Mexican Tortellini Salad
Posted By Savita
Lite and zesty take on Tortellini Salad with mango, avocado, lime dressing and spicy taco shrimp. Spicy lime mango and avocado compliment rich cheese Tortellini so well.. I call this a Mexican Tortellini Salad. Forget creamy salads, I guarantee, this will become your new favorite way to Tortellini Salad. Every forkful here has something delicious - cheesy tortellini, sweet mango, creamy avocado, spicy shrimp and zippy dressing to balance and bring everything together. AmaZing!
This vibrant salad has everything for a filling weeknight dinner salad or weekend BBQ salad.
Start of Spring and I'm all ready to eat lot more salads. Salads make more than 50% of our spring-summer menu. This is the reason salads show up on CDH often.
So, here I'm. Starting April with a flavorful-packed Tortellini Salad. Let's dig in!
How to serve Tortellini Salad for Potluck:
This Tortellini Salad is best when served at room temperature. When serving later, I mix in half of the dressing when making the salad and keep the other half to mix when serving. This refreshes the salad and balances the seasoning because pasta based salad can drink on dressing when setting for long. When I make Tortellini Salad with spicy shrimp I pack the salad with Ice Pack to keep shrimp fresh.
If you looking for more Potluck Salads, try one of following:
What Kind of Tortellini to Use for Tortellini Salad
Cheese Tortellini works great for Tortellini Salad when making a creamy Tortellini Salad or lite Tortellini Salad such as this one. If you like less cheese in overall meal, go for mini tortellini or buy spinach or veggie-filled tortellini. My personal favorites are squash or sweet potato tortellini which are 1) lite than cheese filled ones 2) go great with a lite dressed healthier salads.
One Salad - Many Ways to Eat:
This salad is one perfect make-your-own salad with lots of room to add or subtract any thing you like. I like to:
1) Vegetarian Tortellini Salad: Simply skip the shrimp or add tofu sauted in same spices I listed for shrimp and you have a perfect Vegetarian salad.
2) Vegan Tortellini Salad: Go a step further, use veggie-filled vegan Tortellini sold in specialty isle of most stores. Skip shrimp or replace with tofu and you have a vegan salad.
3) Chicken Tortellini Salad: If you are okay with meat, replace shrimp with grilled chicken for Chicken Salad.
You can also use grilled peaches instead of mango in this salad. Either case, please make sure to use ripe stone fruit. Ripe sweet mangoes or sweet peaches only. Ripe mangoes brings the best flavor in this salad and it should not be missed.
Friends, April is official Spring month. I'm ready to bring lot more zesty, fresh and bright recipes your way.
Remember, every season I also continue my Detox Salad series. These salads are carb-free and build with my hours of research to help you detoxify naturally and yet eat scrumptious. All these salads have rave reviews on blog and I highly recommend adding these to your diet regime. Cauliflower Broccoli Detox Salad, Celery Detox Salad, Lentil Avocado Summer Glow Salad, Carrot Broccoli Detox Salad, and Quinoa Power Detox Salad.
I hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.
Now, I sign-off and hope to see your around soon. -Savita
Mexican Tortellini Salad
- 2 Mango (diced)
- 1 Avocado (diced)
- 1 Cucumber (hot-house, diced)
- 4 tbsp Fresh Herbs (such as cilantro or parsley, and basil)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp Lime (juice, 1/2 tsp zest)
- 1 Jalapeno (or fresno chili, seeds removed, minced (optional))
- 1 Garlic (grated)
- 1/2 packet lbs Tortellini (I used three-cheese tortellini)
- 15-20 Shrimp (cleaned)
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
1. Heat half of oil in a skillet. Add shrimp in single layer, sprinkle half of seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes. Turn, add remaining seasoning, continue coking (2-3 minutes) until shrimp is pink-orange all over. (don't overcook the shrimp) Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Cook Tortellini as per package direction. I usually bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Season with salt. Add Tortellini and cook for 3 minutes or until it is just al-dente. Rinse with room temp filtered water and set aside.
3. In a bowl, add minced garlic, followed by lime juice, zest, olive oil, oregano, fresh chopped herbs, salt and black pepper. Whisk well to combine.
4. Add avocado, toss in dressing. Add mango, cucumber, cooked and cooled Tortellini. Gently mix everything. Taste and adjust salt, lemon juice.
5. Top with cooked (now cool) shrimp. More fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy. Best served cold or at room temperature.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.