Healthy Vegetarian Fajitas
Bringing vegetarian mushroom fajitas to your meatless Monday dinner! Lite and healthy, loaded with zesty flavors for a delicious summer dinner.
When I get craving for vegetarian fajitas, I start looking in refrigerator for ingredients for inspiration. I had a batch of Homemade Fajitas Seasoning in pantry that fueled my cravings even more! Portabello mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, zippy fajita seasoning... and my kitchen screamed sizzling veggie fajitas.
Just 20 minutes from skillet to tortillas, a mushroom loaded veggie fajita dinner works at many levels:
1) Lite, healthy and Fast weeknight summer dinner.
2) At least two serving of veggies per person.
3) Loaded with veggies and also ton of flavor with spicy-smokey Fajita Seasoning, crunchy vibrant peppers, earthy mushrooms with splash of lime juice.
Does this sound like a delicious summer dinner or what?!
So, let's make some healthy vegetarian fajitas!
Our move-out was so near when I made these veggie fajitas. It was also perfect opportunity to clean-up the fridge. Vishal would only chicken fajitas.. So I made some chicken for him. We often use homemade tortillas for fajitas but for this batch I just used good quality store bought tortillas.
All in all, it was a great dinner. I'm sure you will love it for Meatless Monday Summer Dinner!
These veggie fajitas are also quick to put together because there is no marination time. Unlike chicken fajitas, no-marinade fajitas work fine for vegetables.
To make these fajitas, I combine olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, and fajita seasoning in a bowl. Toss in veggies and set aside while I heat the skillet.
Once skillet is hot, I first cook the mushrooms. Cooking these first and separate from other veggies is very important. Mushrooms take a little longer to cook. Also, water released from mushroom will poach the veggies instead of crispy-tender saute. So, please make sure to cook mushrooms until these are tender. Then add veggies and saute on high heat until peppers and onions are crisp tender.
That's it! A little splash of lime, some fresh sliced green chilies, a little bit of salsa and cream (if you prefer)! Healthy fajitas are ready to brighten up a summer weekday dinner!
I hope you will enjoy these vegetarian fajitas as much as we did.
For some more Fajita Recipes love, try following:
PS: This recipe was first posted on August 2013. I have updated the recipe with new images.
Recipe for Guacamole or Zippy Salsa to serve on the side:
Healthy Vegetarian Fajitas
- Vegetarian Fajitas
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 Mushrooms (Portabello Mushrooms, sliced lengthwise)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp Seasoning (medium fajita seasoning, homemade recipe link in notes)
- 2 Bell Pepper (one red and one green, seeds discarded, sliced lengthwise)
- 1 White Onion (sliced into half moons)
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- Lime (juice of a lime, more wedges for serving)
- 1-2 Tomatoes (sliced into wedges)
- For Serving
- Sour Cream (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp Cilantro
- 4-6 Tortillas (Flour Tortillas, Warmed)
- 1. Slice mushrooms, bell pepper and white onion lengthwise. Combine olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, and fajita seasoning in a bowl. Add in bell peppers and onions. Set aside.
- 2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in preheated cast iron pan, add sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Saute until mushrooms are tender, has lost water content, and have started to caramelize. (about 5-7 minutes).
- 3. Add sliced bell pepper, onion along with marinade and saute until onion-peppers crisp tender. Additional Notes: We want to keep bell peppers crunchy, so just cook these briefly about 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Top with sliced tomatoes and fresh chopped cilantro. Splash fresh lime juice on top. Warm tortillas. Serve on side of hot fajita's skillet. Enjoy!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.