Shredded Cauliflower Stuffed Flat Bread
Indian Gobi Paratha
Need more ways to eat cauliflower? How about, spiced cauliflower stuffed, whole wheat flat bread, for a delicious and healthy breakfast or dinner!
In-fact, this traditional, Cauliflower(gobi) stuffed Indian Flat bread (paratha) tastes SO SO good..... serve it for lunch, breakfast, or dinner, and it will still be everyone's favorite!
Someone once said, if you want to eat veggies instead of meat, you should start treating veggies like meat :) In this bread, my friends, veggies: cauliflower and herbs, get royal spice treatment and that will actually make you forget meat!
Really! I mean it!
Indian Stuffed flat breads are famous, for making main course meat or veggies curries, a side!
Even though, traditionally, stuffed breads are breakfast breads..... Shredded Cauliflower Stuffed Flat Bread is loved and enjoyed in all parts of India for breakfast and even for lunch. In my home, we even eat for dinner!
Cauliflower (also known as Gobi in India) is shredded and mixed with fresh herbs like cilantro and spices like ajwain (aromatic herb like thyme), anardana (dried pomegrante), dhania (coriander seeds), paprika, fresh chili, salt, and also little bit of small diced onions. This might stuffing/filling is then stuffed in whole wheat flour dough, rolled and shallow fried! Raw grated cauliflower cooks, just right, with heat of flat skillet and gets so so aromatic!
I mean, if you make it once, next time... you will NEVER miss the aroma! You can immediately guess it is Gobi Paratha cooking! *major drool effect*
It is THAT flavorful!
The best way to enjoy a Gobi Paratha is with chilled Sweet Yogurt or Raita. The spiced cauliflower filled in seared crispy bread, when soaked in chilled sweet yogurt! ohhhh! magic happens! I'm telling you, you will savor every bite!!
I don't know about you, but, even describing it making me hungry for one more Paratha Round! :)
I'm off to kitchen and you enjoy!! - Savita
Some Raita and Chutney Recipes to go with Gobi Paratha
Shredded Cauliflower Stuffed Flat Bread
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- 1 Cup Cauliflower (shredded or grated, 1/2 of small cauliflower)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1 tsp Pomegranates (dried ground seeds, anardana)
- 1 tsp Hot Green Pepper (small) (green chili, small chopped (optional))
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Powder (or paprika, lal mirch)
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds (slightly curshed, sookha dhaniya)
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain (or use thyme leaves)
- 1/4 Cup White Onion (very small chopped, 1/2 white onion)
- Bread Dough
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Water (or a little more per need)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
1. Bread Dough: To make dough, in a bowl, take one cup whole wheat flour, add salt and 1/4 cup water. Use spatula to bring the flour together to make dough. Then add few tablespoon flour at a time until dough fully comes together. Knead for 1-2 minutes. Cover and let dough rest, for about 10 minutes, before using it to make breads.2. Cauliflower Stuffing: While dough is resting, in an another bowl, add grated cauliflower and rest of the stuffing ingredients except salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Divide dough into 4-5 equal balls. Dredge each ball in dry wheat flour to avoid sticking to board or hands. Roll each to 2-3 inch circle. Place 2-3 heaping tablespoon of cauliflower filling in the center and sprinkle 1 pinch of salt. Fold the filling in dough and close it like you make a dumpling. Additional Notes: Sprinkle salt on stuffing when making dumpling rather then adding to whole stuffing at once. Salt draws out moisture from cauliflower and dough becomes very sticky and difficult to roll.4. Heat an iron skillet. Roll the stuffed dumpling to make flat bread of about 6 inches diameter. Place the flat bread on heated skillet, add 1 tsp oil and sear it for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 5. Repeat it for all remaining dough. Cauliflower parathas are ready! Serve hot with raita or acchar.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe