BBQ Chicken Drumsticks with Honey-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Grilled Chicken drumsticks slathered in homemade sweet, smokey, spicy, and flavorful.... Honey and Chipotle Pepper BBQ Sauce, served with side of Grilled Corn and Chickpeas Succotash! Does this sound like a winner summer family dinner or not?
Grilled BBQ Chicken dinner is our favorite way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon with friends. Specially in summers, such meals make weekend even more interesting!
So I thought to share with you, one of my absolute favorite BBQ Chicken and homemade BBQ sauce recipe, which is staple in my family dinner gatherings.
Most of my friends know my love for Latin spices and peppers. Specially, Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, is one such ingredient which shows up in my recipes everywhere! There is something about smoky and spicy bite of chipotle that intrigues me to use it in LOT of my American, even in Indian-Fusion meals!
I'm not a 'Latin Cuisine Expert' but certainly a 'Latin Flavor Enthusiast'. First taste of Chipotle Sauce, and I was hooked to this cuisine for life. Be it Chicken Tinga, Chipotle Sofritas, Chipotle Beer BBQ Sauce, or Poblano Sofritas Verde...... My family loves Mexican/Latin flavors and I'm never tired of serving them my twisted-recipes, featuring many of these flavors. Like today's meal, BBQ chicken and Succotash, can't get more American than this, has BIG punch of flavor from: Chipotle in Adobo, and Jalapenos.
For anyone who don't know about Chipotle in Adobo. Chipotle Peppers in Adobo are actually smoked dried Jalapenos which are re-hydrated by simmering in a sauce which has onion, garlic, vinegar, and some other spices. In one word, this sauce is where heat of jalapenos meets tang of vinegar, aroma of Latin spices with a pronounced smoky flavor.
Right there, above description, reminds me of a good BBQ Sauce! Isn't it?
I mean, what do you look for, in a good BBQ Sauce? Some smoky flavor, some heat, some tang, and subtle kiss of spices?! I'm sure, you will say, what about sweet!? That's why, my friends, I have honey in this recipe. Sweetness of honey transforms Chipotles to Honey-Chipotle BBQ sauce!
Honey-Chipotle sauces recipe is very simple and straight forward. All you need is some good Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce and a few very basic pantry ingredients. Mix all ingredients and simmer for 20-25 minutes and you have a delicious Homemade BBQ sauce. You can make this sauce at-least 1 week in advance and then use it for everything, from BBQ Chicken to Breakfast Chicken Quesadilla! I'm telling you this from experience. This sauce is SO in demand in my friend-circle that I'm often bottling it for giveaways!
I hope you having a great Monday! Don't forget to check out La Morena products at Walmart. I'd love to hear your favorite!
Few more Chicken Wings/Drumsticks recipes from my recipe repertoire:
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks with Honey-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Chipotle in Adobo (3.5 ounce, I used La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce)
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds (or use 1/2 tsp coriander powder, both optional)
- 1 Garlic (cloves, slight crushed)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 lbs Chicken (drumsticks, about 8-10 by count)
- Oil Spray (for grill)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Chickpeas
- 2 Corn (on cob)
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper (yelow or red, small diced)
- 1 Jalapeno (pickled, small diced, I used La Morena Whole Pickled Jalapeno)
- 1 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Honey-Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Mix all ingredients for Honey-Chipotle BBQ in a deep heavy bottom sauce pan, mix well, bring to boil, then simmer medium-high heat for 25 minutes. (stir once or twice in between)2. Let sauce cool slightly, then puree using immersion blender. Set aside if using immediately. Or let it cool fully. Pour in a glass container with lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. BBQ Chicken Drumsticks - Pat dry chicken drumsticks with paper towel. Season with salt, fresh ground black pepper and smoked paprika.4. Preheat the gas/charcoal grill. Coat grill with oil spray. Place the chicken drumsticks on grill with fatty/meaty side down. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then continue grill for about 12-15 minutes, then turn and cook other side until fully cooked. If making, Corn Succotash, place corn cobs on grill, turn every 2-3 minutes until nice charred and cooked through.
5. Last 5 minutes before finishing cooking, brush generous coating of Honey-Chipotle BBQ sauce on drumsticks and continue cooking.
Additional NotesIt is important to use sauce in last 5 minutes, so as not to burn the sauce too much on grill.6. Corn-Jalapeno Succotash - Ready all ingredients for corn succotash. Chop bell pepper, garlic, onion, jalapeno, rinse chickpeas, and remove grilled corn kernels from the cob.
7. Heat oil in a wide saute pan, add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion are soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Now, add chopped jalapeno, chickpeas, sugar, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Fold in corn kernels, parsley and remove from heat. Set aside.8. Serve BBQ chicken drumsticks with corn succotash on side. Enjoy a delicious meal!
To save time, cook succotash while cooking bbq sauce.
Honey-Chipotle BBQ Sauce yields 1 cup. Recipe uses 1/4 cup. You can use as much as you like. Or use it to cook up to 4-5 pounds of drumsticks for bigger group.
As per my taste, Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce is mild spicy. Taste the sauce after cooking and cooling a bit. If you find it too spicy, add 1-2 tbsp more honey. If you want more spicy, add 1-2 tbsp more adobo sauce.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.