Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Posted By Savita
Cauliflower, mostly as curries are very famous as every-day no-meat main course in India. When I heard about these cauliflower rice, frankly.... I did not understand the deal. Cauliflower is cauliflower, what do we mean by "cauliflower rice"? A little search revealed, it is still our old favorite cauliflower, but processed a little fine to mimic rice texture and low-carb promise comes with it in a package.
I wanted to make cauliflower rice, but decided to add some spanish twist with cilantro, lime, cumin and garlic. When working with cauliflower, it is important to remember that cauliflower is a plain canvas, more colors (flavors) you paint on it, more beautiful (delicious) it gets.
Even though Vishal still ate these "cauliflower rice" with homemade wheat flat bread (Indian Roti), I enjoyed a plate-full as-is with some grilled tofu on side. He kept repeating, "trust me, it is just cauliflower, rice thing-y is gimmick". I tell you, if something gets a healthy stamp, he anyways has 10 concerns about it, you know him by now ;)
These cauliflower rice has my seal-of-approval. I loved every bite and who does not love full-stomach yet low-carb low-starch promise??? for the record... Vishal doesn't :)
Purple Heirloom Cauliflower
I am not sure if you will find these purple cauliflower anywhere or not. There is no difference in taste anyways. but... if you can find, I recommend trying it!
Don't you like this gorgeous purple color?? I loved it!!
Also working with purple cauliflower was lot of fun too!!
First, it turned violet as I added it to pan. more I stirred, more violet it got. As if it is very angre on me for exposing to direct heat. I was sooo worried.... felt like dinner is messed up, there will be Chinese takeout today ;) but..... I still kept going..... felt.... even though Vishal won't eat, it is not bad, I can at-least see what happens to this cauliflower after it turns violet..
hmmmm.... I finished cooking as planned, then added lime juice, cilantro and seasonings. amazingly, cauliflower turned to gorgeous purple color again! The acid in lime and cooling helped it restore it's original color! I was soooo happy, effort saved and great experience to share, what else a blogger wants? I guess, a plate of cauliflower rice :)
Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy cooking delicious meals at home.
How about some grilled tofu or salmon on the side?
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Cauliflower (1 head, about 25-28 oz)
- 2 Lime (1.5 tbsp lime juice, use rest for garnish)
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste, I used 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt)
- 3 Green Onion (thin sliced, white and greens divided)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Green Peas (I have used frozen peas)
- 2 Garlic (2 medium cloves of garlic, fine chopped ( about 1 tsp))
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (preferably roasted)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Remove cauliflower florets from stem. Discard hard stems. I have used all the soft stems in rice, just discarded the bottom hard ones.2. In food processor, pulse cauliflower florets in small batches to coarse pieces. Don't overcrowd the processor or florets at the bottom will get very fine and mushy when cooked.
3. Pulse only 6-7 times, don't make cauliflower too fine.4. Heat olive oil in a wide pan, add chopped garlic and white of green onions. Saute for 1 minute or until onions are just soft. Add cauliflower and cumin powder.
5. On high heat, cook cauliflower stirring often until water has evaporated and cauliflower pieces have slight brown edges here-and-there. about 5-6 minutes, then add frozen peas and half of cilantro. Gently stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until peas are tender.
Additional NotesIf using purple cauliflower, it will start turning violet at this stage. Don't worry it is just because of contact with heat.6. Remove from heat and add remaining cilantro, salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Gently fold in to season the rice well. Taste and adjust salt. Garnish with greens of green onion. And here you go, low-carb, delicious cauliflower rice are ready! Serve with grilled or roasted meat for dinner or just for lunch.
Additional NotesIf using purple cauliflower, you will notice it has started going back to it's original vibrant purple color. amazing!! isn't it? Also, this is an indication that lime juice is thoroughly distributed in rice or not :)
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.