Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Make crispy Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer with this easy recipe. Needs no oil, just 6 ingredients and 20 mins in fryer for a guilt-free snack. Try with suggested dips for serving on game day.
Learn to make Crispy Breaded Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer with this easy recipe. Fresh Zucchini, cut into sticks and breaded, then air fried to perfection. Sharing two simple ingredients swap to make golden crispy and tasty fries. Air Fried Zucchini Sticks will become your go-to air fryer healthy snack.
Zucchini Fries are lightly breaded and need no oil. Watch 1 minute video (coming soon) to learn how to bread fries quickly and yet get crispy air fried fries without oil.
Let's get to the recipe.
Oh, if you don't have air fryer, don't worry. Simply bread the fries as descried in Recipe Card and then roast in the oven. (detailed ahead)
Air Fried Zucchini
For years I made oil-free zucchini fries, for snacking, in the oven. Since we bought Air Fryer, Air Fried zucchini has taken the place of over fried zucchini. I love the convenience of quick cooking time. Air Fryer heats way faster. There is no wait for oven to preheat.
In Air Fryer, zucchini fries cook without oil. Plus you can layer the battered fries to cook a big batch at once with same crispy results. This means fries are ready quickly. Quick snack equals happy family.
For this recipe, I use seasoned egg wash and breadcrumbs breading. Once breaded, zucchini fries are ready in air fryer in just 10 minutes per batch.
What Do You Need to Zucchini Fries (sticks) in Air Fryer?
Ingredients to make air fried zucchini sticks are easy to find pantry staples. Here is what you need:
- Zucchini (courgette)
- Bread Crumbs
- Seasonings - Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan or Potato Chips (see notes for details)
Golden Breaded Zucchini Fries
To make perfect golden breaded Zucchini Fries, I make two simple ingredients swap in traditional oven-fried breading:
- Use Italian bread crumbs instead of panko. In my experience, panko crumbs are light and don't brown well. Italian crumbs are fine and roast to very tasty finished fries.
- Substitute a portion of bread crumbs with parmesan cheese or plain salted potato chips. A little goes long way. About 1/2 cup grated parmesan or crushed chips in bread crumbs will promote crispiness of air fried zucchini fries.
To cook zucchini fries in Air Fryer, I start by slicing the zucchini into sticks. About 2-3 inch long and 1/2 inch thick. You can also peel the zucchini but I leave the skin as-is. Skin is edible and gets crispy delicious when fried.
As shown in pictures above, next I coat sliced zucchini sticks in seasoned egg wash. (see Recipe Card for details of seasoning)
TIP: Cut the breading time to half by using a big bowl to mix egg wash and add all sticks at the same time.
Once zucchini is dipped in egg wash, Next, pick 1-2 stick, roll in crumbs and set aside.
When ready to cook Zucchini Fries, preheat air fryer and place breaded zucchini sticks on air fryer rack in layers, crisscross each layer. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye in last 2 minutes. Add additional 1-2 minutes until fries are crispy as per your preference.
That's it! Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are ready to devour! Serve while still hot.
TIP: Use a baking sheet tray for breading. Roll zucchini sticks in bread crumb and place on the side. This helps finish breading in just 2 dishes i.e. 1 bowl for egg wash, a tray for breading.
Cooking zucchini fries in air fryer is very easy. Here are my notes to always cook perfectly crispy, the best fries in air fryer every time.
- Preheat Air Fryer - This ensures even cooking from the start. Plus fries don't stick to each other while cooking.
- Adjust the timings as per size of air fryer and amount of fries. I air fried 1.5 pound zucchini fries in two batches of 10 minute each at 390 degree Fahrenheit.
- Always keep an eye in last 2 minutes. Time to make crispy golden fries vary from 8-10 minutes. Add additional 1-2 minutes until fries are crispy as per your preference.
Baked Zucchini Fries If you don't have air fryer, don't worry. Simply bread the fries as descried in Recipe Card and then roast in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit until golden and crispy. For best results, flip once halfway through the cooking.
If you have an air fryer recipe in mind that I should share on the blog? Leave a message below and let me know.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Learn to make crispy Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer with this easy recipe. Zucchini Fries are lightly breaded and need no oil. Watch video to learn how to bread fries quickly and yet get crispy air fried fries without oil.
Dips for Zucchini Fries
Air Fryer Zucchini Friesreviews) (5
- 1. Prepare Ingredients for Zucchini Fries : Trim and cut zucchini lengthwise in two parts, then half from the center lengthwise. Cut each quadrant into 4 pieces lengthwise. Set aside. In a medium bowl add eggs, mix in salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and lemon zest. Mix well. In a small rimmed baking sheet or rimmed plate, combine seasoned bread crumbs (see note 1) with cheese or potato chips (if using). Set aside. Additional Notes: See Post for picture of steps.
- 2. Bread Zucchini to Make Fries: Add sliced zucchini into the egg mixtures. Toss with tong to fully coat in eggs. Transfer egg-coated fries, one at a time into the bread crumbs, roll and press gently to cover in crumbs. Keep setting aside in a plate or on the empty side of the baking sheet. Repeat until all zucchini sticks are breaded.
- 3. Preheat Air Fryer: Insert air fryer rack in air fryer. Preheat air fryer at 390 degrees Fahrenheit at Air Fry setting for 3 minutes.
- 4. Air Fry Zucchini Fries : Once preheated, off and open fryer. Arrange prepared zucchini on the fryer rack in 4-5 layers, crisscrossing each layer to better circulate the hot air. Set the air fryer to air fry for 8 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep an eye in last 2 minutes. Additional Notes: Fries get crispy in 8-10 minutes.
- 5. Repeat and Serve : Transfer hot Zucchini Fries to serving platter. Repeat Step-4 for batch 2. Serve while still hot!
- Seasoned Italian Breadcrumbs - If Italian breadcrumbs are not seasoned i.e. have added herbs and salt, then mix 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tbsp fresh parsley, 3/4 tsp of salt in bread crumbs before using.
- Potato Chips - To make Fries dairy free and vegan, replace parmesan cheese with crushed potato chips. Take 6-10 plain salted chips, add to a Ziploc bag. Remove air and lock the bag. Use a roller pin to crush chips into large panko crumb size pieces. I use salted plain potato chips.
- Air Fry Zucchini Fries layered and/or in batches. For crisper fries, I arrange fries in 4-5 layers crisscrossing each layer to better circulate the hot air. This is the best way to cook fries in bulk yet crispier. If you have small fryer, fry Zucchini Fries in 2-3 batches.
- Note: I used Ninja Foodi Max XL Air Fryer (5.5 Quart) for this recipe. (affiliate link)
- Zucchini Fries taste better when served hot, just-out-of-fryer with a tangy Dip such as Sriracha Mayo.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
NatalieIm making zucchini fries all the time for my family. I will give your recipe a try for sure. Looks fantastic!
Iryna BychkivThese fries are so crispy, Im impressed that theyre made without oil, makes them so much healthier!
JillIm always excited when I run across a new air fryer recipe. Ive not tried zucchini fries yet and these look like I need to try them!
GinaJust as good as from any pizza joint - love making my own now with this recipe!
KatherineThese zucchini fries look so crispy! A perfect thing to put in the air fryer. Yum!