Palak Saag Paneer
Spinach Cooked With Fresh Indian Cheese
Posted By Savita
Palak Saag Paneer is a delicious, healthy vegetarian main course prepared with spinach and Indian cheese (Paneer). It is absolutely wonderful with Chapati or naan. There are many different versions of Saag Paneer prepared in various parts of India but main ingredients i.e. Palak (Spinach) and Paneer (Indian Cheese) are always there.
Use Paneer if you can find it! Or try it with fresh Corn Kernels Or even Tofu works great. (Just slightly fry Firm Tofu like recipe indicates to fry Paneer).
For Spinach Gravy, some people like to coarsely puree spinach with raw tomatoes and then add Tadka (sauteed onion and spices) to it. Or in few parts of India, tomatoes are cooked with Tadka (sauteed onion and spices) and then pureed spinach is added into it. To me it tastes delicious either ways but I often opt the first approach to cook it.
The first approach needs less effort, you can even blanch and puree spinach with tomatoes in morning. Come home from work in evening, steam some rice. While rice are cooking, fry paneer, saute onion and spices, add already pureed spinach-tomato mixture, cook and dinner is ready!!
Sounds good to me, how about you?
Palak Saag Paneer
- 1/2 lbs Paneer (cut into small pieces or use firm tofu cubes)
- 1 lbs Spinach (about two bunch spinach, washed, hard stems and roots removed.)
- 1 & 1/2 Tomatoes (medium size)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Hot Green Pepper (small)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream (Optional but recommended for serving)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Wash spinach and cook in boiling hot water for 2-3 minutes, drain, and then transfer into ice cold water. Drain and squeeze out water from spinach.2. Blend blanched spinach with roughly chopped tomatoes and 1 green chili pepper to a coarse consistency.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and fry paneer (till slightly brown from all sides) and drain on a paper towel.4. Remove leftover oil from pan, add another 2 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds and onion and fry for 5-6 mins or till light brown in color. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2 minutes. Now add turmeric, red chili powder and fry for 1 min.
5. Add in blended spinach mixture and fry for 10 minutes till spinach gets rich dark green color. Now add fried paneer and cook for 2 minutes.6. Just before serving, add 1-2 tsp heavy cream per serving or serve cream on the side with Plain Rice or Chapaati Or Paratha.
Additional NotesWith Heavy Cream in Palak Paneer, you can also enjoy it with toasted baguette.
Savita's Notes:If using frozen spinach, thaw spinach and then squeeze out extra water. Follow recipe direction from Step-2 onwards.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.