Chocolate Cranberry Madeleine Cakes
Baked with raw Date Sugar, these savory Madeleine Cakes are sweet yet healthy tea-time cakes!
Sharing with you easy Chocolate and Cranberries French Cakes called Madeleines, baked with raw date sugar and raw cocoa for keeping'em sweet yet with a touch of health!
Who does not love Baking for Holidays? I love baking too, but, holiday baking and sugar in food soon starts freaking me out. So, today, to bake these Madeleines, I have used natural, unbleached Date Sugar and natural raw cocoa. With so much of sugar and sugary baked goods around, a little savory, less-sugary chocolate treats were delightful!
To treat myself, I enhanced the flavor of chocolate with some instant coffee, and added some cranberries to complement the rich coffee-chocolate taste. Just so you know, a little bit of coffee in chocolate desserts really elevates the chocolate tastes and makes it more intense (in a good scrumptious way)!
A little hint of sweet, bold flavor of chocolate and coffee, and bursting with tart cranberries, made these Madeleines really yummy chocolate treat for me, without overdoing sugar. If you can't find Date Sugar, you can use brown sugar, sugar in raw or honey. Or if you like sweeter desserts, just use all white sugar in the recipe below.
PS: I did use powdered white sugar for a lite chocolate glaze. You can leave the glaze totally or use store-bought sugar-free glaze if you prefer.
Enjoy these sweet and savory treats with tea or coffee, or make some for your next Community Bake Sale.
Wish you all Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Few of my tea-time favorites:
Chocolate Cranberry Madeleine Cakes
- 1. Madeleines Cakes - Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour two madeleines pan and set aside. In a saucepan, bring butter, water, instant coffee powder, and cocoa powder to a boil and then remove from heat. Whisk to mix cocoa in water-butter mix.
- 2. Meantime, in a bowl, whisk to combine date sugar, salt, baking soda, and flour. Add butter milk, vanilla extract, slightly cooled water-butter mix, and eggs.
3. Use a spatula to combine everything to a smooth batter using gentle strokes.4. Now fold in cranberries and spoon the mixture in mandeleine cups, dividing cranberries equally.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until cake is springy to touch and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer cakes to a cooling rack.6. Chocolate Coating - While cakes are cooling, in a saucepan, melt butter and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let it cool down. Then whisk in powdered sugar.
7. To glaze, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Dust cakes with powdered sugar, then dip each into the chocolate glaze, remove a place gently on parchment lined sheet.8. Once all cakes are glazed, sprinkle some rainbow sugar/sprinkles on the chocolate and let it set in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe requires special equipment - Madeleines Sheet Pan.
Keep an eye on Madeleines in the oven as these tend to get dark at edges very quickly.
For more flavor, use fresh cranberries if possible.
Madeleines taste best when served within 1-2 days of baking, and are perfect for a savory bake sale.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
SavitaRitu, thank you so much!
Savitathanks @I am glad you like it!
RituBeautiful combination dear. It looks scrumptious. :)
ManaliI love madeleine and these look extra cute with chocolate and those sprinkles! Pinned!
SusanI must say, use of date sugar instead of white is really a smart idea. Since I came to know date sugar is considered a paleo ingredient, I am always looking forward to use it in desserts.
Neeli RajLove the combination of coffee and chocolate, savita. I don't have cranberries but I am planning to use raisins and try this recipe.
Savitathanks a lot @Padma. totally one same page with you, anything with coffee is amazing!
padmaVery tempting....I love coffee..so anything with coffee flavour is amazing!!