Creamy Asparagus Soup, flavorful with hint of spices and velvety without creams. Only 35 minutes start to finish, this soup is perfect for chili night dinner.
Creamy Asparagus Soup with hint of spices and bright fresh color of fresh asparagus. This delicious soup is made without cream - only half and half, veggies, and stock pureed to perfectly creamy soup. Also sharing easy tips to make velvety cream of asparagus soup every time.
This soup is gluten free, can be vegetarian/vegan, and has bright color of spring asparagus shinning through with addition of one simple ingredient. (check in recipe card). So let's make some Asparagus Soup! Shall we?
ASPARAGUS SOUP WITHOUT CREAM OR HALF AND HALF:
This asparagus soup recipe is made without cream, with half and half. Half and Half is - half cream and half milk. You can also make the soup without half and half and use one of following in Step 4 of Recipe.
- Asparagus Soup with Greek Yogurt: To use yogurt, after pureeing the soup in Step 3, add yogurt in last batch. Then mix with rest of soup in the pot. I recommend not to re-heat the soup after adding yogurt.
- Asparagus Soup with Coconut Milk: Use full-fat coconut milk. Add 1/2 well mixed coconut milk instead of half-half or cream in Step-4. Mix well until fully mixed into the soup. You can also gently heat the soup.
- Asparagus Soup Vegan: For vegan asparagus soup, use the Coconut Milk as stated in suggestion 2 above. Also, substitute the Chicken
Stock with Vegetable Stock.
- For extra-low-calorie soup, simply skip finishing the soup with Half and Half. Soup will still be creamy because of cooked Potato in the soup.
Garnish this delicious soup with some crunchy toppings or shaved tips of asparagus. In crunchy toppings, I love to use garlic croutons, toasted pumpkin seeds, and/or fried asparagus tips.
Every grocery store is selling load of asparagus. I came home with inspiration to try something new. Last week it was Roasted Salmon and Asparagus Dinner. This week Asparagus Soup. What else would you like to see? Leave a comment below and share with me.
Wish you all Happy Holidays! -Savita
Asparagus Soupreview) (1
- 1. Prepare Ingredients for Asparagus Soup: Wash asparagus. Trim the hard ends of asparagus and discard. Peel and dice potato. Rough chop garlic, onion and spinach. Zest the lime. Set aside.
- 2. Cook Flavor Base for Soup: Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom dutch oven. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, cumin powder. Saute until onions are soft (about 3 minutes). Now add diced potatoes, 1.5 cups of chicken stock with 1/2 tsp of salt. (See Note 1 if using water instead of stock) Bring to boil and then simmer until potatoes are fork tender. (about 10 minutes)
- 3. Prepare Asparagus Soup: Now add rough chopped asparagus, spinach and continue cook until asparagus is tender and bright green in color, about 5 minutes. Take soup off heat. Blend soup in stand mixer/blender in 2-3 batches or until soup is completely smooth. Additional Notes: See Tips in Note 2 on how to achieve good soup consistency
- 4. Season and Serve Soup: Return soup back to pot. Add lime zest, half and half. Gently mix. (simmer gently if needed) Taste and adjust salt and black pepper. Asparagus Soup is ready! Serve while still hot. See Note 3 for topping suggestions. Enjoy!
- Water vs Chicken Stock: If planning to use water instead of Chicken Stock. Add a Bouillon Cube (chicken flavor) to compensate for the flavor.
- Stand Blender vs Stick Blender for Soup Consistency - Soups such as Broccoli or Asparagus should always be blended with Stand Mixer. I use vitamix blender and blend each batch for 10 seconds on High for creamy and smooth consistency. (please note hand stick blender is not so good option for cream of vegetable soups. It does not create creamy texture like stand mixer/blender does.)
- Topping Suggestions: I love serving soup topped with toasted Pepita Seeds, Candied Walnuts, Fried Asparagus Tips, or Garlic Croutons for crunch.
- Spinach gives Asparagus Soup bright green color. It is totally optional if you don't like/have spinach.
- For extra-low-calorie soup, you can skip finishing the soup with Half and Half or use less half and half. Soup will still be creamy because of cooked Potato in the soup.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
margaretcan I use Kale instead of spinach
SavitaI have never tried Kale for this soup. However, since Kale greens are far more sturdy than spinach. If using Kale, I would cook kale until it's leaves are tender.
AnnHey Savita! I made this fab asparagus soup for a family meal over the weekend. I followed your recipe precisely, and this turned out so flavorful and satisfying! My entire family loved it! I just wanna say a big thank you for all of your recipes, tips, and tricks. Im so happy I discovered your blog a couple months ago. Its beneficial. Ill definitely be back for more of the recipes. Keep up the good work! <3