Malai Chicken Tikka
Juicy zesty grilled chicken, marinated in ginger, garlic, lemon, spices, and cream! Grilled topped with cheese for out-of-the-world grilled chicken kababs!
Posted By Savita
Malai Chicken Tikka, or murgh malai is a mouthwatering juicy grilled chicken recipe, with chicken pieces marinated in chilies, garlic, lemon, spices. and cream (malai in Hindi). A little different from regular grilled chicken tikka, this is a kind of chicken which can be served many ways - as appetizer, snack, or main course with naan bread or rice.
Malai Chicken Tikka is known by many names, chicken malai kabab, murgh malai tikka or sometimes even referred as just Murgh Malai. This gave me real hard time in deciding the right title for the recipe. At the end, I thought the word 'malai' means cream, will make it self explanatory and 'tikka' is something everyone knows! So, Malai Chicken Tikka it is! :)
You know what? Even though known by many names, in simple words, malai chicken tikka is griled chicken kabobs with unique combination of spices and cream with cheese. I must mention, cheese was not something always used in traditional malai tikka but it does take the flavor of cream to whole other level! pure tase of malai in every bite! yumm!
This recipe is not so known outside India, I should say, Indian food lovers.
Now, that does not mean it is complex but bursting with flavor. So, I decided to present it you two ways -
a new grilled chicken recipe to feature in Memorial Day Cookout
a new way to weekday chicken dinner.
The best part is, you don't have to switch on grill on weekdays to cook malai tikka. It can be prepared in a heavy bottom pan on stove top. Or can even be cooked in oven. My kitchen gets supper hot in summers so I prefer stove top or outdoor grill... but in winters, this recipe is easy to pull together in oven.
So, here you go, cooking method is no longer an excuse to cook delicious chicken malai tikka! :) Follow the recipe, oven instructions are including in notes.
To make chicken malai tikka, I start by cutting the chicken into kabab size pieces. At this time, I also soak wooden skewers in water so that these not burn while grilling. If you use metal skewers? Then this step is not required.
Malai Chicken marinade is mix of cilantro, green chilies, spices, cream, and garlic. A quick mix of marinade, then chicken goes into the marinade.. I like to marinate chicken for at least 30 mins for good flavor in every bite.
If cooking for weekday dinner, chicken can be marinated a day in advance. Once marinated, I skew the chicken on skewers, grill or cook in cast iron skillet indoor.
That's it!! Murgh Malai Tikka is ready!!
Grab some naan, splash lime juice, serve and enjoy!
Serve a side of green chutney if you like. Devour!!
I hope you enjoy!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Malai Chicken Tikka
- 1.5 lbs Chicken (breast or thigh, small cubed)
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Serrano pepper (or 2 small green chili peppers)
- 4 Garlic (cloves)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 tbsp Lime (juice, zest of 1 lime, more lime wedges for serving)
- 2 tbsp Yogurt (thick, greek-style yogurt)
- 1 tsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-2 tbsp Cilantro (more for garnish)
- 1-2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted, for basting, optional)
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
Malai Chicken Tikka
1. In a food processor, add chili, peeled ginger, garlic, cilantro, yogurt, lime juice, zest (if using). Pulse to make smooth puree. Transfer to a bowl. Add heavy cream, salt, corn starch, garam masala. Mix well. Add cubed chicken, coat well and marinade for 15-20 minutes (up to overnight) in refrigerator.
2. Before grilling, remove chicken from refrigerator, add in shredded mozzarella cheese. Mix well, then skew pieces of chicken into skewers.
3. Preheat grill. Spray oil on grill, cook chicken 10 minutes each side (turn half way and bast with melted butter) or cook until chicken has fully cooked and cheese is brown and bubbling! Remove malai chicken tikka in a plate, garnish with chopped cilantro. **Serve with side of lime wedges and green chutney! Enjoy!
To cook in oven, preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Place chicken skewers on a rack placed on top of a sheet tray. Cook for 20 minutes, bast with butter after 15 minutes and return to cook. After 20 minutes cooking, switch-on the broiler and broil for 5 minutes for golden bubbly chard cheese layer.
For serving as meal, serve Garlic Naan on side! Enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.