Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup with garlic, herbs and basil. Easy to prepare, gluten free, and perfect for a chili weather meal. (including instructions to make tomato soup on Stove Top, Instant Pot)
When it comes to comfort food, nothing tops a creamy velvety Tomato Soup with side of a crusty bread. This Tomato Soup recipe makes deliciously creamy and comforting Tomato Soup with flavor of fresh herbs and garlic. I have included instructions to cook soup on the Stove Top and Instant Pot.
Soup is very easy and quick to prepare, needs only 10 minutes of prep. I first shared this soup few years ago with a Herb Monkey Bread. It has also been featured in a Gluten Free Magazine. This recipe is sure a keeper.
If you like Creamy Soups? You will love my collection of creamy soup recipes on the blog. Creamy Broccoli Soup, Creamy Asparagus Soup, Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Pumpkin Bisque, Creamy Sweet Potato Soup to name a few.
One of the best way to beat cold weather is to hold a bowl of creamy tomato soup laced with fresh basil and crusty bread croutons. This recipe for creamy Tomato Soup makes a silky soup bursting with flavor of garlic, herbs, and cream. It's rich and warmth will warm you from within.
Creamy Tomato Soup is one of the most frequent soup (after Chicken Noodle Soup) that we love to enjoy for lunch in winters.
Soup in Bread Bowl
During holidays, we often get sourdough bread bowls from the bakery, pour fresh made creamy soup into the bread bowls and devour while watching TV. The consistency of this tomato soup is perfect to serve in a Bread Bowl. I highly recommend trying this combination.
A sure way to impress guests. (hint hint)
What Do You Need To Make Creamy Tomato Soup?
This is a very easy and quick soup recipe which needs only a few ingredients. Plus I have added a complete list of substitutes to make this soup pantry friendly. To make the soup you need following ingredients (check recipe notes for the substitutes)
- San Marzano Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Chicken Stock
- Italian Seasoning
I use mainly three ingredients to boast flavor of the soup i.e. garlic, herbs, and chicken stock.
TIP: If tomatoes are very tart/acidic, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while simmering tomatoes and stock. Baking Soda neutralize the acidity of tomatoes, brings out sweetness of tomato soup.
Here's how you can change this Tomato Soup recipe soup vegan:
- Use of coconut milk instead of heavy cream
- Use only olive oil and no butter
- Add veggie stock instead of chicken stock.
This soup is gluten free. No slurry or thickeners used. All creamy and thick texture is the magic of pureed San Marzano tomatoes and cream.
Picture from Archive
Here's picture from Archive. This recipe was featured in Gluten Free Soups Magazine. Today I re-clicked the pictures to share this recipe again.
Using Fresh Tomatoes instead of canned?
With fresh tomatoes this soup will take longer to cook and will not be that intense in flavor. If you still wish to use fresh tomatoes, for better results, I suggest to blanch red-ripe roma tomatoes, and then make the soup as per instructions in the Recipe Card.
Friends, this creamy Tomato Soup is a great time saver if you want to enjoy a warm and comforting homemade soup and bread for dinner. Soup needs only 10 minutes of prep and tastes so flavorful, creamy, as if simmered and spent whole day cooking it. If you have guest coming over during cold winter days, instead of tea/coffee, be a gusto host and greet them with a cup tomato soup in Bread Bowls.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Some delectable Dinner Rolls/Breads to accompany this soup:
Creamy Tomato Soupreviews) (9
1. Sauté Aromatics : Heat butter and oil in a dutch oven. Add chopped onion, garlic, and then cook until onions are translucent. (about 2-3 minutes) Don't let garlic burn. Add Italian seasoning and cook for 30 seconds to awaken the flavor of herbs.2. Add Tomatoes and Stock: Add puree tomatoes, chicken stock with tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Additional Notes: If using crushed tomatoes, puree using a hand blender before adding to the pot.
3. Simmer Soup: Bring tomatoes mixture to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add black pepper to taste and adjust salt (if needed). Turn off the heat. Now, stir in cream. Return soup to heat and simmer on low heat, gently, until soup thickens and heated through.4. Garnish and Serve: Stir in 3/4 of fresh chopped basil. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into serving bowls, garnish with remaining basil and serve.
- If you don't have chicken stock or veggie stock, then use one bouillon cube (mixed in 1/4 cup of the hot water) and remaining additional water.
- Amount of sugar will vary based on acidity of tomatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning in the soup before serving.
- Sweeter Tomato Soup: If tomatoes used are very tart/acidic, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda while simmering tomatoes and stock. Baking Soda neutralize the acidity of tomatoes, brings out sweet flavor of the soup.
- Looking for Vegan Soup? - Use coconut milk instead of cream, veggie stock, & oil instead of butter.
- To make soup in Instant Pot, cook aromatics at Sauté Setting in Instant Pot. Pressure cook everything in Step-3 (before adding cream) in IP on high pressure for 3 minutes and quick release. Add cream and then simmer until soup thickens. Garnish and serve as suggested.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.