Strawberry Chia Frozen Yogurt
Posted By Savita
You can see the pretty pics and do I need to mention?, it tastes refreshing and delicious!!
No one is new to pro-biotics found in yogurt. Yogurt is one super-food that alone can help you maintain balanced weight and good stomach health. (90% of our immune system operates from our gut). Well, I am not exaggerating here. Yogurt is a super healthy food. I have huge respect for cows for giving us so much and asking nothing much in return. Milk, yogurt, butter, cheeses all are so integral part of our life. All these are gracious gifts from cows to humanity. My humble thanks to all animals helping human beings in many spheres of life.
So we were talking yogurt. One point in my life, I used to love flavored yogurt sold in stores. Not to mention names but you know those popular brands selling fruit flavored sweet yogurts with 90 calories health promise. I used to love'em all. After reading about'em and paying attention on labels, I made up my mind to give-up eating all of them. Even though there creamy texture and sweetness allure me, I never grab one from dairy isle ever!!! Reason? crystal clear - use of artificial colors, thickeners, fructose corn syrup and God knows what all they using to get that rich luscious color? Sometimes back there was a report mentioning one fruit yogurt company using insects (yes! you read it right), insects to color yogurts.
Since then either we eat plain low/no fat yogurt mixed with condiments to make raita or I make fresh fruit frozen or chilled yogurts at home. It is so simple, just blend, freeze and enjoy! You can add good amount of sugar if you like'em sweet. At-least yogurt will not have artificial stuff in it. Also, check label before buying plain yogurt too. Some companies are adding all sorts of thickeners to even plain yogurts. I use honey to sweeten the strawberry frozen yogurt. Use sugar or honey or simply skip it if yogurt is not very sour and berries are fresh and sweet. In-fact, you can make it sugar free, then drizzle some honey or agave syrup over the yogurt per your liking. Chilled or frozen goods don't feel very sweet until we add lot of sugar. Pouring over instead will help you taste sweetness right away and with far less sugar calories! This recipe doesn't need ice cream machine. I make all ice creams or frozen yogurts without machine, just by churning/blending'em once in-between the freezing time. This improves the texture and reduces ice-crystals in yogurt. Churn 2-3 times at interval of 1 hr if you looking for very creamy texture. I have just churned this batch once. Also low-fat yogurt has more water content. For more improved creamy texture, you can also use full-fat yogurt.
Eat smart, stay healthy!! Freeze some fresh, healthy, and preservative free homemade strawberry frozen yogurt this weekend and enjoy!!
Strawberry Chia Frozen Yogurt
- 1/2 lbs Strawberries (fresh srawberries, plus few slices for serving)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds (soaked in 1 tbsp water + 1 tbsp yogurt for 10 minutes)
- 2 tbsp Honey (or more if prefer sweeter)
- 2 Cup Yogurt (low fat)
- Mint (mint leaves for garnish)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. With hand blender or mixer, blend quartered strawberries and yogurt to make smooth puree. Mix in pre-soaked chia seeds and whisk well to make sure chia seeds are fully distributed in yogurt mixture.2. Pour yogurt mixture in freezer safe container and freeze for 1 hour or until frozen to semi-solid state.
3. After an hour, remove mixture from freezer, pour in blender again and blend to make smooth puree (breaking all solid chunks). Freeze again until ready to serve. (1 to 2 hrs)4. Remove from freezer 20 min before serving. Scoop to dessert cups. Garnish with mint and strawberry slices. Enjoy homemade frozen yogurt!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.