Cucumber, Lime and Basil Sorbet
No Ice Cream Machine Needed!
Posted By Savita
Hello Friends! I hope you all enjoying the weekend! Today, I'm sharing with you a fun, refreshing, vegan sorbet that just demands only 15 minutes of your time! Yes! Trust me! Only grab ingredient, blend, mix, and freeze!! It is that simple! And good news!! it even don't need an ice cream machine..... continue reading to unfold the mystery :)
Spring will be officially here, soon! But.... in San Diego, temperature is already touching 92! Can you believe that?! Feels like we have just jumped Spring and have entered straight into summers!!
To tackle the scorching heat, today, I blended some cucumbers, lime and basil for a cold refreshment. I'm not so much into desserts, so thought to share this, my style of sweet-refreshment, with you all! Plus color of this sorbet felt so apt for St. Patrick's day, that it just fueled my thought of posting this recipe, no matter what!
So... here I'm, sharing the Cucumber Lime Sorbet :) Due to high temperature all day, it was very hard to keep sorbet out for pictures. Everything was melting so quickly! So, I have taken a pretty random and rough shots. However, I can tell you, the taste of this sorbet is very refreshing and delicious! Almost like a chilled glass of limeade, served with muddled cucumber and fresh basil, over the ice, on a hot summer day!! refreshing!
I don't own an ice cream machine. So, this sorbet, and all of my frozen desserts, especially ice creams, frozen yogurts, and sorbets are made with old classic freezing techniques :) Part-freezing and blending to break ice crystals.... and Voila! every time perfect texture!
Now, let's talk diet!
Desserts, that too frozen, and diet!! Are you out of your mind, Savita?! I know what you mean! but , trust me, for this dessert we can actually talk about diet. :) It does have sugar, but no corn syrups or artificial sweeteners, at least! Plus you can replace sugar with agave if you prefer.
Also, it is an all-veggie dessert. Totally VEGAN! no milk, cream or butter! This dessert is also giving you at-least one serving of fresh veggie. How good does that sound? plus it is egg free and gluten free too! I promise, kids will be so lost in it's color and taste that no one will even dream it has veggie in it :)
I suggest you make it today!! Or if it is still cold in your area, bookmark this recipe and make it first thing when sun starts shining bright!
I hope you enjoy your weekend.
Have a great day!
Cucumber, Lime and Basil Sorbet
- 5-6 Basil (leaves)
- 1/4 Cup Lime (juice, and 1/2 teaspoon zest)
- 2 Cucumber (peeled, quatered)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 drop Food Color (green, optional)
- Maraschino Cherry
- Basil (fresh leaves)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Boil half cup water with sugar until sugar has melted and set aside.
2. Blend cucumber in food processor or smoothie blender with basil, lime juice and zest to a fine puree with remaining half cup of water.
3. Once sugar and water mix has cooled. Mix it in cucumber mixture with one drop of green color (if using).4. Leave mix in freezer to cool for 20 minutes or until semi-frozen. After 25 minutes, pour in blender and blend until ice crystal are very fine. Refreeze until ready to use. For finer sorbet consistency, repeat blending one more after 25 minutes and then freeze fully.
Additional NotesIf using Ice Cream Machine, pour mix in jar and churn per manufacturer instruction until nice and think. Then freeze until ready to use.
5. Take out of freezer 5 minutes before serving. Scoop into serving cups, garnish with basil and cherries, and serve immediately.
Sorbets melt pretty quickly. Keep serving cups in refrigerator until ready to serve to the guests!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.