Turkey Tetrazzini with Mushrooms
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GiveThanksBeFull #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Today, I'm giving you a delicious family-style turkey casserole recipe, made with Thanksgiving leftovers!
Turkey Tetrazzini is a baked turkey and pasta casserole which is great for dinner over weekend after thanksgiving. With only 10 minutes prep, this casserole comes together very fast and makes homey and flavorful meal.
In my home, be it Diwali, thanksgiving or a special occasion.. I always have some extra supplies so that I never run short of food. This also saves us from some last minute trips to grocery stores. (life saver!)
After holiday's food and festivities comes the leftovers! Even when we are visiting friends, we end up coming home with leftovers - turkey, stuffing, pies and a lot more. So, every year this time, I'm making leftovers "stars" of my everyday meals such as this Turkey Casserole.
Even though this Turkey Tetrazzini casserole recipe uses leftover turkey.. I added a lots of flavor in it to make it not-boring and not mere repetition of Thanksgiving-on-the-plate. Here is what I did to lighten-up and develop flavors in this comforting dish:
1) I added a serving of fresh mushrooms and green beans with fresh herbs - thyme and parsley.
2) Instead of making a traditional creamy base of flour, butter and heavy cream... I used a can of Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup with milk. Soup also enhanced the overall mushroom flavor in casserole.
3) To cut the richness, I added some sun-dried tomatoes and lemon zest.
4) Last but not least.. seasoned bread crumbs topping (made with olive oil instead of butter) gave tetrazzini a scrumptious yet lite and crunchy crust.
Sauteing the mushroom and aromatics, and herbs with sun-dried tomatoes makes a flavor base for turkey tetrazzini. After aromatics and veggies are soft, I add a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk and Swanson® Chicken broth in same pot and cook until it gets thick and creamy like béchamel sauce.
I highly recommend using the Mushroom Soup and Chicken broth for this recipe. Cream of Mushroom Soup is the flavor base for turkey casserole... also giving it traditional-like creamy mushroom sauce base. Chicken broth adds an another layer of flavor giving new life to Thanksgiving leftovers.
Oh, and if you making Turkey stuffing?! I'm sure you are!! Then go buy some Swanson® Chicken broth and save some to make Turkey Tetrazzini next weekend! You can also get discount on both products by visiting the links above.
Now, don't worry if don't have turkey leftovers or if you want to enjoy this recipe before Thanksgiving.. ;-) Simply use cooked shredded chicken or any protein of your choice. If you follow the rest of the recipe, any protein will taste great in Tetrazzini. Easy! right?
I'm so excited for the coming holidays, long weekend and fun times to spend with friends and family. I hope and wish these holidays bring lots of joy to you. Eat responsibly and save leftovers to make a lots of meals in remembrance of holidays..
PS: Remember? I told you, I'm making Sweet Potato Casserole for a Thanksgiving Potluck! It went great and everyone loved my casserole. No leftovers :)
Turkey Tetrazzini with Mushrooms
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- 3 Cup Turkey (cooked, leftover or fresh cooked turkey, shredded)
- 1 Cup Green Beans (drained, such as Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans)
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (Italian or panko, seasoned)
- 1/4 Cup Parsley (small bunch, fresh chopped)
- 1 lbs Pasta (spaghetti or linguine )
- Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 225 Grams Mushrooms (white button mushroom, sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (medium yellow onion, small diced)
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried, or 5-6 fresh thyme sprigs)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock (such as Swanson® Chicken broth)
- 256 Grams Mushroom Soup (1 can of Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp Sun-dried Tomatoes (minced, or 2-3 tbsp capers)
- 3 Garlic (cloves, chopped)
- 1 tsp Lemon (zest, zest of one lemon)
1. Preheat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Cook until it still has bite since it will be cooked again when tetrazzini is baked.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep saute pan. Add mushrooms and cook until water evaporates (2-3 minutes). Add diced onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme with pinch of black pepper and salt. Cook until onions are soft. (2-3 minutes)
3. Add cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup chicken stock and 1/2 cup milk.4. Bring to boil. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust salt.
5. Add in shredded leftover turkey, drained green beans, cooked and drained spaghetti noodles. Add in lemon zest, chopped parsley. Toss gently to combine.6. To bake Turkey Tetrazzini, spray a 2 quart baking dish/casserole with cooking oil or coat with butter. Pour all ingredients. Mix breadcrumbs with remaining olive oil, and spread over evenly. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until it is bubbly and breadcrumbs are brown and crispy.
7. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe