Honey Tangerine Buffalo Chicken Wings with Yogurt Ranch Dip
Very low-oil, broiled (not-fried) crispy Chicken Wings with Orange Buffalo Hot Sauce and lite Yogurt Ranch Dip.
Sharing with you, Sweet and Spicy, broiled (not fried) Honey Tangerine Buffalo Chicken Wings with Lite and healthy Yogurt Ranch Dip! Perfect plate of appetizer for big game day!!
Even though, this recipe is for Buffalo Chicken Wings, star of the today's post is someone else! I don't have enough words to praise this sweet and tangy, my special favorite, seasonal fruit, Honey Tangerine! Oh my, if you haven't tasted it before, I strongly recommend it! Sweet and juicy, one tangerine yields about 1/2 cup juice, and taste so refreshing and yummy! Though all cousins of orange-family make me drooling.... mayor lemons and tangerines are my sweet-hearts, every season!
I decided to make some Buffalo Hot sauce spiked with sweet tangerines for my game day Chicken Wings platter!
I'm sure you gonna love my twist on your everyday favorite Buffalo Hot Sauce!!
Caution!! Make a double batch of sauce, because you sure will be craving to eat'em soon!!! again!
TIP: Try using leftover sauce to make Buffalo Hot Tofu or Cauliflower Bites. A completely vegan snack for vegetarian guests.
Bake or Fry?
In my home, I never pour oil in fryer for wings! seriously!! Vishal loves Buffalo Hot Wings, and when I make some for him, at home, I always try to keep'em healthy. So no breading, no frying, instead I broil or grill them for crispy texture!
Will Broiled Wings Get Crispy?
Oh yes, they certainly do get crispy! Just spray with oil and since wings are often with skin, fat in skin naturally gets crispy when toasted /roasted in fire. I also include some drumettes with wings to make portion-size little substantial.
Here for you, Crispy Broiled Wings, Just Out of the Oven
Non-Fat Yogurt Ranch Dip
Buttermilk ranch is my favorite condiment whenever I visit a local Burger Eatery, here in San Diego! At home, I even make ranch with yogurt! Specially with a hot and spicy appetizer like Buffalo Wings, this cooling dip really works great! Just make sure to use non-fat yogurt or simply use non-fat buttermilk. Both taste equally good!
Trust me! You will not miss Mayo! Being allergic to raw egg whites, I don't just avoid mayo, I can't eat it even if I like :) So one way it is blessing-in-disguise, forcing me to make fat-free and at-least, mayo-free dips for both of us!
And don't forget to include some healthy veggie dippers with a flavorful creamy dip like this! some celery, carrots, baked chips, apple chips......
Game day classic wings with a slight twist!
I hope you like my sweet twist of hot and spicy Buffalo Wings! Make some! actually, bake some for your next, game day potluck or party! I'm sure your guest will love the twist.
These wings are kids friendly too! You can make two batch of sauce, keep the one for kids with a less spicy Hot Wing Sauce! Or do a little trick, for kids follow the sauce procees given in recipe below, but use tangerine juice, ketchup, 1 tsp vinegar, 1/2 tbsp oil, a little cayenne, and salt. I bet kids will love it! Totally homemade, and it will not be spicy for them!
And before I end the post and forget my gluten intolerant friends...., yes my friends, this appetizer is gluten free. Only make sure to check label of Hot Wing Sauce you using, it should be Gluten Free.
Can't Find Honey Tangerines? In peek season, Honey Tangerines are sweeter than navel orange, kind-a like fresh orange juice mixed with honey. So, If you can't find Honey Tangerines, use orange juice with one tablespoon honey.
Happy Cooking and enjoy the game day!
Make your game day a "hit" with one of these:
Honey Tangerine Buffalo Chicken Wings with Yogurt Ranch Dipreview) (1
IngredientsHoney Tangerine Buffalo Hot Sauce
1. Honey Tangerine Buffalo Hot Sauce - Combine, hot sauce, tangerine (orange) juice in a small sauce pan.2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until sauce thickens, and has reduced by half. Add butter and remove from heat. Stir to melt butter in the sauce (off heat). Taste and adjust salt. Set aside to cool a little.
3. In a wide bowl, add 3 tbsp of sauce, add wings and toss to coat wings with the sauce. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes (at-least). Up-to 2 hours.4. On a sheet pan, place a grilling rack (or an iron cooling rack), coat with oil spray. Place the marinated wings on rack, keeping some spacing in-between. Additional Notes: Using rack instead of placing wings straight on sheet, help make crispy chicken wings. Air will circulate better and wings will not sit in their own juice while broiled.
5. Broil in oven, for 20 minutes, until wings are fully cooked through. For even crispy skin, turn the wings up-side down half-way through the cooking.6. For Yogurt Ranch Sauce, combine Greek yogurt and rest of dip ingredients with 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust salt. (See Note 3) Set aside.
7. Once wings are ready. In bowl, add hot wings and remaining hot sauce. Toss to nicely coat all wings in hot sauce.8. Garnish with parsley/cilantro. Serve hot with dipping sauce and veggie dippers on the side. Enjoy!
- Marinating Wings is Optional : I have suggested to marinate wings in sauce for 30 minutes, but it is optional. Often, when wings are in-demand in my home, I slather wings in sauce and broil immediately. Taste delicious even without long marination!
Wings may take a little less time to cook than drumettes, watch closely after first 10 minutes as these start to get dark quickly. Also, if you using frozen, just thawed wings, they will take a little longer to cook.
- Alternate Cooking Methods: You can also deep fry wings if you prefer. Or Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, then char on grill/gas flame for quick 1-2 minutes each side.
- Always season yogurt based dips just before serving. If making a night before, mix all ingredients except salt at night. In morning, taste and add salt just before serving.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
Zouhair Fiorino BianchiStunning ..
Shibi@FlavzCornerWow, these chicken wings surely caught my attention. They look lip smacking good!!
SavitaThalia,thanks!! Tangerines are one of my favorite fruit in this season! Love their sweetness! And I totally agreed with glute-ness aspect of these wings!
ThaliaAll that sticky sauce is making my mouth water. I just love how you used tangerines especially.. delicious stuff!
SavitaCheri, thank you so much! Indeed, these will be perfect for a game day!
cheriThese are perfect for game day!!!
padmaThey look absolutely stunning and delicious dear....speechless :)
AnupamaAbsolutely gorgeous and YUM!
Renee @ Two in the KitchenI love the look of these chicken wings!! They look so colorful and vibrant! :)
SavitaDannii, thanks! You are so right about honey, hot sauce and wings!! Even though I didn't use honey in this recipe, but honey tangerines are like orange juice mixed with honey! A perfect hot and sweet experience!
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy HappyHoney and hot sauce on wings is just perfect. Not to mention a creamy dip to go with it as well. Ideal game food!
Savitathanks, Nusrath! Do let me know how you like it!
NusrathYummy ....just can't wait to try this
SavitaGayle, thanks! I'm glad you like it! and many thanks for pin!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N SpiceI love the flavor of these wings, Savita! So creative! This sounds like perfect food for the Super Bowl. Pinned!
SavitaGingi, thank you so much! This sauce is really very delicious!
GingiOh man! These look sinfully delicious!!! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com
Savitathanks, Mira! These wings are really a game changer, recipe! I'm sure you will like it! and... high five.. for pin!
miraI'm always excited to try new appetizer recipes! These wings sound and look delicious! Pinning for later!