Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Yummy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan recipe. Crispy breaded panko and parmesan chicken breast cooks moist and delicious in Air Fryer with marinara and mozzarella. Healthier, easy and delicious!
Learn to make delicious Chicken Parmesan in Air Fryer with this easy recipe. Chicken breast cutlets coated in flavorful panko and Parmesan Reggiano breading, then air fried to crispy golden Chicken Parm. Just like served in Italian restaurants.
Also, sharing two simple ways to keep breading lite and delicious. Try this recipe and Air Fried Chicken Parm will become your favorite homemade Italian dinner. Serve with zoodles for low-carb, or pasta for regular.
Don't forget to check the substitutes to make recipe fit your diet preference such as make Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan (lite or no breading).
Let's make Chicken Parmesan today!
Oh, this recipe is also perfect for single serving/cook for one or many.
Chicken Parmesan in Air Fryer
Chicken Parmesan needs no introduction. If you like pasta and Italian cooking, this is probably the most ordered recipe in every Italian restaurant. I have had my good share of Chicken Parmesan and Eggplant Parmesan in local Italian restaurants and of course in Cheesecake Factory.
When Chicken Parmesan cooks in Air Fryer, aroma is exactly like sitting in restaurant with hot plate of chicken parm and pasta. You will love how this recipe makes it very simple, easier and also healthier way to cook Chicken Parmesan in air fryer.
To achieve that, I do two things:
- I Air Fry panko breaded Chicken Cutlets in single layer until golden crisp from both sides. Then top with dollop of marinara sauce and few tbsp cheese per chicken breast. This single-serve style parmesan chicken is easy to make, easy to assemble and uses less mozzarella cheese. You are welcome to use more marinara sauce if you prefer.
- Use no flour dredge. This saves one step of cooking. Recipe works without flour dredge which is must when deep frying parmesan chicken. You are welcome to use flour but I find it absolutely optional and still perfect results.
What Do You Need to Chicken Parmesan in Air Fryer?
Here are the ingredients to make air fried chicken parmesan:
- Chicken Breast halves (detailed ahead)
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Egg for egg wash
- Seasonings - Oregano, Basil, Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Reggiano
- Mozzarella and Marinara Sauce
- Oil Spray
To make Chicken Parmesan, I start by pounding the chicken breast halves to even, about 1/4 inch, thickness. If you have never done this before? Ask you local butcher to cut chicken breast in halves. At home, place halved chicken breast under two pieces of parchment paper. Pound gently with motion moving away from center to get evenly thick chicken breast pieces.
Note: Don't pound too much as it will mince the chicken. Go slow. Check once or twice and then continue.
Breading - Once chicken is evenly thick, dipped in egg wash. Next, pick one piece at a time, fold in panko-parmesan mix pressing often until crumbs stick to chicken making an even coating.
When ready to cook Chicken Parmesan, preheat air fryer and place breaded Chicken on air fryer rack in single layer. My large air fryer holds 3-4 chicken breast breaded cutlets in single layer. One batch is ready to serve in 12 minutes (+ 3 minutes preheat) at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Smaller fryer will need two rounds.
To make perfectly cooked delicious Chicken Parmesan in Air Fryer every time, I make sure of few things I learned with experience:
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Cook in single layer and flip at half time to make golden crispy breaded air fried chicken parmesan.
- Keep an eye in last 1-2 minutes. As fryer size and model varies. Keep an eye in last 1-2 minutes. Also always preheat fryer before adding the breaded cutlets.
- Use Cooking Oil Spray. I prefer to lite spray coat chicken breast on both sides for crispy golden air fried chicken parm cutlets. Chicken will air fry fine without spay but may not get golden brown. Only use oil spay or drizzle 1/2 tsp oil on top. Don't use brush to apply oil.
Tip: Always use a good quality marinara to serve with Chicken Parmesan. I prefer marinara with little heat such as Rao's Arabiaata Sauce.
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan?
Lightly seasoned (olive oi, garlic, parmesan) angel-hair pasta is our all time favorite side with Parmesan Chicken. You can serve any of the following on the side:
- Pasta - Noodles pasta seasoned with olive oil and parmesan, or pesto (like you get in Cheese Cake Factory), or with extra marinara sauce.
- Rice - Boiled or Steamed. Use Brown Rice for more fiber-rich rice.
- Vegetable Salad - A lite salad complements Parmesan Chicken. I recommend Caesar Salad or Romaine Wedge Salad.
- Steamed Vegetable - Since it's homecooked meal, you can also go easy. Steamed broccoli or little cooked zucchini will work. Adds a serving of veggies into the meal.
It is a very simple recipe which needs just a few ingredients. Yet here are my favorite substitutes:
- No Breading Chicken Parmesan: Use only egg wash and parmesan to make gluten free chicken parmesan. Air Fryer does very good job of making crispy chicken parmesan without panko or flour. It looks and taste as-if breaded. Trust me, I make it very often.
- Mayo Chicken Parmesan: Replace egg wash with coat of mayo, then coat in parmesan + seasoning (with or without panko). This works well when I'm in hurry and want to spend no more than 20 minutes in kitchen.
Friends, cooking Parmesan Chicken in air fryer is very easy. Check more tips in my recipe notes to always cook crispy, the best Chicken Parm in air fryer, every time.
Honestly with this recipe you can make this Italian-classic favorite Chicken Dinner at home using much less oil and yet tasty delicious results. Try Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan this weekend and let me know how your family enjoyed it. Happy Cooking!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Learn how to make lite Chicken Parmesan in air fryer with this easy recipe video. Healthy dinner yet same Italian-style Chicken Parm flavor.
Try More Air Fryer Meals
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesanreviews) (7
- 1. Prepare Chicken: Place chicken breast halves, 2 at a time in large sheet of parchment. Season both sides of chicken with salt. Pound using a heavy skillet or flat side of meat pounder until almost even in thickness, about 1/2 inch.
- 2. Prepare Dredge Ingredients: In a medium bowl, add egg (well beaten). Season with pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside. In a wide plate (or pie plate), mix breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, oregano and basil. Set aside. Reserve a clean plate to keep the breaded chicken breasts.
- 3. Dredge Chicken : Using a tong (or one hand), dip each pounded chicken breast in egg wash. Let excess drip off. Transfer chicken to dish with breadcrumbs and cheese mix. Using right hand, cover chicken in crumbs. Press repeatedly until whole chicken breast is covered in crumbs from all sides. Set aside on a clean plate. Repeat for remaining 3 chicken breast halves.
- 4. Preheat Air Fryer : Place fryer rack in air fryer. Preheat air fryer at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, Air Fry setting, for 3 minutes. Once heated. Switch off. Spray or brush a single coat of cooking oil spay.
- 5. Air Fry Chicken Parmesan: Place breaded chicken, as many as you can fit in air fryer or cook in batches. Set to Air Fry at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. After first 6 minutes, pause fryer and flip the chicken. Continue cooking 3 more minutes. Pause fryer and top each piece with a dollop of marinara sauce and spread 2-3 tbsp of Mozzarella cheese on top. Continue cooking remining time or until cheese starts bubbling. Additional Notes: For golden crisps chicken, coat chicken with lite spray of oil.
- 6. Garnish and Serve: If cooking in batches, reserve cooked chicken in a microwave safe plate while other two pieces cook. to serve transfer Chicken Parmesan to serving plate. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve hot with pasta or zoodles.
- Flour Dredge or Not? When cooking in Air Fryer, I skip dredging chicken in dry all purpose flour. Panko crumbs adhere well to egg wash coated chicken cutlets. You can dredge in flour before dipping to egg wash but it is absolutely optional.
- Cooking Spray - I prefer to lite spray coat chicken breast on both sides for crispy golden air fried chicken parm cutlets. Chicken will air fry fine without spay but may not get golden brown. Only use oil spay or drizzle 1/2 tsp oil on top. Don't use brush to apply oil.
- For crispier Chicken Parm, cook chicken in batches, my large air fryer holds 4 chicken breast breaded cutlets in single layer. One batch is ready to serve in 12 minutes (+ 3 minutes preheat) at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Smaller fryer will need two rounds.
- If cooking in batches, reheat in microwave or remove second batch and heat first batch again in fryer 30 seconds before serving.
- Air Fried Chicken Parmesan keeps well for 2-3 days in refrigerator. Reheat and eat as desired.
- Use more marinara and cheese if you prefer.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.