Healthy Vegetarian Fajitas
Posted By Savita
Bringing vegetarian mushroom fajitas to your meatless Monday dinner! Lite and healthy, loaded with zesty flavors for a delicious summer dinner.
When I get craving for vegetarian fajitas, I start looking in refrigerator for ingredients for inspiration. I had a batch of Homemade Fajitas Seasoning in pantry that fueled my cravings even more! Portabello mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, zippy fajita seasoning... and my kitchen screamed sizzling veggie fajitas.
Just 20 minutes from skillet to tortillas, a mushroom loaded veggie fajita dinner works at many levels:
1) Lite, healthy and Fast weeknight summer dinner.2) At least two serving of veggies per person.3) Loaded with veggies and also ton of flavor with spicy-smokey Fajita Seasoning, crunchy vibrant peppers, earthy mushrooms with splash of lime juice.
Does this sound like a delicious summer dinner or what?!
So, let's make some healthy vegetarian fajitas!
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 Mushrooms (Portabello Mushrooms, sliced lengthwise)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp Seasoning (medium fajita seasoning, homemade recipe link in notes)
- 2 Bell Pepper (one red and one green, seeds discarded, sliced lengthwise)
- 1 White Onion (sliced into half moons)
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- Lime (juice of a lime, more wedges for serving)
- 1-2 Tomatoes (sliced into wedges)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp Cilantro
- 4-6 Tortillas (Flour Tortillas, Warmed)
- 1. Slice mushrooms, bell pepper and white onion lengthwise. Combine olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, and fajita seasoning in a bowl. Add in bell peppers and onions. Set aside.
- 2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in preheated cast iron pan, add sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Saute until mushrooms are tender, has lost water content, and have started to caramelize. (about 5-7 minutes).
Add sliced bell pepper, onion along with marinade and saute until onion-peppers crisp tender.
Additional Notes:We want to keep bell peppers crunchy, so just cook these briefly about 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Top with sliced tomatoes and fresh chopped cilantro. Splash fresh lime juice on top. Warm tortillas. Serve on side of hot fajita's skillet. Enjoy!