Scrambled Tofu in Chipotle and Roasted Poblano Sofrito
Posted By Savita
Every one loved Shredded Spicy Tofu recipe I posted few months back. I promised to share one more sofritas recipe which will make you forget Chipotle Mexican Grill vegan sofritas (ok, this recipe is so close to Chipotle sofritas that you will start making'em at home very so often).
While cooking chipotle sofritas, my house was smelling like I am dinning at Mexican Grill and eating sofritas with white cilantro rice, roasted tomatillo salsa and sour cream. Super Yummy!! My all-time favorite.
Organic tofu marinated in chipotle chilies, roasted poblanos and a blend of aromatic spices. Even after using two kinds of peppers, sofritas are not very spicy but very flavorful and delicious.
For vegetarians, this is a great addition by Chipotle Mexican Grill which you can make at home and wow your friends.
Update October 16, 2014- On popular demand, I have added a new Chipotle Sofritas Recipe which is sauce-y like chipotle's, also less spicy like chipotle's, and made with ONLY natural find-at-home ingredients, no tajin this time (as promised). Check it out!
Update Feb 26, 2014 - Chipotle Sofritas is close to Mexican Grill Sofritas in taste. If you also care for texture, try this new recipe, Chipotle Mexican Grill – Braised Chipotle Sofritas Recipe
Update Feb 11, 2014 - Everyone loved Chipotle Sofritas and asked me for more Sofritas recipes. On repeated demand, I have added another Sofritas recipe, very close to Spicy Chipotle Mexican Grill Sofritas but in Verde Style . Scrambled tofu marinated in roasted poblanos, lime, cilantro and a blend of aromatic spices. check it out.
Updated: On popular demand, I have made a special post for y'all, covering many recipes of Chipotle's Mexican Grill.
Please follow and Pin this links for Chili-Lime Corn Salsa and many other Chipotle's recipes.
Update (April-16-2018): Now, you can make Chipotle Adobo Sauce at home with my new recipe. All you need is dried chipotle peppers and some basic pantry ingredients. Follow Chipotle Adobo Sauce recipe link.
- 1/4 Cup Chipotle in Adobo
- 2 Poblano Pepper (roasted, skin and seeds removed)
- 1 lbs Tofu (I used two 10 oz (about 0.6 lb each) packet of House Foods Super Firm Organic Tofu)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano (Preferably Mexican Oregano)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Tajin Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (plus extra 1 tbsp for frying)
- 1 tbsp Sugar (Optional - Add this if marinade is spicy for you.)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Marinade - In a blender or hand blender's jar, add 1/4 cup Chipotle in Adobo sauce.2. Marinade - Add roasted poblano peppers, oregano, salt, roasted cumin powder, Tajin Seasoning and 2 tbsp oil.
3. Marinade - Blend it using hand blender or in a food processor to make paste. If mixture is thick add a little more oil ( 1 tsp at a time)4. Drain Tofu and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture. In a bowl, scramble tofu using clean hands. I scrambled it fully, you can even leave it little chunkier if you like.
5. Add 2 tbsp of marinade per 10 oz (0.5 lb) and mix well. Taste and adjust salt in tofu. I initially added 4 tbsp marinade, tasted and then added 1 more tbsp. (depends on how spicy you like) 5 tbsp keep it mild spicy. Marinade for 1 to 2 hours. You can even leave overnight and cook the next day for even better flavor.6. Cook Sofritas - Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, add marinated tofu and saute for 4-6 minutes. Sauteing Sofritas make my home smell like Chipotle Mexican Grill, really delicious. Transfer to serving bowl, serve hot with rice, sour cream and salsa verde.
Savita's Notes:I paired my Chipotle Sofritas with homemade roasted tomatillo salsa and cilantro, sweet pea rice. Sofrito Chipotle Marinade will stay good in refrigerator, in an airtight container for 1 week.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.