Braised Chipotle Tofu Sofritas
Tofu Braised in Chipotle and Roasted Poblano Sofrito
Posted By Savita
Chipotle Tofu Sofritas won me first time I ate Vegan Bowl at Chipotle Mexican Grill and I so-so wanted to make it at home. Hungry for Sofritas, I tried, tested Chipotle Marinated Sofritas and Sofritas Verde recipes and also shared with you. You all tried and loved the Chipotle Sofritas Recipe, some even said, it was better than Chipotle Grill Sofritas. hmm, flattering!! thanks a ton!!
No kidding, it really was best close and even better I could get to Mexican Grill Sofritas taste at home. Until now, it was taste which I was after but now also the texture. Today, I am also showcasing the braising technique used by Mexican Grill to cook sofritas.
What I am sharing with you today will blow your socks away. For this version of Chipotle Sofritas Recipe, I am sure, Chipotle Mexican Grill will pay me to take the recipe out of internet ;) [j/k] It is so-so close, in-fact it is the same, not just in taste but this time in texture too.
We should thank Chipotle Mexican Grill and Weight Watchers for introducing us to so flavorful, delicious, vegan and clean spanish sofrito flavors which we can now make at home.
Perfume of braising chipotle sofritas felt like my home and I were transported to Spanish Chef's kitchen. After tasting and enjoying the texture, I realized, I am in Chipotle Mexican Grill (at home ;) ) Y U M M Y!!!
Are you ready to try Tofu braised in Chipotle, roasted Poblano chili and blend of aromatic spices at home? Then follow the instructions. Give special attention to method of preparation because that’s the key!! Enjoy!!
Update October 16, 2014- On popular demand, I have added a new Chipotle Sofritas Recipe which is sauce-y like chipotle's, also less spicy like chipotle's, and made with ONLY natural find-at-home ingredients, no tajin this time (as promised). Check it out!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Braised Chipotle Tofu Sofritas
- 1 lbs Tofu (I have used Super Firm Organic Tofu)
- 1/4 Cup Chipotle in Adobo
- 1 Poblano Pepper (fire roasted, skin and seeds removed)
- 1 Garlic (1 clove of garlic)
- 1 tsp Oregano (preferably Mexican Oregano)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (roasted cumin powder)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Tajin Seasoning
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sugar (Optional - Add this if marinade is spicy for you.)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Sofrito Spice Blend - In a blender or hand blender's jar, add 1/4 cup Chipotle in Adobo sauce. Add roasted poblano peppers, oregano, salt, garlic, roasted cumin powder, Tajin Seasoning, sugar(if using or if making first time at home, then recommended) and 2 tbsp oil. Blend it using hand blender or in a food processor to make paste. Set aside.2. Pat dry tofu to dry out extra moisture. Slice Tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and pan fry tofu 2 to 3 pieces at a time ( depending upon how wide pan you have, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. tofu should touch the hot pan surface all time) This takes about 3-4 minutes per side.4. While you fry all pieces, drain fried tofu on a plate lined with clean paper towel to absorb out extra oil.
5. Chop or shred (with clean hands) the fried tofu into small bite size chunks. I kept it very chunkier this time, you can also chop it roughly to very small pieces like Chipotle Mexican Grill.6. In a pan, add 2-3 tbsp chipotle & poblano spice blend and fried shredded tofu. Also add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil.
Additional NotesFor more flavor, you can also use vegetable stock instead of water for braising liquid.
7. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, till water has almost all evaporated and shredded tofu has been coated nicely in Chipotle Sofrito.
Additional NotesFor Chipotle Style, leave it some what watery, don't let all water evaporate.
Savita's Notes:I paired my Chipotle Sofritas today with homemade rainbow radish and lime salad and Tomato Rice. Leftover Chipotle Sofrito will stay good in refrigerator, in an airtight container for 1 week. You can saute some boneless chicken in it for lunch next day. Enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.