Coconut Cashew Curry Chicken and Rice with Mango
This post is sponsored by Success Rice and Sheknows Media. All views expressed are my own.
Posted By Savita
Mild spicy coconut chicken curry and aromatic rice with sweet mangoes, and toasted cashews for crunch in every bite. This, my friends, is a 20-minute weekday chicken and rice dinner, which is always on our dinner-menu in summers.
Whether it is a busy weekday or even a relaxed Saturday evening, a comforting and fast dinner like this one is a favorite of everyone at my dinner table. Where my family enjoys a flavorful chicken dinner with sweet mango, crunchy cashews and aromatic rice, I love the fact that it comes together super-fast and has two serving of veggies, lots of protein and a wholesome serving of rice.
The sweetness of mango balances the spicy of curry... and also gives this very Indian Chicken and Rice dinner a tropical mango-coconut flavor. Honestly, in tropical region of India, mango and coconut chicken sells like hot cakes. I added a twist to a classic and used ripe (yet firm) mangoes instead of often-used raw mango.
- 1.5 Cup Rice (2 bags of Success® Jasmine Rice)
- 1 lbs Chicken
- 1 Cup Mango (2 fresh, ripe but firm Mangoes, peeled and sliced bite-size.)
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 inch Ginger (grated)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Curry Powder (madras curry powder or use quick recipe below)
- 4-5 tbsp Cilantro (fresh coriander leaves, chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Cashew (toasted, crushed)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (or any good quality cooking oil)
- 1/2 Red Onion (thin sliced)
- 1 Cup Green Peas (I used frozen, optional )
Mango Curry Chicken Rice
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. While rice cooking, heat oil in a wide heavy bottom pan. Add sliced onion and saute until soft. Add cubed chicken, spices, half of salt, and cook until chicken is brown from all side. (3-4 minutes).
- 3. After 2-3 minutes, add ginger, garlic,continue cooking until chicken is brown from all sides and spices release nice aroma.
- 4. Add coconut milk, and salt. Bring to boil and then cook on medium heat until chicken is fully cooked and water is almost absorbed (about 1/3 cup liquid remaining). (about 5 minutes)
- 5. Meanwhile rice will be ready. Drain cooked rice. and add on top of chicken with green peas (if using). Don't mix the rice yet. Cover the pot, let chicken cook for 1 more minute, then switch off leave covered for 2-3 minutes.
- 6. Open the pot, fold gently to mix half of rice and green peas (if using) into the curry chicken. Mix in diced mango, chopped cilantro, and chopped cashews. Serve family-style in the pot.
What is your favorite chicken and rice recipe? Share it with me in the comments and you will be entered to win a $100 Visa gift card!**Giveaway has closed.**