweet Potato? Write a comment below and share with me.
Have a wonderful start of the week!
Creamy Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milkreviews) (7
- 1.5 lbs Sweet Potato (about 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and rough chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (rough chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic (1-2 cloves, minced)
- 35 Grams Ginger (fresh, peeled and rough chopped)
- 12 Oz Coconut milk (lite low-fat, unsweetened coconut milk)
- 2 Apple (granny smith, peeled, cored and rough chopped)
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cup Water (or low-sodium vegetable stock. SEE NOTE 1)
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried or 5-6 fresh sprig's leaves)
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh Herbs (parsley, or cilantro, or dill, or chives, for garnish)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice, adjust to taste)
- Salt and Black Pepper (1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, adjust to taste)
- 1. Sauté Aromatics: Heat olive oil in Instant Pot at Saute Setting. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook stirring often until onions are soft and have started to brown slightly at the edges. (4-5 minutes)
- 2. Add Curry and Herbs: Add curry powder, thyme and saute for 2 more minutes stirring often.
- 3. Pressure Cook: Add rough chopped sweet potato, cored and peeled diced apples, 3 cups of water or stock (if using. See Note 1) with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place the lid of Instant Pot. Seal and set vent to "sealing" position. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick Release, open the lid.
- 4. Puree Soup: Add coconut milk. Puree the soup with immersion blender to smooth consistency. Or Work in batches and puree soup in stand mixer/blender. Add back to pot. Mix in 1/2 tbsp of the lemon juice, black pepper. Stir well. Taste and adjust salt, and add more lemon juice (if needed). (See Note 2) Additional Notes: I end up adding 1/2 tsp more salt to bring out the flavor of soup.
- 5. Garnish Soup and Serve: Ladle hot soup into serving bowls. Garnish with toppings of choice. I recommend one or all - black pepper, walnuts, fresh herbs such as cilantro, dill, or parsley, chives. Serve and enjoy!
- For more depth of flavor, replace water with vegetable stock or water with a vegetable bouillon. If you are okay with soup not vegan, try soup with low-sodium chicken stock.
- Always adjust seasoning to taste. I recommend adjusting lemon juice and salt as per taste after blending the soup. Seasonings bring out the flavor of curry and coconut milk.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.