Homemade Crab Cakes
Homemade Crab Cakes, easy to make yet made from scratch with 8 ingredients. Delicious restaurant style recipe that will become your favorite. You will love the flavors!
Homemade Crab Cakes, easy to make yet made from scratch with 8 ingredients. Delicious restaurant style recipe that will become your favorite. These Crab Cakes are bursting with flavor of creole seasoning and have the perfect balance of lump crab meat and breading.
Serve Crab Cakes low-carb with lettuce leaf wraps and homemade 2-minute spicy dipping sauce (recipe in notes).
Let's bake Crab Cakes today!
What Do You Need To Make Crab Cakes
This recipe needs 8 ingredients, most importantly lump crab meat and seasoning.
I used Blue Lump Crab for this recipe. For seasoning, Creole Seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning both work. Here are the list of ingredients to make Crab Cakes:
- Crab Meat
- Crackers (or seasoned breadcrumbs)
- Seasoning (try homemade seasoning)
- Lemon Juice
To make Crab Cakes, I start by mixing all the ingredients except crab meat and crackers. It is important to:
- Do not break the lumps when mixing the crab meat.
- Use crackers as per need. Too much crackers can make cakes tough, too little will not bind the cakes.
Divide crab mixture into four portions. Flatten each portion into thick patties. Brown the cakes in a wide skillet on stove top, then bake in oven until cakes are golden and cooked through.
Mini Crab Cakes: To make mini crab cakes, divide the mixture into small 8 portions. Adjust the cooking time as described in Recipe Card' Notes.
What To Serve with Crab Cakes?
Serve Crab Cakes with dipping sauce such as Tarter Sauce or Spicy Mayo Sauce. To serve as meal sandwich in burgers or serve healthy low carb with lettuce leaves. Lettuce leaves work as small no-calorie tacos to pick-up crab cakes, spoon over some dipping sauce and devour!
To make Spicy Mayo Sauce, mix 1/4 cup mayo with 2 tsp of sriracha, 1 tbsp water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.
Tips for Success
- Do not break the lumps when mixing the crab meat.
- Add crumbs in crab mix in few batches. Only add that much which makes crab cakes easy to bind together. Too much crumbs will make cakes dry.
- To cook cakes all the way on stove top, make smaller cakes or wide thin cakes. Cook on low heat so these are cooked through.
Homemade Crab Cakesreviews) (5
- 1/2 tsp Creole Seasoning (or old bay seasoning. See Note 6)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil (for shallow frying)
- 8 Oz Crab Meat
- 1 Egg(s)
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 Green Onion (thin sliced, more for garnish)
- 1/2 Cup Crackers (butter crackers, 3/4 cup when crushed. See Note 5)
- 1. Mix Ingredients: In a medium bowl, add egg, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, green onion, seasoning, and salt. Mix to break egg and mix into the mayo. Add crab meat and gently fold in mix. Be careful not to break the lumps. Place crackers in a ziplock bag. Use a roller pin to crush crackers to make crumbs. Set aside.
- 2. Preheat Oven: Set oven to preheat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with a coat of oil. Set aside.
- 3. Make Cakes: Add crushed cracker crumbs (or bread crumbs if using) into the crab mix in 2-3 batches. Only add that much which makes crab cakes easy to bind together. Divide crab mixture into four portions. Flatten each portion to make 3-4 wide inch patty. Place on prepared baking sheet. Set aside. See Note 5.
- 4. Shallow Fry Crab Cakes: Heat oil in a large non-stick or cast iron cooking skillet. When oil is hot, carefully transfer formed cakes into the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Flip with flat spatula and cook other side for 2 minutes. Cakes will be golden from both sides but center is not fully cooked yet.
- 5. Finish in Oven: Transfer par-cooked crab cakes to the same baking sheet. Cook in preheat oven for 10-15 minutes or until crab cakes are golden on the sides.
- 6. Serve: Transfer cooked crab cakes to serving platter. Serve with side of spicy mayo. (recipe in notes)
- For this recipe, I used Blue Lump Crab. Use a good quality crab lump meat as per availability. make sure to check for shells in the crab meat.
- Recipe yields 4 large crab cakes. To make 8 smaller cakes reduce the cooking time in oven accordingly. Set timer for 15 minutes. After first 7 minutes of cooking, keep an eye and continue until sides are golden.
- Spicy Mayo: Mix 1/4 cup mayo with 2 tsp of sriracha, 1 tbsp water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Tarter Sauce: Mix 1/4 cup mayo with 1/2 tbsps of caper, 2 tbsps of minced pickle, and 1 minced scallion (green onion).
- Crackers or Seasoned Bread Crumbs Half and Half: I often use butter crackers, or plain crackers mixed with half of the seasoned bread crumbs for this recipe. All seasoned bread crumbs will be fine as well. Mix crumbs in crab mix in few batches. Only add that much which makes crab cakes easy to bind together. Too much crumbs will make cakes dry.
- Seasoning - Use Creole Seasoning/Old Bay Seasoning/Blackening Seasoning for this recipe. If seasoning used has salt (pre added), then skip adding additional salt in crab cakes.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.