Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup with garlic, herbs and basil. Easy to prepare, gluten free, and perfect for a chili weather meal. (including instructions to make tomato soup on Stove Top, Instant Pot)
When it comes to comfort food, nothing tops a creamy velvety Tomato Soup with side of a crusty bread. This Tomato Soup recipe makes deliciously creamy and comforting Tomato Soup with flavor of fresh herbs and garlic. I have included instructions to cook soup on the Stove Top and Instant Pot.
Soup is very easy and quick to prepare, needs only 10 minutes of prep. I first shared this soup few years ago with a Herb Monkey Bread. It has also been featured in a Gluten Free Magazine. This recipe is sure a keeper.
If you like Creamy Soups? You will love my collection of creamy soup recipes on the blog. Creamy Broccoli Soup, Creamy Asparagus Soup, Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Pumpkin Bisque, Creamy Sweet Potato Soup to name a few.
One of the best way to beat cold weather is to hold a bowl of creamy tomato soup laced with fresh basil and crusty bread croutons. This recipe for creamy Tomato Soup makes a silky soup bursting with flavor of garlic, herbs, and cream. It's rich and warmth will warm you from within.
Creamy Tomato Soup is one of the most frequent soup (after Chicken Noodle Soup) that we love to enjoy for lunch in winters.
Soup in Bread Bowl
During holidays, we often get sourdough bread bowls from the bakery, pour fresh made creamy soup into the bread bowls and devour while watching TV. The consistency of this tomato soup is perfect to serve in a Bread Bowl. I highly recommend trying this combination.
A sure way to impress guests. (hint hint)
What Do You Need To Make Creamy Tomato Soup?
This is a very easy and quick soup recipe which needs only a few ingredients. Plus I have added a complete list of substitutes to make this soup pantry friendly. To make the soup you need following ingredients (check recipe notes for the substitutes)
- San Marzano Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Chicken Stock
- Italian Seasoning
I use mainly three ingredients to boast flavor of the soup i.e. garlic, herbs, and chicken stock.
TIP: If tomatoes are very tart/acidic, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while simmering tomatoes and stock. Baking Soda neutralize the acidity of tomatoes, brings out sweetness of tomato soup.
Here's how you can change this Tomato Soup recipe soup vegan:
- Use of coconut milk instead of heavy cream
- Use only olive oil and no butter
- Add veggie stock instead of chicken stock.
This soup is gluten free. No slurry or thickeners used. All creamy and thick texture is the magic of pureed San Marzano tomatoes and cream.
Picture from Archive
Here's picture from Archive. This recipe was featured in Gluten Free Soups Magazine. Today I re-clicked the pictures to share this recipe again.
Using Fresh Tomatoes instead of canned?
With fresh tomatoes this soup will take longer to cook and will not be that intense in flavor. If you still wish to use fresh tomatoes, for better results, I suggest to blanch red-ripe roma tomatoes, and then make the soup as per instructions in the Recipe Card.
Friends, this creamy Tomato Soup is a great time saver if you want to enjoy a warm and comforting homemade soup and bread for dinner. Soup needs only 10 minutes of prep and tastes so flavorful, creamy, as if simmered and spent whole day cooking it. If you have guest coming over during cold winter days, instead of tea/coffee, be a gusto host and greet them with a cup tomato soup in Bread Bowls.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Some delectable Dinner Rolls/Breads to accompany this soup:
Creamy Tomato Soupreviews) (9
1. Sauté Aromatics : Heat butter and oil in a dutch oven. Add chopped onion, garlic, and then cook until onions are translucent. (about 2-3 minutes) Don't let garlic burn. Add Italian seasoning and cook for 30 seconds to awaken the flavor of herbs.2. Add Tomatoes and Stock: Add puree tomatoes, chicken stock with tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Additional Notes: If using crushed tomatoes, puree using a hand blender before adding to the pot.
3. Simmer Soup: Bring tomatoes mixture to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add black pepper to taste and adjust salt (if needed). Turn off the heat. Now, stir in cream. Return soup to heat and simmer on low heat, gently, until soup thickens and heated through.4. Garnish and Serve: Stir in 3/4 of fresh chopped basil. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into serving bowls, garnish with remaining basil and serve.
- If you don't have chicken stock or veggie stock, then use one bouillon cube (mixed in 1/4 cup of the hot water) and remaining additional water.
- Amount of sugar will vary based on acidity of tomatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning in the soup before serving.
- Sweeter Tomato Soup: If tomatoes used are very tart/acidic, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while simmering tomatoes and stock. Baking Soda neutralize the acidity of tomatoes, brings out sweet flavor of the soup.
- Looking for Vegan Soup? - Use coconut milk instead of cream, veggie stock, & oil instead of butter.
- To make soup in Instant Pot, cook aromatics at Sauté Setting in Instant Pot. Pressure cook everything in Step-3 (before adding cream) in IP on high pressure for 3 minutes and quick release. Add cream and then simmer until soup thickens. Garnish and serve as suggested.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
ToniI love how comforting this is!! So easy to make, too!
SavitaThanks. It's a comforting meal, for sure.
Aimee MarsBookmarking for this fall. Looking for something easy and delicious and this hits all my checkboxes. Thank you for sharing!
GwynnTomato Soup is my go-to comfort food and I love that I can make this delicious homemade tomato soup now! So much better than canned soup for sure!
CaseyI cant believe how easy and delicious this soup is....tastes NOTHING like the canned stuff! I'll never go back to that!
LisaPerfect! I am making lots of soup for "soup season".
SavitaLove soup season!
Lauren Michael HarrisI had been craving tomato soup a lot lately! Made a big batch and will be freezing for later - its delicious!
NicoleYum Yum Yum! Delicious soup!
Mandy ApplegateWhat a delicious soup!
GloriaHomemade tomato soup is so good. I have some tomatoes in the freezer that will work perfectly in this recipe. A great way to warm up on a cold winter day.
DesimejwaniSoup looks beautiful and tempting to have:) Extraordinary clicks:)
SavitaDesimejwani, thanks! glad you like it!
SavitaRitu, thanks! I am glad you like this soup. :)
rituThis soup looks great savita. I would love to have this soup right away. It is my all time favourite. :)
SavitaThanks for stopping by ! Indeed! those childhood days... soup days... Soup was never a dinner for us back then. drink soups, eat samosas, what not, and then still eat supper. All that, but amazingly it never added any weight on waist-line ;) these days... just soup and I think I am done!
ManaliOh yes Tomato Soup is the most popular soup in India my miles. In fact growing up I don't think we knew about any other soup, no kidding. I used to drink lots of Maggi & Knorr Tomato soups..you reminded me of good old days Savita! :) This looks so creamy and yum and perfect for winters!
Savita@Farin, thank you so much. and you are so right, this tomato soup is yummy and creamy :)
Savitathanks @Mira, me too is tomato soup fan. wish you enjoy some soup soon :)
farin ahmedyummy creamy soup love...
miraI love soup and tomato is my favorite kind! Looks delicious, need to make some soon!
Savita@Neeli Raj, I too had lots of Knorr Soups growing up. Knorr tomato soup and sweet-sour were my favorites :) I am sure you will love the homemade tomato soup even better. Just use fresh basil if can't find seasoning. You know, in India, I often used leftover Seasoning frm in Pizza Hut delivery in soups. :)
BryanM'm M'm good!
Neeli Rajlove tomato soups! We often get Knorr's tomato soup (dry ones), mix in some fresh vegetables and drink at night. I am not sure of finding italian seasoning but I will try this.