Skinny Hot Cocoa
Perfect for Valentine's day, or any day of the year!!
Posted By Savita
It is still snowing on East Coast and we, in California, are packing warm cloths! I love winters so much that it is sad to see such a short winter season here this year. So, wishing for some more rain.....
By all means, I'm a winter person and still in mood of winter, Love cold weather and the delicious concoctions we can enjoy in such weather....... soups.... stews.... and some hot cocoa!
Today, I'm sharing with you, one of my winter favorite, which I love making for me and Vishal, and that is..... looks like you guessed it! but, I'm still gonna tell you..... it is..... Hot Cocoa!!! oh no no... Skinny Hot Cocoa!!
Your ever favorite, hot Cocoa, or hot chocolate..... warm, chocolaty, silky smooth and comforting drink, a skinny way!!
Well, well.... when I stared making Hot Cocoa, I was really bummed with the recipes I was looking at, all those loaded with butter, chocolate, sugar kinda drinks are not my thing, and I can never make something happily for Vishal, or for that matter share with you, which I don't think is good.
So.... this skinny hot cocoa is my take on creamy and indulgent hot drink of centuries....instead of lots of butter, chocolate, and sugar... I like to use raw organic cocoa, a little butter, a little dark chocolate, honey, a secret ingredient, and lots of love! And love makes this Hot Cocoa perfect for Valentine's Day Breakfast!
Actually... any thing cooked with love is perfect for special Valentine!
And my secret ingredient... not so secret actually... is Coffee Extract. If you never tried coffee extract before, I strongly recommend trying it in hot chocolate drinks or chocolate deserts. A little bit of coffee can really bring-out flavor of chocolate, and this what this extract doing here! Making my skinny, low-chocolate, hot cocoa - super addictive and yummy!
I promise, if you live where it's snowing (lucky you, I'm soooo jealous!), then this hot concoction will warm you all way through the core! It is THAT good!! And if you making this for your Valentine! He/she will fall in love with you! again!!! ;)
Alright... you know I'm keeping my posts sweet and short these day.... spent whole yesterday proof-reading my cookbook.... ah... whole day reading recipes....line by line..... Seriously!! I had to get up and eat four times.... four times!! because I was drooling looking at and reading my own recipes.... no kidding, food business can be really overwhelming if you don't keep a check on how much you eat... It is just January, the first month of year.... and I'm losing track of my diet.. no good.... today, double time on stair-climbing, promise!!!
Now, let's talk few variation of this Skinny Hot Cocoa
1. Baileys Irish Cream: If you like a little touch of Irish Cream and can't find Coffee extract, add a shot of this instead. I bet, you will love it!
2. Espresso Shot: This is yet another favorite of my significant half, hot cocoa with an espresso shot, perfect for a coffee addict!
3. Instant Coffee Powder: If I'm out of extract, and making hot cocoa, with espresso, for Vishal, I make mine with a teaspoon of instant coffee powder. I do love coffee, but I'm a medium-roast person!
In other words, don't be shy, change ingredients in your butter-filled cocoa or hot chocolate, make it skinny, then indulge in a cup of Hot Cocoa every day until winters last....
PS: I hope you like my make-shift Valentine-theme Cup Wrappers and little heart confetti :) Super cute, isn't it?
Valentine's Day brunch can be extra special if you also serve one of these!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Skinny Hot Cocoa
- 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder (raw cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Coffee (coffee extract, or use 1 shot espresso)
- 2 Cup Milk (2% skimmed milk)
- 2 tbsp Chocolate Chips (dark, 80% )
- 3-4 Marshmallow (or whipped cream, for serving, optional)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. In a sauce pan, add butter, honey, and cocoa powder.2. Whisk on low heat until everything is mixed and has syrup consistency.
3. Whisking continuously, add 2 cups of skimmed milk, make sure cocoa is fully dissolved in milk. Set stove to simmer, mixture should not boil. Add nutmeg, coffee extract, chocolate chips, salt, then whisk until chips are dissolved in cocoa.4. Remove from heat. Pour in two mugs. Serve hot topped with marshmallows or some whipped cream. Enjoy!
Additional NotesI have used big marshmallows , sliced in half, then used a small cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.