Chipotle Sofritas - Chipotle Mexican Grill's Braised Sofritas Copycat
sharing not-so-spicy version of my own recipe, on Popular Demand
Posted By Savita
By now, you know for sure, I am a die-hard Chipotle Mexican Grill's Chipotle Sofritas fan! And If you are here, reading this post, you are no different either. :) I know, I know, chipotle grill has made this vegan tofu sofritas so darn tasty that everyone just loves it.
Recently, I watched a documentary on Chipotle Mexican Grill company. Earlier, I thought, this recipe was created by weight-watchers for Chipotle Mexican Grill. Now, I came to know, famous Mexican cuisine expert, chef Malin also has contribution in Chipotle's Sofritas recipe.
Well, I am no chef Malin, but I know you liked my earlier Chipotle Sofritas recipe. In-fact, I am pretty sure you are here following one of my previous Chipotle Recipe's link :)
Your encouragement is what keeps me going in testing/trying great recipes that you and I can cook at home, save money, and eat healthier always! Everyone said, Chipotle Sofritas recipe that I have shared earlier was spicy. So I thought to test and try my original recipe a little more to create a LESS SPICY perfect COPY OF Chipotle's SOFRITAS...
- 2 Chipotle in Adobo (2 peppers plus 3 tbsp adobo sauce liquid)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cup Water (or low-sodium vegetable stock, 1/4 cup and rest divided)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder (toasted)
- 2 tsp Oregano (preferrably dried mexican oregano)
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 3 tbsp Lemon (juice of about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Poblano Pepper (roasted on open flame, seeds and skin removed)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1.25 lbs Tofu (super firm tofu. two 10 ounce packets, will need half the sauce/marinade)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
Chipotle Sofrito Sauce
- 1. Start with roasting the pepper. It took me 5 minutes to beautifully char this pablano! Let cool a little, then remove seeds and scrap-off skin of poblano. set aside.
For sauce, in a blender/food processor jar, add chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, poblano pepper, garlic, cumin powder, oregano and tomato paste.
Additional Notes:Tomato paste I used is Monte Amore Tomato Paste, You can use any good quality tomato paste or tomato puree. If using tomato puree instead of paste, then use less water in step 3.
- 3. Add olive oil, salt, lemon juice, sugar, and 1/4 cup water/vegetable stock. Process to make a fine puree. Set aside.
To prepare Tofu - Pat dry tofu with paper towel to soak any moisture. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan, add half of tofu and shallow fry until crisp from both sides. (about 3-4 minutes each side). Repeat with remaining tofu.
Additional Notes:For best results, press tofu with paper towel under a heavy weight for 5-10 minutes to get rid of access moisture.
- 5. Drain prepared tofu on paper towel to soak excess of oil while you finish frying rest.
- 6. Make Sofritas - In a wide pan, add 1/2 cup of sofritas marinade/sauce prepared in step 3. Saute stirring frequently until oil starts to show on side. (just 2-3 minutes) This ensures raw garlic taste is gone and also flavor develops with cooking sauce.
- 7. Add fried and chopped tofu and cook for 1 minutes coating in the sauce.
- 8. Add remaining stock (if using) or water. Mix well and bring mixture to rolling boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes. Break pieces of tofu with spatula once-in-a-while while sauce is cooking. Don't let water/stock completely dry-off, leave sauce little sauce-y like chipotle's.
- 9. Sofritas are ready!!! Serve with rice and salsa. Enjoy! I have covered all recipes for a delicious sofritas bowl. Make at home and enjoy!
If sauce still feels spicy to you, consider adding 1/2 tbsp more sugar or 1 tbsp more tomato paste,. Also you can use just one adobo pepper and instead add one more tbsp adobo sauce for flavor.
Less Saucy Sofritas? If you planning to fill sofritas in tacos and not eating with rice? Just add less water when cooking tofu with marinade and water. About 1/2 cup should be fine to develop flavor in tofu... then simmer away any excess water or until desired sofritas consistency achieved.
If you can't find Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce? Here is the link to buy it from Amazon:
Update (April-16-2018): Now, you can make Chipotle Adobo Sauce at home with my new recipe. All you need is dried chipotle peppers and some basic pantry ingredients. Follow Chipotle Adobo Sauce recipe link.