Sweet and Spicy Mango Harissa Chicken Wings
with cooling Mango-Buttermilk Dipping Sauce
Posted By Savita
Sharing today, one of my favorite way to eat chicken wings: Sweet and Spicy! These lip-smacking wings are broiled not fried, and slathered in sweet mango and spicy garlicky Harissa Sauce! A mouth-watering and messy appetizer for heat seekers and chicken-wings lovers!
I think, all my Chicken Wings BBQ or Hot Sauce recipes, I shared so far, have a sweet and spicy element. To name a few - Honey Sriracha Wings, Honey Tangerine Buffalo Sauce Wings are my special sweet and spicy favorites!
Wings are one most-wanted appetizer of everyone in my friends and family! And I'm always looking for inspirations to cook a different flavor of wings! These days I have found one more delicious way to spice chicken wings.... with a new spicy condiment - Harissa!! For a change, I decided to use mango puree to tame down the spiciness of Harissa and I would say, the combination of two was one of the best ever!
I don't think, now, I will ever have leftover Mango Puree in my refrigerator ever!!
No-kidding, not just Chicken wings, I even found it delicious with a pot-stickers, bbq chicken, quesadilla, and even in grilled cheese sandwich... possibilities are endless...
Mango Harissa Hot Sauce stays good in refrigerator for up-to one week.
Also, chicken wings are broiled in oven, so active time to perch on stove is almost nothing and no-deep-frying also comes with promise of very-less-oil-calories!
TIP: You can also deep fry wings if you prefer or get outdoors and grill wings on a gas/charcoal grill until done and crispy per your liking.
Like Chicken Wings? Here some more lip-smacking Chicken Wings Recipes!
Sweet and Spicy Mango Harissa Chicken Wings
- Mango Harissa Hot Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Mango (puree, or use mango nector)
- 1/4 Cup Harissa Chili Paste (Or use a spicy mild-hot chili paste)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt (as per taste)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (or use canola oil)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Broiled Chicken Wings
- 12 Chicken (wings, I used wings and drumettes)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Harissa Chili Paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- Salt (as per taste, I added 1/4 teaspoon)
- Garnish or Sides
- 2 tbsp Parsley (fresh chopped)
- Mix Vegetables (celery and carrot sticks, for serving, optional)
- Mango-Buttermilk Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Butter Milk
- 1/4 Cup Mango (puree, or use nector)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
1. Mango Harissa Sauce - Combine, all Mango-Harissa Hot Sauce ingredients (except salt and butter) cook on medium heat for 15 minutes until oil separates and sauce is think and rich red colored. Add butter and remove from heat.(30-40 secs) Stir to melt butter in the sauce (off heat). Taste and adjust salt. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven at 500 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small bowl, add seasonings - salt, harrissa, lemon juice, and oil. Whisk to combine. Add chicken wings and coat in marinade. On a sheet pan, place a grilling rack (or a cookie cooling rack), coat with oil spray. Place the wings on rack, keeping some spacing in-between. Switch oven to broil, then broil wings for 20 minutes, until wings are fully cooked through. For even crispy skin, I like to turn the wings, up-side down, half-way through the cooking.Additional Notes: Using rack instead of placing wings straight on sheet, help make crispy chicken wings. Air will circulate better and wings will not sit in their own juice while broiled.
3. When wings are cooked, in a wide bowl, add 1/2 of the sauce, add cooked crispy wings and coat wings in sauce with tongs or spatula.4. For Mango-Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, combine the ingredients, taste and adjust salt. Transfer sauce coated wings in a serving platter, drizzle remaining mango-harissa hot sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve Mango-Buttermilk Dipping Sauce on the side for dipping! Serve and enjoy!
Savita's Recipe Notes:
Wings may take a little less time to cook than drumettes, watch closely after first 10 minutes as these start to get dark quickly.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe