Savory Chickpea Flour Waffles
Savory, Health and Delicious
Posted By Savita
Savory chickpeas flour and scallion breakfast waffles, topped with a fried egg which creates a silky delicious sauce when mixed into sweet and spiced-up tomato ketchup.
This, my friends, is a savory waffle breakfast which I would not mind to enjoy for dinner as well!
We all like breakfast for dinner, don't we? Or am I the only crazy foodie here ;)
Breakfast being most important meal of the day.... we often try to start day with a good savory breakfast. Savory breakfast has this misconception of being heavy, full of fat, laden with sausage, cheese and lots of these stuff.... Well, I'm not against any of these... but savory breakfasts can be healthier yet filling and nutritious to carry on the day full and focused.
These chickpea breakfast waffles are my way of enjoying a savory breakfast without the overdose of calories yet filling and scrumptious taste. These waffles are also low in sugar (as there is no added sugar), low in fat, have a serving of whole grain chickpea flour, and hearty texture which will keep you full for a long time. Yes, I'm talking about no mid-day snack cravings.
One this is certain, if you visit my house, you will be enjoying a savory breakfast for sure. When it comes to breakfast, we are like Savory Food Fanatics! Rarely, I mean seriously, rarely does I make an all-sweet breakfast.
Sometimes I think, I can write a whole full-fledge blog just of my adventurous savory breakfast regime.... The only glitch is - there is no enough time to manage one blog, who will take care of two!! ;) Seriously, don't even get me started on this one.... Blog is fulltime business and takes a lot other things than clicking pretty pictures and sharing yummy stories. :) Which of course I enjoy the MOST out of everything else. I wish..... I had a robot who can take care of rest and I just get to make recipes and click delicious pictures... :) So do I wish....
You will be surprised to learn that chickpeas are also one of a widely consumed grain in Indian Cuisine. If I start counting, there will be long list of just authentic recipes which made with chickpeas and are part of everyday Indian Cuisine.
The flavors of these waffles are inspired from two of my earlier Chickpea Breakfast recipes. Chickpea Pancakes and Chickpea Goat Cheese Muffins. If you like this one, do check the other two. I'm sure you going to love'em.
These waffles are not heavily spiced and just have flavors of fresh herbs and scallions. Almost like a Chinese Scallion Bread. The only spicy component in the recipe is sweet and hot ketchup.. Just spend 1 minute on everyday sweet ketchup to make it sweet and spicy delicious! I'm sure you going to enjoy it.
Chickpeas is star of the recipe and it's nutty texture is worth a try. However, if you can't find chickpeas flour or don't want to use chickpeas them simple use all purpose flour (AP) or a part wheat and part AP flour... Waffles will still come out fluffy and taste good.
This is my personal mission to introduce you with savory ways to enjoy otherwise sweet breakfasts. No no, that does not mean I will not share sweet or authentic breakfasts with you.... But my savory side is little dominant ;)
Okay, before we head to the recipe, let me sum up what makes Chickpea Waffles So Special?
1. To cut some sugar calories and enjoy a savory breakfast.
2. Heathier and wholesome breakfast with whole grain carbs from chickpeas , and egg protein,
3. Add a side salad and these waffle can be your lunch or dinner.
4. All it needs is basic pantry ingredients and some chickpea flour to pull these waffles under 25 minutes.
5. Freeze a batch of waffles to eat’em on a extra-busy Monday morning. Just pop into toaster oven and waffles will be ready to eat as-is or make an egg sandwich.
6. Plus it is very easy to make Chickpea Waffles.
I usually start by making spicy ketchup and set it aside. The chickpea waffle batter is very easy to put together. Often a hand whisk and a bowl is all I need for mixing. If you can spare your blender from smoothies, then go ahead and throw all ingredients and pulse until a fluffy batter is ready.
I have mini waffle iron which makes two small waffles at a time. If you own a big one, you need just 4 minutes for two hearty servings. Recipe doubles easily if you plan to serv a bigger group.
By the time waffles cook, I fry few eggs for sandwich....
Oh, and you can make'em dairy free too. Use some soy milk or coconut milk instead of regular milk.
Friends, I was wondering do you have a savory breakfast favorite? I would love to hear some more ideas! -Savita
How about these delicious savory breakfast?
Savory Chickpea Flour Waffles
- 1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour (use fine ground flour only, not coarse flour)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (more for seasoning eggs)
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour (or use Whole wheat flour or all chickpea flour)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1-2 tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp Green Onion (1 scallion, green and whites chopped)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg(s) (pan fried, optional)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (or cayenne powder)
Savory Chickpea Waffles
Spicy Tomato Ketchup
1. Mix all ketchup ingredients and set aside.
2. In a bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and chickpea flour (garbanzo flour), baking powder and salt. Add chopped scallions, cilantro and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together milk and egg until blended and frothy. Add melted butter and stir to combine. Pour this milk and butter mixture in the flour and mix in with rubber spatula until no sign of flour remains. Set aside.
Additional NotesJust use 15-18 strokes to combine ingredients. Mixture will be lumpy.
3. Heat the waffle iron, pour 1/3 cup of batter in each cavity (depending upon waffle iron size), close lid and cook until indicator turns green and seam stop escaping from sides.
4. Remove the cooked waffles and repeat until all waffles are cooked. While waffles are cooking, heat a pan at medium heat, add eggs and let them cook while waffles get ready.
5. Top each plate with two waffles, one fried egg. Season egg with salt and pepper. Drizzle some spicy tomato ketchup, serve and enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.