Creamy Tomato Soup
Posted By Savita
I promised to share the soup, I made, to accompany Herb Monkey Bread last Friday. So keeping the promise! This classic creamy tomato soup is my quick fix to an easy winter dinner.
When I made Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup few weeks back, I shared the recipe and remembered old times spent with my grandpa.... and making of tomato soups.... Creamy Tomato Soup is probably THE most common soup consumed in India. (at-least in my home it was very common during winters...)
Vishal and I, both love Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup too, but Vishal is Not so fan of chunky and veggie filled soups. In other words, if I want happy husband and easy dinner then this creamy tomato soup is life saver! If I have time and need a hearty tomato soup, (and also have time for health lecture and benefit of veggies in soups, and use of less cream is better arguments..... ;) ), then Roasted Garlic Tomato is the way to go!
Really! this soup is a great time saver if you want to enjoy a warm and comforting homemade soup and bread dinner in hurry. From start to finish soup takes only 20 minutes and tastes so flavorful, creamy, and velvety! Or if you have guest coming over during cold winter days, instead of tea/coffee, be a gusto host, greet'em with a cup of this easy, warm, and comforting tomato soup.
No, this soup is not vegan. As the name suggest, this soup has a good serving of cream ( and chicken stock for flavor). However, you can make this soup vegan with use of coconut milk instead of heavy cream and use only olive oil and no butter and veggie stock instead of chicken stock. Easy! Right?
Oh yes! This soup is gluten free. No slurry or thickeners used. All creamy and thick texture is the magic of pureed San Marzano tomatoes and cream.
Using Fresh Tomatoes instead of canned?
Well!! with fresh tomatoes this soup will take longer to cook and will not be that intense in flavor. If you still wish to use fresh tomatoes, for better results, I suggest you to blanch red-ripe roma tomatoes, and then make the soup as per instructions below.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Some delectable Dinner Rolls/Breads to accompany this soup:
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 Cup Tomatoes (16 ounce, canned, pureed or diced tomatoes, preferably San Marzano)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Cup Chicken Stock (use low-sodium)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Yellow Onion (small onion, small diced)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 tbsp Sugar (or more, as per taste if tomatoes are very acidic.)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic (fine minced)
- Basil (fresh chopped basil, optional)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Heat butter and oil in a dutch oven. Add chopped onion, garlic, and then cook until onions are translucent. (about 2-3 minutes) Don't let garlic burn.2. Using a hand blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add to the pot with chicken stock and italian seasoning.
3. Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to medium. Cook covered for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add black pepper to taste and adjust salt (if needed). Turn off the heat. Now, stir in cream.
Additional NotesI have added about 1/3 cup of heavy cream and served some on side. Depending upon, how cream you like this soup, you can add 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup.4. Add the basil (if using) and stir. Remove from heat. Serve the soup warm!
If you don't have chicken stock or veggie stock, then use one bouillon cube (mixed in 2-3 tbsp of hot water) and 2 cups of additional water.
Amount of sugar will vary based on acidity of tomatoes. Some canned tomatoes are more tart in taste. So taste and adjust seasoning in soup once done cooking.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please DO NOT copy content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.