Skillet Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Orange-Soy Glaze
Savory Skillet Roasted Brussels Sprouts with seasonal favorite citrus - oranges and sweet soy glaze.
Last week I saw purple brussel sprouts in store.. and my Roasted Brussel Sprout cravings hit the chart.
In one line, I can describe this recipe - marriage of my two winter favorites - Brussel Sprouts and Oranges. Earthy charred skillet roasted (sharing complete guide on pan-roasting brussel sprouts) sprouts with citrus-sweet orange and soy glaze. This refreshing savory twist on classic will make you crave brussel sprouts. You will love the flavors!
Brussel Sprouts are not just for harvest season. These grow in plenty whole winter, September to March. Rather Brussel sprouts are considered sweeter after a frost or two.
In my home, as soon as we see fresh crop in store... It's time to eat brussel sprouts. This motivation contunues while sI see'em around. Hence, I'm always looking new ways to try these little cabbages. Last week was coincidence(times 2) when I saw plum purple brussel sprouts in grocery store and that night we happen to eat at PF Chang. On menu was my favorite brussels sprout dish - Wok Charred Pineapple Brussels Sprout. I always order it when we eat at PFC.
Since we moved. There are so many Asian eateries near-by that PFC was both, out-of-site and out-of-mind. After ordering, I recalled my earlier plans of re-creating their recipe for you.. So, here you go guy!
I certainly owe this recipe idea to PFC. My take is Asian yet very different from their's pineapple version. I used citrus and soy glaze. I'm sure you gonna love it.
Moral of story?
Guys, it's just Feb. Brussel sprouts are still in grocery stores. Garb some this trip and try this easy recipe. I bet you have some oranges in kitchen already. This delicious side does not need a whole lot of ingredients.
It is savory skillet-roasted version of brussels sprouts with seasonal favorite citrus - oranges. In season oranges are sweet and so juicy. They give delicious savory citrus bite to pan-roasted Brussel sprouts.
Plus Vishal and I both love the flavor of oven roasted brussel sprouts. My curry Roasted Brussel Sprouts have been regular in our winter menu since I invented the recipe. This recipe has similar savory notes and little heat but no heavy spices.
Also, with this recipe I'm sharing method to roasted brussel sprouts in pan on stove top. I wanted cook the sprouts and then glaze with orange, and soy. So pan method made more sense than first oven roasting then finishing in pan. This is was my approach. If you prefer to oven roast and then finish glazing in pan. Go ahead. It is completely doable.
If you chose to roast brussel sprouts in skillet. Here is how I make sure brussel sprouts are perfectly cooked with that roasted charred flavor.
To cook in skillet:
1) Use heavy-bottom cast iron skillet. This heats evenly and retain heat longer. I usually call my cast-iron skillet - a mini-oven. It is perfect for heavy-duty jobs such as roasted brussel sprouts.
2) Use high smoke-point oil. This worked out best because I wanted to give these brussel sprouts some sesame flavor. SO, i used combination of olive and sesame for flavor this recipe. You don't need a lot. About 1.5 tbsp is enough to roast about a pound halved brussel sprouts.
3) Cook in single layer and leave alone. Brussel sprouts are such veggie which like it's time in the pan. It does not need to much stir or movement. Once skillet is hot and oil is smoking. Lower the heat. Spread sprouts in single layer and walk away. Don't peek for next 3-4 minutes. Let skillet and brussel sprout do it's magic and caramelize the cut side. Then flip and walk away again. Couple more minutes and that's it. This simple step will give you perfectly charred roasted skillet brussel sprouts ever.
4) Cook through: Brussel sprouts are nicely charred does not mean these are cooked through. To make sure cooking all the way, after caramelizing, let'em cook on low heat covered for few minutes. This makes sure brussel sprouts are cooked all way through.
I hope above tips will help you serve Brussel sprouts on side even when cooking in oven is not an option.
Let me summarize this recipe for you:
1) Completely cooked in skillet.
2) Perfectly caramelized roasted sprouts without roasting in oven.
3) Sweet and savory brussel srpout recipe just like from our favorite PF Chang.
4) A new way to eat brussel sprouts with seasonal citrus and soy glaze.
Note: There is very less heat in this recipe. It is only from fresno chili. If you prefer less heat, skip the chilies.
Love Brussel Sprouts? Try these recipes:
You will not find sprouts for long. So go get some and try this recipe. I'm certain you will enjoy this new way of eating bruseel sprouts.
Serve on the side of:
Skillet Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Orange-Soy Glazereviews) (5
- 1. Heat both oil in cast iron skillet until smoking.Lower the heat, add brussel sprouts cut side down in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Let cook until slightly charred, turn and cook other side until slightly charred. Additional Notes: Before juicing/slicing oranges, scrap some peel with orange peeler. Or zest half orange for garnish in step 4.
- 2. Add orange juice, vinegar with 2 pinch more salt. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- 3. Remove lid. Switch heat back to high. Add sliced fresno chili (or jalapeno if using), orange marmalade with soy sauce. Cook until soy sauce is absorbed and brussel sprouts have picked up color. Add in fresh orange segments and let heat through for about 30 seconds. Additional Notes: If you not looking for dark color on bussel sprouts. Skip soy sauce and add generous pinch of salt.
- 4. Take off heat. Taste and adjust salt and black pepper. Garnish with orange peel and fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
For vegan, make sure the orange jam/marmalade used is vegan.
*If can't find orange jam/marmalade, use mix of honey (not vegan) or agave with 2 tbsp more orange juice. Mango or apple chutney also works great substitutes.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.