Spicy Southwest Chipotle Albacore Tuna Burgers
Posted By Savita
This fabulous dinner you can make under 25 minutes!! My Chipotle Albacore Tuna Burgers are juicy, spicy, flavorful, and very delicious! And so easy to prepare, that sometimes, these burgers are on my weekday menu, twice!
Just like you, there are evenings when I don't want to see kitchen... Specially, when I'm tired or not exactly sure what am I cooking for dinner! Oh yes! Even though I blog about food, there are times when I have no concrete plans for dinner. This mostly happens when I'm about done with fresh ingredients in refrigerator and have only one or two items left.
Even though, I'm scratching my head for ideas...... I'm not in mood of take-out either! So, I head to kitchen and look for something which will inspire me.... to be that exciting cook again :)
When I made these burgers first time, I had: Chipotle in Adobo, some salad greens, bell peppers, and fresh home baked Ciabatta Rolls!
Chipotle in Adobo!!!! I'm crazy for it! That alone ONE ingredient can inspire to make a three course meal! Plus fresh baked Ciabatta rolls acted like fuel-in-fire!
In no time, I was ready to make some spicy (chipotle) burgers (Ciabatta rolls)!
Out-of-fresh-produce means we are almost out-of-fresh-meat, as well! This took me to my pantry looking for Vishal's favorite, White Albacore Tune. He says, he had a lot Albacore Tuna when he started his career and was working in UK.
So, next moment I was making, Spicy Southwest Chipotle Albacore Tuna Burgers!
Every ingredient just felt like made for the albacore tuna. Smoky chipotle, oregano, lime juice, bell peppers really made canned tuna star of these burgers. I have not used or eaten a lot of canned tuna in my life, but these easy tuna burgers were a 'reward dinner' for that lazy weeknight!! (and it is no paid advertisement)
In-fact, Vishal liked these tuna burgers so much that I have made so many times since then...
The easy southwest spice-mix is so flavor packed, I can definitely imagine, even cooking chicken burgers, using same flavorings!
PS: If you don't like canned tuna, you can also use fresh tuna for these burgers. Just poach or steam the tuna fish before using in the recipe.
Tuna patties cook very quickly, just 3 minutes each side and need very less oil. I often use a non-stick cooking pan and less oil to cut on the amount of oil. If serving later, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Once patties are ready, I usually layer two small patties per burger, top with fresh crunchy greens, sliced jalapenos, and some mild salsa! Perfection!
Just sit with glass of your favorite wine, tuna burgers and enjoy an easy dinner!
Friends, THIS dinner, fly from kitchen to dinner table, under 25 minutes!!
I have a feeling Spicy Southwest Chipotle Albacore Tuna Burgers is going to be a new favorite for you as well. Try it once, chance are it will make a fix place in your menu.
Here are a few lite salads to pair with burgers:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Spicy Southwest Chipotle Albacore Tuna Burgers
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo (minced, use half if don't like spicy.)
- 12 ounce Tuna (Solid white Albacore Tuna, water packed, drained)
- 1 Egg(s) (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 Cup Tortilla Chips (crushed)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (roasted, seeds and skin removed)
- 1 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 3 tbsp Cilantro (fresh chopped leaves)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Salt and Black Pepper (1/4 tsp each)
- Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
- 4 Ciabatta Bread Rolls (or burger buns)
- Baby Romaine (few handfuls)
- Salsa (mild salsa)
- Jalapeno (fresh, for garnish, optional)
- Lime (1 lime, cut in wedges, optional)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Add tortilla chips to a plastic bad and crush using roller pin to small pieces. About size of rice crispy. Set aside.2. In a wide bowl, add chopped red bell pepper, cilantro, minced chipotle, spices, lime juice, salt and black pepper.
3. Add tuna, slightly beaten egg, and crushed tortillas to the bowl and mix everything together.4. Heat few tbsp oil in pan. So that oil will be half-way through the patties. While oil is heating, divide mixture to four equal portions and make patties, firmly pressing the ingredients together. Cook 2 patties at time, for 3 minute each side, or until are crispy and brown.
Additional NotesDon't flip tuna patties too many times. Let'em cook for 3 minutes, each side, before flipping.
5. Assemble - Slice Ciabatta rolls in half, brush with some oil and put on grill or skillet until toasted (optional). Layer tuna patties, salsa, fresh greens, sliced jalapeno on bottom half. Serve open face or put top half of ciabatta and serve. Serve chips and salsa on side. Enjoy!
For better results, you can refrigerate patties for 30 minutes to make'em hold together better.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.