Yellow Yolk Oreo Cream Cheese Easter Eggs
Posted By Savita
Just in time for Easter, sharing with you made-from-scratch, Oreo, cream cheese, and marzipan Easter Eggs!
I'm always interested to study about festivals and traditions of various cultures. In India, we have a lot of traditional festivals and fasting period throughout the year. In-fact, few days back, I shared with you about Navratri Fasts which are going on right now. After coming to States, I have learned so much about so many other traditions and cultures, festivals and especially their foods :) Food is quintessential part of every tradition or festival, no matter where you go!
Easter is observed in commemoration of crucifixion of lord Jesus and is generally one week long event in most places. This post is not focused on religious aspect, so I will go straight to food prospective. Do you know? Easter Eggs and Easter Bunnies are two most widely popular concepts of Easter! Other than traditional foods, these days you will not a find a single store without a wide variety of Egg and bunny shaped candies, toys and a lot more fun treats for kids!
Every kid would want to play "Easter Egg Hunt" this time of the year! So, to contribute to spirits of Easter and for all awesome cute little kids out there, I have made these Yellow Yolk Oreo Cream Eggs!
These eggs have two of my favorite ingredients. Oreo and Marzipan. I think, Oreo needs no introduction! I'll be hugely surprised if anyone didn't like or know Oreo!! That chocolaty taste with creamy center, specially when dunked in milk! yummy yummy!
Recently, I got introduced to a delicious edible almond candy dough called Marzipan. At first bite, it tasted like Indian Badam Barfi (almond fudge). I can't tell you how much I loved it. I'm a huge fan of Indian Almond Fudge and was amazed to find a similar tasting candy so widely popular in States. Especially during Christmas, this candy is widely consumed. However, Marzipan is available all year round in all stores. You will easily find it in Baking Isle of most stores.
So for this candy, I combined my two favorites: Oreo and Marzipan, to make delicious yellow yolk, edible Easter eggs basket. I have covered the eggs in sprinkles and dark cocoa powder. You can cover these eggs in melted chocolate or white chocolate or colored white chocolate too.
I hope you will enjoy making and eating these creamy fudge-like oreo-egg-shell and almond-candy-yellow-yolk! I have to tell you, I really enjoyed cutting open to reveal the yellow-yolk! so exciting!!! It looked like a delicious Hard Boiled Egg :) Don't you think?
Making these cuties was a fun experience too! Checkout the recipe to learn, why?
Wishing you all Happy Easter in advance! Have a great day!
Here are few more Kids-Friendly treats!
Yellow Yolk Oreo Cream Cheese Easter Eggs
- 198 Grams Marzipan (7 oz)
- 16 Food Color (drops, yellow )
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 30 Oreo Cookies (1 packet)
- 226 Grams Cream Cheese (8 ounce, at room temperature )
- Sprinkles (as per choice)
- Cocoa Powder (as per choice)
Marzipan Egg Yolks
Orea Cream Cheese Eggs
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Mix marzipan with room temperature butter and food color, then knead to get consistent yellow yolk color.
Additional NotesIf marzipan is hard. Microwave for 7 secs at-a-time until dough is pliable!2. Divide dough into small 20 pieces and roll to make 20 egg yolks. Set aside on a sheet lined with parchment or silicon mat.
3. Process Oreo cookies (I removed the cream, but you can add if you like) in food processor until mixture resembles fine crumbs.4. To make dough, transfer cookie crumbs to a bowl, add room temperature cream cheese and mix pressing with fingers, until dough comes together.
5. Divide dough into 20 equal portions.6. Flatten each portion in palm of your hand to an oval egg shape. Place marzipan yolk in the lower-center.
7. Roll cookie dough around yolk to give an oval egg-shape.8. Repeat with all 20 eggs. Roll each egg in cocoa powder, and/or in sprinkles of your choice and keep setting aside on a parchment lined sheet.
Additional NotesYou can use red, blue, orange sprinkles, and can also use shredded coconut!
9. Refrigrate eggs for 30 minutes to set fully. During this time, cream cheese will set the egg shell fully and sprinkles will also set-in. Transfer to an egg basket and serve!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please DO NOT copy content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.